Cloning a 486 hd to CF externally?

nightanole

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a piece of industrial equipment that has a 486 in it. It just boots dos 6.22 to some kind of windows gui for running the machine.

I can take the 486 out and remove the ide hard drive. I can also get to its bios.

What i want to do is clone the 20+ year old install to a CF card or something similar. The original install floppies have long since become unreadable.

I have a few guides but most i cant do. For one i cant get to dos to use X copy etc, and i cant start from scratch from the install floppies.

Is there a way to clone (either bit for bit or xcopy like) the hard drive using a modern pc and a ide to usb adapter?

Any standard hdd cloning software should work. You just need adapters. I would just clone it to 2x or 3x ide drives just in case.

I've had to do this in the past on some old Telephony equipment. I used a 2.5" IDE-to-CF adapter and used Clonezilla without a hitch. If this is the ONLY copy of the software and it's mission critical, then I'd copy to multiple CF cards and keep 1 offsite.

Any standard hdd cloning software should work. You just need adapters. I would just clone it to 2x or 3x ide drives just in case.

Personally i'd clone it to a couple CF cards and an image on several DVDs if it's that important. Though if it really is that important an encrypted image "in the cloud" would also be prudent.

Back