Comcast Contracts Bittorrent Saboteur?

Rich Tate

Supreme [H]ardness
Before we get out the tinfoil and duct tape on this one, let me emphasize that this is purely speculation until otherwise noted. It seems that The Consumerist has a source that states Comcast actually contracts a company to do their bittorrent sabotaging, which would shoot down most of the explanations I’ve read. Guess we’ll just have to wait on that federal probe.

In the reports about Comcast's disruption of traffic between customers using the BitTorrent file-sharing protocol, it's alleged that Comcast outsources the traffic meddling to a third-party company called Sandvine. Publicly, and in an internal talking points memo leaked exclusively to The Consumerist, Comcast refused to comment on having any relationship with Sandvine.

Before we get out the tinfoil and duct tape on this one, let me emphasize that this is purely speculation until otherwise noted. It seems that The Consumerist has a source that states Comcast actually contracts a company to do their bittorrent sabotaging, which would shoot down most of the explanations I’ve read. Guess we’ll just have to wait on that federal probe.

If it turns out to be true, then, how many federal laws are they breaking by doing that (at least one, for certain)!?

Last weekend I tried to stream live video of a wedding to the bride's parents in China over Comcast cable. They killed the stream every 30 seconds or so. I recommended that the church switch ISPs.

Now its one thing for Comcast to simply prevent people from torrenting on the server end, but its a totally different situation if they are actually paying a third party to physically interrupt users service. I have to admit thats totally illegal if true and they should be investigated if the claims are legit.

I download fansubs of unlicensed in the us anime.

i use BT, i have Comcast.

my seeding works FINE...even with the "blocking" software running.(and i know it is running, because of the delay in seeding..)

if the seed is connected to a comcast ip address, the seeding works fine from the getgo.

if the seed is connected to a non-comcast ip address..the seeding will work fine, comcast has put in a delay for seeding non-comcast ip addresses. if the connection is still there after ~10 minutes, the seed will start and run normally.

are there bugs to work out- apparently yes, but for seeding of the items I have downloaded. it's worked fine, i do leave the seeds up for at least a 1:1 ratio if i forget about it, it's more like 10:1

Back