Cheap Upgrade Assitance/Recommendations

mrmagoo_83

2[H]4U
1) What will you be doing with this PC? - Ripping & Encoding DVD/BR collection, and Normal office stuff (with multiple monitor support)
2) What's your budget? - $300 including S&H & Tax
3) Which country do you live in? - 76247
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? - 8GB RAM, CPU, mATX MB, GFX, BR Drive
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? - Antec Green 430W, SFF Case (dont remember brand), and HDDs
6) Will you be overclocking? - No
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? - 3x23" LCDs each at 1900x1200
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC? - Within the next month
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? - USB 3.0, SATA 6Gb/s, eSATA, onboard video optional
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? - Own a copy of Win7 64bit

So that's my information. I'm running a SFF with a Xeon processor right now, like a 2.4 Dual Core or something with 4GB of RAM on an Asrock board. Its outdated, and takes like 36 hours to convert a BR movie from my collection. I have been looking at the Microcenter adds as I work near the one in Richardson, Tx. But I'm not sure the combos are actually worth it, especially with everyone hating on Bulldozer processors. I was looking at this GFX Card from NewEgg, but I would have to also buy all the adapters, so not sure there. RAM seems to be pretty cheap, except all the mATX boards only have two slots and take up to 8GB of RAM, so I guess I'm stuck there. The local Frys has BR players every other week for $80 or so, so I figured I'd pick one up there if I didn't find one online cheaper.

I'm just unsure on the mATX MB & CPU to look at, and a better GFX card to run at least 3 monitors simultaneously. I had been looking at 1100Ts or something like that. Just wanted some opinions from folks still in the game every day like I used to be.

Well, do you need/want more than 8GB of RAM? Figure that out and we can help you quickly.

As for the video card, you don't need that video card. If you get a motherboard with onboard video, you can use that at the same time as a dedicated video card. As such, you can have the onboard video powering one of the monitors and a cheaper $50 HD 6450 video card powering the other two monitors. Since you're not gaming, you should be fine with that kind of GPU setup.

Do I need it, not real sure. Right now my rig is at 4GB. I simply said 8GB because most of the boards I had seen in the combos only had two DIMM slots and a max of 8GB. But I'm open to whatever, local Frys had 16GB last week for $59, which isn't too bad.

On the video card, I just remembered that I need to mention that my monitors only have an HDMI connection, no DVI; not a big thing, but wanted to mention it.

I had completely forgot that the new motherboards will run the onboard GFX at the same time as a PCIE card; I'm still old school where it was one or the other. I still don't mind the card I mentioned, unless its just a worthless card. I've gimped on GFX cards before and regretted it.

The PSU I just bought, shoot, in like July I think. The old one croaked.

Right now I only have one HDD & a DVD Burned in the machined. I want to add one more HDD to the chassis. I have a 24 bay server in a 4 post rack that I use for storage, plus a ThermalTake USB3.0 hard drive bay for hot swap drives. So I'm not going to have much in the case itself, I really only need the one probably so I can have room when converting BR to ISO, but most everything else goes to the server.

RAM: http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?sortby=pricelow&N=4294966965+4294957208 $30
CPU: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0382798 $120
MOBO: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0366104 $10 before MIR with CPU above
GFX: You could just pick up a 5450 for the extra ports and some adapters from mono-price.
BR Drive: No recommendations. But You have like an extra $100 for a drive and accessories.

I think the 1045T will provide you with better performance than bulldozer given your price range based on encoding performance.

What is an FM1 socket, I see this on most of the boards that support USB3, but find no AM3 mATX boards that support USB3.

Never mind, just read that its a dead socket anyway. Guess I'll buy an add on PCIE USB3.0 card.

Last edited:
Do I need it, not real sure. Right now my rig is at 4GB. I simply said 8GB because most of the boards I had seen in the combos only had two DIMM slots and a max of 8GB. But I'm open to whatever, local Frys had 16GB last week for $59, which isn't too bad.
Well if you're fine with only two RAM slots, then go with the Gigabyte mATX mobo + Phenom II X6 1045T. The 1045T will outperform the FX 6100.

I still don't mind the card I mentioned, unless its just a worthless card. I've gimped on GFX cards before and regretted it.
It's not necessarily worthless but a tad overpriced once you factor in all the mini-DVI to HDMI adapters you have to buy. From what you've said so far, I don't see why you would need a GPU higher than this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131338

You're not gaming nor are you using Adobe products. So really no need for a GPU higher than that.
What is an FM1 socket, I see this on most of the boards that support USB3, but find no AM3 mATX boards that support USB3.
Correction: There are many AM3+ and AM3 mATX motherboards that do have USB 3.0. However it's just that mATX mobos that comes with the MC deals don't have them.

I didn't find any at newegg either, but I'll look again.

Ok found a couple, not sure how I overlooked them earlier. Only 3 eggs, hmm.

Last edited:
I missed the USB 3.0 part, sata6, and eSATA. I think you may have to expand your budget a bit since most of those are not going to be coming with the motherboards at MC which will put you out of your budget.

Given that, just a quick put together of a system that has most of what you need.

MOBO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157236 $70 - Could also look for a used mobo on the forums.
CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115077 $113 after code could also go for the $100 i3-2100 from MC, but the price is about that same when including tax.
RAM: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0360526 $30
GFX: Cheap $30 5450 graphics card w/ adapters from mono-price $40ish
Blu-ray: Your call-but these are $60-80

Budget will go over $300, but you will have all that you need. Unless, you go the used route for the CPU/mobo/GFX/blu-ray/RAM

So if I suggested that I wanted to up the video card to something that was capable of a little newbie photoshop and Diablo III; would anyone throw something at me?

I realize I am going over $300 here, as I have already changed my mind on a MB. The ones with the MC combos just are too low end. I like this Asus M5A88-M from NewEgg, except for its reviews. I has 4 DIMM slots, onboard video, and USB3.0. But the reviews and the price make me leery. Might have to drop the BluRay for now and just work on my DVD collection, and then grab a BluRay later.

So if I suggested that I wanted to up the video card to something that was capable of a little newbie photoshop and Diablo III; would anyone throw something at me?
Well for Adobe software, you're pretty much looking at Nvidia cards only. For Adobe software, apparently you want at least the GTX 550 TI 1GB cards. GTX 550 TI will be ok for gaming but doesn't have that great of a price to performance ratio for a gaming video card. The GTX 550 TI will work fine with that PSU.

I realize I am going over $300 here, as I have already changed my mind on a MB. The ones with the MC combos just are too low end. I like this Asus M5A88-M from NewEgg, except for its reviews. I has 4 DIMM slots, onboard video, and USB3.0. But the reviews and the price make me leery.
Generally you should take Newegg reviews with a grain of salt. They're not exactly written by people who know what they're doing. With that said though, it does appear that mobo isn't too great. Though it very well could have been a bad batch. Its price is just fine.

However, if you can drop that USB 3.0 requirement and are never gonna use the Bulldozer FX or any AM3+ CPU for that matter, this Asus mATX motherboard is fairly solid:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131657

Totally forgot to ask: What SFF case are you using?

Update:
I picked up a gigabyte mATX w/ USB3, a 1095t, and 8gb of Ram from another forum member. I forgot that my current rig has an ATI 4750 out something like that, so I do not need a GFX card right now, running out with hybrid crossfire I should be able to get the hdmi on board, and then two monitors out of the card.

So now all I need is the BluRay for around $70, and I should be set.

Back