Client won't download -bigadv WUs

APOLLO

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - March 2009
I have a system that won't DL a -bigadv WU no matter what I try. This is an ongoing problem for several days now since the beginning of last weekend. My other systems have had no problem in that time, and I don't see any posts about this being an issue lately, so must assume there is a configuration problem somewhere.

I'm running the latest executable in the client. I have the -bigadv flag and big packets set up in the client config. The system has 8 logical cores and 2GB of RAM currently installed. What else can be the problem?? :confused:

No -advmethods flag though, right? Might want to also check in the extra options that "-advmethods set to always" is 'no'.

I have no -advmethods set in the flag. The flag I'm using is -bigadv -smp 8 -forceasm. This is the flag I'm using on my other -bigadv clients without issue. Client type is 0 in the .cfg file.

Ya know i ran into that issue the other week and i couldnt figure it out, so i just copied the client.cfg from another system and restarted the client.

Ya know i ran into that issue the other week and i couldnt figure it out, so i just copied the client.cfg from another system and restarted the client.
That's exactly what I have thought and intending to do. There are arcane settings in the client.cfg file no one knows about except Stanford, LOL. I used this procedure to rectify another problem I had with my GPU clients a few months ago. Nothing worked except copying over that file. Anyway, if this doesn't work with the -bigadv problem I'm having now, I am interesting in any other suggestions.

delete the queue.dat?

Not sure what else you could do beside blow the installation away and reinstall.

delete the queue.dat?

Not sure what else you could do beside blow the installation away and reinstall.
I've deleted the queue.dat. I am going to copy the whole folder from another system later this evening and see what happens..

Set the client to download big packets?
Make sure on it, because it sounds like this could be the issue.

The SMP client is so easy to set up now that if you ever have a problem, the simplest thing to do is just wipe it away and set it up fresh.

The flag I'm using is -bigadv -smp 8 -forceasm.

I believe unless you're picking a lower amount of cores, you don't need to specify a core# after smp (ie just use -smp). And I also believe the new client has -forceasm hard coded or something so that isn't necessary to add either anymore. (just a heads up for you) ;)

And I also believe the new client has -forceasm hard coded or something so that isn't necessary to add either anymore. (just a heads up for you) ;)

That is probably right, but it also doesn't hurt anything. I have it on all of my machines. It makes me feel better to restart and not have it say it is switching to standard loops... :)

No dice. Something else is wrong. I could not DL any -bigadv WUs with either a new client installation or copying over the client.cfg file from another system. Can there be something else that will affect this? Perhaps the servers somehow do not properly detect this client is installed on an 8 core machine?? :confused:

I'm sorry to hear about your problems. Have you posted at the Stanford forums yet? It couldn't hurt in case there is something wierd going on. The only other thing i've ever tried was to completely delete the client and all the files, and reinstall it again with a new machine number when something similar happened a while back on folding1.

I'm going to wait another day or two before posting there. Want to try some things on the machine first and see what everyone else here advises. I prefer not to post on the FF when I can get info here or other team forums. This is really weird. Is it possible there is a minimum detectable memory requirement??

I'm going to wait another day or two before posting there. Want to try some things on the machine first and see what everyone else here advises. I prefer not to post on the FF when I can get info here or other team forums. This is really weird. Is it possible there is a minimum detectable memory requirement??

I wouldn't think there is a minimum memory configuration (at least not any that have been publicly made available). It does (as we all know) indicate how much memory was have available.

How much memory do you have allocated in the configuration of the client?

Apparently it's a soft-limit which is only reported by your client to Stanford's assignment servers, but can affect whether BigAdvs are allowed/released to your client. I'm gonna go look for that particular post and update this post, errr. with that post.

Try setting it to 2048MB (or even more) in -config or -configonly modes in "Advanced options" and see what happens.

UPDATE: Here it is from Tear:

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=15563&start=75

How much memory do you have allocated in the configuration of the client?

Apparently it's a soft-limit which is only reported by your client to Stanford's assignment servers, but can affect whether BigAdvs are allowed/released to your client. I'm gonna go look for that particular post and update this post, errr. with that post.

Try setting it to 2048MB (or even more) in -config or -configonly modes in "Advanced options" and see what happens.

UPDATE: Here it is from Tear:

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=15563&start=75
Thanks for looking into the matter. I don't know how this afects my particular situation. The only thing different about this system compared to the others is the rather low amount of memory. It has 2GB of RAM modules installed, but XP sees only 1.5GB for some bizarre reason. It's not related to the 32-bit OS. All my other machines with 2GB and XP detect all the memory. This is my troublesome Skulltrail system that has given me bizarre issues since the day I got it. I was never able to get the full performance out of it and now I cannot even receive the WUs I configure the bloody client for.. :rolleyes: :(

Back