Compal HEL80 shuts off eery morning

Kil4Thril

2[H]4U
Specs

C2D T7400
3GB RAM
7600go (POS!:mad:)

I leave this laptop on 24/7, used as a desktop with an external monitor. Every morning, it will simply shut down after maybe 1 minute of use. The area over the video card is HOT when this happens, so I am assuming it is heat related (no proper shutdown, just "click" and done). If I give it a few minutes to cool, I can start it back up and use it all day until I get out of bed the next morning. This is annoying as hell. HELP!

Oh, I have opened it and cleaned the heatsinks, and will be remounting them both when I pick up my paste from storage, but the fan only seems to turn on when first booting. I have the latest BIOS, drivers, etc. running Win7 Ultimate. Weird thing is I can run torture tests and it doesn't shut off. 24 hour stable on MemTest.

Maybe it's an issue HP can address with another BIOS release?

In the mean time, why not use a cooling pad..that might help things out!

It's a Compal, not a Compaq/HP. They OEM for Toshiba, Sager, etc. I think I've found the problem, now fixing it could be tough. I believe the VGA isn't throttling down, and it's simply over heating (never goes to an idle state). I just can't find a fix.

Back