Cheap home theater vs. Klipsch Promedia 5.1 Ultra

Noah

Limp Gawd
I've often lunked to an 800-watt Panasonic system I was considering for TV and computer sound output. I'm willing to sacrifice TV output if the sound is better with the Klipsch.

What would you suggest?

Klipsch Ultra all the way. A home theater in a box is a waste of money, it's like buying an eMachine, technically it's a computer but I wouldn't call it one.

If you're looking for something decent on the cheap, Infinity has a speaker package called the TSS which is 4 sats, a center, and a sub in an inexpensive package. Throw that togather with a inexpensive reciever and you can have a nice system for about $500 which will kill any HTIB in terms of performance, longevity, and versility.

Yea, avoid Home Theater In A Box like (insert something bad here).

There are somewhat cheaper speakers out there, especially for the price of some of these computer speakers ($300!!!).

I have never heard any fluance speakers, but for the Price I would really consider it.
Their 5 speaker package (2 floorstanding, 2 bookshelf, 1 center) goes for $200us or $260us (depends on which one)>
http://www.fluance.com

The reviews always seem good. I just wish there was a place near me where I could listen to them.

Edit: were you thinking of using these for a computer setup, or for Home Theater speakers?

towert7 said:
I have never heard any fluance speakers, but for the Price I would really consider it.
Their 5 speaker package (2 floorstanding, 2 bookshelf, 1 center) goes for $200us or $260us (depends on which one)>
http://www.fluance.com

The reviews always seem good. I just wish there was a place near me where I could listen to them.

Edit: were you thinking of using these for a computer setup, or for Home Theater speakers?

Uh... no. Very inefficient speakers made with cheap components. Seriously those TSS are what I would look at. They use the same CMMD material that they use on the drivers of the Preludes (a $10k pair of speakers) and a good solid design. The enclosures are not the greatest, but no sat speaker is, but all round a great speaker for the price.

Or do what I did and use Klipsch RF7s, which do wonders for games. hehehe

StorageJoe said:
Uh... no. Very inefficient speakers made with cheap components.
Do you own the set, or have you ever owned the set for that matter? (I think I know the answer to this, but maybe im wrong)

oh, i'm sure his opinion is correct, tower, he can hear the difference between power cables... :rolleyes:

on topic, the fluances ain't bad for what you pay for them...

still waiting for a link to the panny set from the op...

You get what you pay for them. You can't expect towers for that price to be of any kind of quality, but a satelite for that price is a little more reasonable. No I do not own a pair of these nor would I. i have never bought a speaker that I couldn't audition first. Can I hear the difference with a fancy power cord.... no. Do I have them.... sure, why not.

My proposal (the Infinity TSS) was a package from a reputable manufacturer and of superior materials (ie. CMMD drivers instead of poly drivers). So in conclusion, you get what you pay for.

There are actually some good HTiB setups. For example, the Onkyo S7*0 series. However, these weigh in in the $400-500 range. The sub on the Klipsches may be slightly better, but the midrange and highs should be significantly better on the Onkyos.

StorageJoe said:
You get what you pay for them. You can't expect towers for that price to be of any kind of quality, but a satelite for that price is a little more reasonable. No I do not own a pair of these nor would I. i have never bought a speaker that I couldn't audition first. Can I hear the difference with a fancy power cord.... no. Do I have them.... sure, why not.
Yup, I knew you were going to say that.

Remind me not to listen to your suggestions ^_^.

To everyone else, what Joe did wrong, was to say a speaker is bad because it is a cheap price $$$. The second thing he did wong, was say the speaker is bad, when he never saw them in person or listened to them. This type of person is dangerous.

ccotenj, you were right on the money 100%!

towert7 said:
Yup, I knew you were going to say that.

Remind me not to listen to your suggestions ^_^.

To everyone else, what Joe did wrong, was to say a speaker is bad because it is a cheap price $$$. The second thing he did wong, was say the speaker is bad, when he never saw them in person or listened to them. This type of person is dangerous.

ccotenj, you were right on the money 100%!

I don't have a problem with the fact that they are cheap. There are some really good really well made cheap speakers. These just don't happen to be one of them.

I'm basing my assumptions off of the AV-F3 as they are the only ones cheap enough to hit the price points you mention.

First off, soft dome titanium tweeter. The whole point of a titanium tweeter is that it is rigid and unlike an aluminim tweeter, will not produce a ringing above 10KHz or so. Making a titanium softdome defeates the benefits of titanium entirely, good softdomes are silk.

Secondly, the poly-coated drivers. Polypropoline drivers are horrid enough due to their lack of rigidness, but a poly-coated driver? Most likely this is a cheap paper driver sprayed with poly. It has the benefit of being light, but will distort because it lacks rigidness.

Third, the things are $159 a pair! You can't build a decent speaker for that price let alone make money selling them. It's like buying a $5 soundcard.

Hi, I also am interested in buying a cheap home theater system instead of expensive computer speakers. Can anyone recommend me one for about $200?

For that price, I would buy computer speakers. HTIB are for the most part something I would avoid, and a cheap reciever will run you about $199, which doesn't leave much for speakers. At that price I would try to find a refurb or used set of Klipsch promedia 5.1s or a set of logitechs.

Ultras hands down.

Easier to set up and better engineering went into the design of the sub and the satellite combo.

It would be tough to find ultras for that price point though. The older promedia 5.1 would be more feasable at that price.

Pretty funny becuase I replaced my Klipsch ultras with those "cheap" Fluance AV-HTB speakers and I happen to think they are a very good deal. :eek:

StorageJoe said:
For that price, I would buy computer speakers. HTIB are for the most part something I would avoid, and a cheap reciever will run you about $199, which doesn't leave much for speakers. At that price I would try to find a refurb or used set of Klipsch promedia 5.1s or a set of logitechs.

What about those systems that come w/ a receiver and like 5 speakers for $199. I see them at BB.

It's going to cost 2-3X the price to top the Ultra's with a HTIB system, but then again you get a receiver too.

The least expensive ones I can think of are the Klipsch Quintet II system, and the Athena Micra w/an entry-level Yamaha receiver. The Onkyo is supposed to be real decent too.

get some tower speakers and a receiver. ya lose the surround sound-ness. but you can then make it your "main stereo" for your home or apartment. and it'll still rock out.

Just an opinion, but I have done computer audio in all its forms, surround, stereo, Klipsch, Logitech, home-theater style, hack-and-slash style, you name it. I seriously recommend a stereo system for that budget, but if you want surround sound, GO WITH THE KLIPSCH!! It is the biggest pain in the ass to get a surround system working 100% if you go the A/V Receiver route. Cords and settings and standards, you don't want to go there unless you do your homework. Believe me, Doom3 is mind-boggling with dolby working, but it just isn't that much greater than it would be on stereo to justify the time and expense. Just get a good set of stereo klipsch and buy a fat sack of chronic with the money you save. :eek:

I think we can at least all agree that Klipsch is pretty much the best bang-for-the-buck when it comes to PC speakers, right? ;)

1c3d0g said:
I think we can at least all agree that Klipsch is pretty much the best bang-for-the-buck when it comes to PC speakers, right? ;)

No.

JK!
Unless something else is onsale... at regular retail, Ultras are pretty darn good for the dollar.

funny thing is many people who have owned the promedia ultra's have sold it and upgraded to true home theater. haha seems like the promedia ultra is like the "stepping stone" to get into home theater

well i meant like true home theater, receivers and monitors,bookshevles, floorstandings, etc

Well I meant like... there are no other PC speakers that are really an upgrade so you don't have a choice do you? :D

DoinkyBottoms said:
It is the biggest pain in the ass to get a surround system working 100% if you go the A/V Receiver route. Cords and settings and standards, you don't want to go there unless you do your homework.

geez... it's not THAT hard... if you can use a measuring tape, can read a spl meter (neither of which require a truly large amount of brainpower :p ) and have enough strength to move your speakers around (which isn't a herculean task, even with big 'uns), you can, with patience, set it up correctly...

it's actually fun... :)

this isn't an endorsement of cheap htib 5.1 over good 2.0... not by any means... but good 5.1 (read: set-up correctly, not just 5 satellite speakers and a sub thrown around in your room) is certainly worth the effort... and it sure as heck gives you a LOT more options...

Xeero said:
well i meant like true home theater, receivers and monitors,bookshevles, floorstandings, etc

like, what other home theater might you be referring to? :confused:

fwiw, i've heard some truly outstanding home theater setups that don't have floorstanders anchoring them... at the risk of going way off topic, it's pretty amazing what you can do with proper positioning and with room treatments...

Back