confirmation re: upgrading my rig Ryzen vs. Intel

tantalus

Limp Gawd
I posted a very general question about updating my rig (in sig) a few days ago and got a lot of helpful comments that helped me think through things.

I just wanted to see if there was any reason not to go with the Ryzen 5 2600 (vs. esp. the i3-8350k).

I want to spend 350-400, and the main reason for upgrading is to get back into gaming (Dark Souls III, and other stuff) and to make general office stuff a bit quicker and snapper. I don't care that much about max settings, as I'm gaming on a 24" 1900x1200 screen.

The Ryzen is now at 150, and I could bundle it with a mobo on Newegg with their new promotion and get a 15% gift card to buy my RAM in December (I'm in no hurry). That puts me right in my price point.

I know Intels are generally better for gaming given higher clock speeds, and I don't do demanding multitasking (mostly Word plus Acrobat plus Chrome plus Spotify). But the Ryzen is a bit cheaper.

Am I off the mark here? Any recommendations for a good 100-120 dollar mobo? (I want wifi and don't care about lights. My case solid black aluminum. ) The choices are a bit overwhelming. There is a very nice bundle on SD, but it requires flashing the bios on the mobo which I don't want to do.

Thanks, you folks are always such a great help.

P.s. I understand the 2600 isn't great for overclocking, but I don't want to get into that too much anyway.

They'll be close enough to be moot for gaming and AMD will lead in MT by quite a bit. I would go amd at least you have lots of upgrade options if you change your mind and cheap. Get decent board and ram if possible. Great used deals around on 1700s too..

Back