Computer settings reset themselves...?

jbltecnicspro

[H]F Junkie
Good afternoon,

I'm trying to google this but I cannot find an answer. I just restarted my laptop. Immediately upon logging into the computer, I'm greeted to a whole boatload of changes. Aero is now enabled again, Outlook 2010 is prompting me to create an account, and I cannot open anything because my Internet Security settings don't let me. WTF? It was running fine last night and as of right now, other than the restart - nothing's changed. What happened? Virus infection?

I am running Windows 7 64 bit. As far as I know I'm up to date with all security patches and updates.

You probably logged in with a temporary account is my guess. Reboot the computer and see if it helps or not and also run a checkdisk.

Okay - I also noticed that there was a "critical update" installed last night and this is my first restart. I wish I read this first - am restoring it now to before the install.

You probably logged in with a temporary account is my guess. Reboot the computer and see if it helps or not and also run a checkdisk.

I was logged in with my own account (which is an admin - single user :)). But after the restore I'll run a checkdisk if the restore doesn't fix it. Rebooting didn't help me. :(

And system restore to the rescue! Everything is back the way I had it. Hurray Windows Updates. We had one brick a bunch of machines at work too, so I'm not shocked.

EDIT: My conclusion is that it was a Windows update installed the night before. This afternoon was the first time I had restarted my computer after the fact. Restoring the computer to the restore point before the update install cured my issue.

Last edited:
At least restore/recovery works under Windows 7. One of the biggest issues with Windows 10 is when an update fails it usually takes all the registry hives with it making the recovery system just loop over and over.

At least restore/recovery works under Windows 7. One of the biggest issues with Windows 10 is when an update fails it usually takes all the registry hives with it making the recovery system just loop over and over.

That sucks. :( Another reason I'm still holding on. Still annoyed that it was a Windows Update that did it to me.

Back