Changing from IDE to SATA

Silent.Sin

Gawd
I've been holding out on switching over to SATA until I really had to cuz why fix it if it ain't broke? Well a perfect storm just aligned itself so I'm finally biting the bullet and going fully SATA. The older of my two WD800JBs just started making some scary sounding clicks and whines but hasn't yet corrupted anything. It is audible enough to hear over my system fans tho :eek: Also my old lite-on DVD drive crapped out and will no longer read DVDs so I'm getting with the 21st century and got a SATA DVD burner to replace the DVD drive and my old plextor CD-R in one fell swoop. Hooray no more ribbons!! Getting a new case as well to round out the upgrade.

Long story short I was just wondering what procedure I should use in order to get my new Seagate 250GB 7200.10 up and booting WinXP. Reformatting should be a last resort as it really shouldn't be necessary in order to do this. I did some research (ie- google) and came back with a recommendation for Acronis Easy Migrate. Has anyone here used this? Is it any good? I saw it had a full featured free trial so that's always a plus. Any other recommendations on what software I can use to make the migration? I'm hoping it's as easy as hooking the SATA drives up, migrating, then disconnecting the IDE drives. Thanks a million.

In case anyone's curious here's all the stuff I'm getting:
Seagate 250GB 7200.10 single platter
Lite-On 20X SATA DVD burner
Rosewill R604-P SL

PS- feel free to switch this to the disk drive section if needed I couldn't really decide where this should go since it was more of a software + hardware question.

Back