Conroe heat and power question. im tired of my room feeling like a furnace

tvdang7

Supreme [H]ardness
So since these new conroe (or core duo 2 or what ever) cpus are like mobile chips. will they use alot less power and generate alot less heat than my current set up rig in sig. i swear my psu gets hot as hell at night. and by ALOT i mean will there be a noticeable differnce in temps of my room?

reason i asked is i was desktopless for 1 month. and i was gaming on my 9300. yes it wasnt as powerful as my desktop for gaming but when i went back to my desktop i completely didnt notice how LITTLE heat it put out.

tvdang7 said:
So since these new conroe (or core duo 2 or what ever) cpus are like mobile chips. will they use alot less power and generate alot less heat than my current set up rig in sig. i swear my psu gets hot as hell at night. and by ALOT i mean will there be a noticeable differnce in temps of my room?

reason i asked is i was desktopless for 1 month. and i was gaming on my 9300. yes it wasnt as powerful as my desktop for gaming but when i went back to my desktop i completely didnt notice how LITTLE heat it put out.

Conroe uses little power that's for sure.As for your setup I doubt a few w shaved off the cpu will make a difference.

savantu said:
Conroe uses little power that's for sure.As for your setup I doubt a few w shaved off the cpu will make a difference.

You obivously dont live in the south. Any little bit helps keep the room to a manageable temp.

Whitewolf said:
You obivously dont live in the south. Any little bit helps keep the room to a manageable temp.
If it's hot and you have no AC. Then it doesn't matter what you location is.

With default vcore E6700 will be around 41C idle with TT big typhoon and delta 120EHE fan.

centvalny said:
With default vcore E6700 will be around 41C idle with TT big typhoon and delta 120EHE fan.

That still seems pretty hot to me compared to X2's :(.

centvalny said:

this comment is completely wrong for so many reasons. ill give you three words: "ambient room temperature"

DemonDiablo said:
this comment is completely wrong for so many reasons. ill give you three words: "ambient room temperature"

yeah if your room temperature is 15C, Conroe will not be idling at 41C, it will be significantly lower. However if your room temperature is 50C (just for an extreme example) conroe will be idling above 60C imo.

I don't see the point in asking, unless you don't plan on overclocking. Once you crank up the volts, you crank up the watts.

It appears that Conroe wil be relatively cool running CPU. My concern is the motherboard and the video card. These components are getting to being mini blast furnaces.

xcetera said:
It appears that Conroe wil be relatively cool running CPU. My concern is the motherboard and the video card. These components are getting to being mini blast furnaces.

i havent seen a single conroe motherboard that is cooled by a fan on the northbridge. video cards i agree are getting insane. rumor has it that ati will be using some form of liquid cooling on their next gen cards.

tvdang7 said:

You have a watercooled setup from what I am seeing here. There is no suprise you live in a swamp. Watercooled setups are generally better at removing the heat from the CPU and dropping it into the air in the room. Not only that, but you are complaining about PSU temp? Get a better PSU? an Inspiron 9300 also puts out a good amount of heat, too, under load.

As far as the pure wattage, it looks like the 65W Conroe will be just slightly less than an old P4 2.8 Northwood (~70W). I'm sure there will be other things like Speedstep and whatever to run them cooler as well. Conroe will be a step back from the runaway wattages of the newer P4s and get us back to something reasonable, not something extraordinary. The real advantage will be the performance per watt, which looks completely sexy.

The mobile version, Merom, will be a 35W solution.

mwarps said:
You have a watercooled setup from what I am seeing here. There is no suprise you live in a swamp. Watercooled setups are generally better at removing the heat from the CPU and dropping it into the air in the room. Not only that, but you are complaining about PSU temp? Get a better PSU? an Inspiron 9300 also puts out a good amount of heat, too, under load.

well im pretty sure its the PSU generating MOST of the heat. i feel it coming out the back of it. but im sure thats becuz of the demand my cpu needs and my graphics card. 2.9 ghz @ 1.5 volts. so im hoping a lower poered cpu will not make my PSU run as hot as usual.

and about the water cooling comment you made. it was like this last summer when i was running a stock heatsink with a stock 3800+ and a x800 xl.

DemonDiablo said:
Heres ;)

All air cooling..

Intel X975BX rev.304 motherboard with 0908 bios
TT Big Thypoon with Delta 120'EHE fan and 1.41Vcore
OCZ 5400EB @2.2V
X1900CF
Zippy 850W psu

screenshot0278xd.jpg

tvdang7 said:
well im pretty sure its the PSU generating MOST of the heat. i feel it coming out the back of it. but im sure thats becuz of the demand my cpu needs and my graphics card. 2.9 ghz @ 1.5 volts. so im hoping a lower poered cpu will not make my PSU run as hot as usual.

and about the water cooling comment you made. it was like this last summer when i was running a stock heatsink with a stock 3800+ and a x800 xl.

Regardless of what system you put into it, it's going to put heat (and significant amounts of it) out of the back of the PSU. Again, if the PSU heat is a concern, get a better PSU, because even a conroe is going to make this one blow hot air, especially with a high end video card.

centvalny said:
Heres ;)

All air cooling..

Intel X975BX rev.304 motherboard with 0908 bios
TT Big Thypoon with Delta 120'EHE fan and 1.41Vcore
OCZ 5400EB @2.2V
X1900CF
Zippy 850W psu

Did you see what pandora's box wrote right after my comment? This picture doesnt prove anything at all.

DemonDiablo said:
Did you see what pandora's box wrote right after my comment? This picture doesnt prove anything at all.
Well, you will find out yourself...... if you run conroe ;)
Fyi, seems like retail version of conroe (stepping 5 or probly will become stepping C1) will be with 1.26V default vcore, so it will run slightly cooler than stepping BO which is the first ES chip for E6700......

screenshot0946or.jpg

centvalny said:
Well, you will find out yourself...... if you run conroe ;)

:sigh:

what im trying to say is that without you telling us the ambient room tempurature of the room that that picture was taken in then you cant really say that "the conroe will idle at 41C".

for example:

If i live in siberia or some cold ass place like that and im running a conroe. I can almost quarantee you that it wont be running at 41C.

Likewise lets say now i live somewhere in a country very close to the equator during summer time. Lets just say i would be wishing my conroe idled at 41C.

I live in Connecticut, a state that has all four seasons. my cpu temp is never the same year round b/c the temp of my room is never the same year round. do you get it now?

kirbyrj said:
That still seems pretty hot to me compared to X2's :(.

Why? How hot does an X2@ 2.9GHz run with a stock cooler? Abit still read high and Asus and DFI reads lower than true temps.

DemonDiablo said:
:sigh:

what im trying to say is that without you telling us the ambient room tempurature of the room that that picture was taken in then you cant really say that "the conroe will idle at 41C".

for example:

If i live in siberia or some cold ass place like that and im running a conroe. I can almost quarantee you that it wont be running at 41C.

Likewise lets say now i live somewhere in a country very close to the equator during summer time. Lets just say i would be wishing my conroe idled at 41C.

I live in Connecticut, a state that has all four seasons. my cpu temp is never the same year round b/c the temp of my room is never the same year round. do you get it now?

QFT? You're right! I live in Arkansas and it gets hot. I had Winter (better) and Summer performance when I overclocked.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=101798

Look at his voltage?

Why are people talking temperatures and voltages ?

The only thing that matters is wattage.

Get a seasonic or some other 80%+ efficiency PSU if you want to decrease the heat being made. It'll be the single most usefull thing you can do. That ultra is probably horribly inefficient.

tvdang7 said:
well im pretty sure its the PSU generating MOST of the heat.

well ..seeing as how the psu doubles as an exhaust for your case ... and its at the top (normally) of your case (heat rises) ..then yeah .. holding your hand over the exhaust fan of the psu is generally going to feel a bit warmer then other areas

:)

ThreeDee said:
well ..seeing as how the psu doubles as an exhaust for your case ... and its at the top (normally) of your case (heat rises) ..then yeah .. holding your hand over the exhaust fan of the psu is generally going to feel a bit warmer then other areas

:)

But I felt heat (warm) coming out of my Bud's Seasonic and he only has a Pentium M but he does have 7900GT and 2GB of RAM, 3 HDD and etc.. Please note, the little Cumine looking fan-heatsink was barely warmer than room temp.

Demon_of_The_Fall said:
Why are people talking temperatures and voltages ?

The only thing that matters is wattage.

Get a seasonic or some other 80%+ efficiency PSU if you want to decrease the heat being made. It'll be the single most usefull thing you can do. That ultra is probably horribly inefficient.

The inq

With this kind of chipset, and with tacitly acknowledged high overclocking margins if using good cooling (with Corsair Nautilus 500, AMD FX62 2.8GHz only goes up to 3.1GHz, but Conroe 2.66GHz goes to 3.6GHz stable without even a voltage change!), the benchmarks on the new platform might look darn dangerous for the AM2. Several Taiwanese big names also confirmed initial good speed test results with the Conroe, but no one was supposedly allowed to openly show the overclocked units on the booths.

Donnie27 said:
Why? How hot does an X2@ 2.9GHz run with a stock cooler? Abit still read high and Asus and DFI reads lower than true temps.

He was running a TT Big Typhoon though at stock voltage. Supposing you could get an X2 to 2.9Ghz on stock voltage, I'd think it would run lower than 41C on idle with a Big Typhoon (at least on my DFI board, but I think it reported temps low). I ran mine at 2.6Ghz with a .1V increase in voltage and it only ran in the low 30's at idle and 41C under full load with an XP-90.

As has been said in this thread, the overall wattage consumed is much more important then the temperature read out.

Temperature isn't such a reference point as there are too many instances for error, what was the ambient room temperature, temperature of the air in the case itself, was heatsink mounted properly.. etc etc...

i dont mind having a hot computer, because its always rather cold here. :p my xbox360 is a 2 in 1 gameconsole/heater

kirbyrj said:
He was running a TT Big Typhoon though at stock voltage. Supposing you could get an X2 to 2.9Ghz on stock voltage, I'd think it would run lower than 41C on idle with a Big Typhoon (at least on my DFI board, but I think it reported temps low). I ran mine at 2.6Ghz with a .1V increase in voltage and it only ran in the low 30's at idle and 41C under full load with an XP-90.

As I type to you, my room temp is 72 degrees and the CPU temp reads 104 degrees or 40C. 3500+ Venice at stock speed/voltage on an Asus A8N SLI I'm typing on right now. Asus that reads cooler than normal. Stock OEM cooler. In similar conditions it read 38C with a CNPS 7000CU, all CU. So please excuse my Doubt, I was also told Venice was a very good overclocker. Mine and at least 4 others I've seen are duds.

That's some mighty fine water cooling you got, I'm not seeing anything near those temps as you say. Water or not, I'd Not spend my money on anything from AMD with Conroe looming large as it is.

coldpower27 said:
As has been said in this thread, the overall wattage consumed is much more important then the temperature read out.

Temperature isn't such a reference point as there are too many instances for error, what was the ambient room temperature, temperature of the air in the case itself, was heatsink mounted properly.. etc etc...

I liked seeing all of those i965s and R600 with passive Heatsinks and no fans. I'd still love to see BTX Conroe boards.

Hi cent. I'm in florida. My ambient room temperature is about 80-85f somtimes. Do you think my conroe will idle at 41c too? If you do you're on crack.
thank you, continue.

Donnie27 said:
As I type to you, my room temp is 72 degrees and the CPU temp reads 104 degrees or 40C. 3500+ Venice at stock speed/voltage on an Asus A8N SLI I'm typing on right now. Asus that reads cooler than normal. Stock OEM cooler. In similar conditions it read 38C with a CNPS 7000CU, all CU. So please excuse my Doubt, I was also told Venice was a very good overclocker. Mine and at least 4 others I've seen are duds.

That's some mighty fine water cooling you got, I'm not seeing anything near those temps as you say. Water or not, I'd spend my money on anything from AMD with Conroe looming large as it is.

Damn you got unlucky with 3 chips in a row eh?. I'm sure you know it's all luck of the draw; i think you'd have a hard time saying venice's aren't good overclockers, though the ones you got might not have been.. my original 3000+ wouldn't do above 2.4ghz. (note my venice @ 2.79ghz dual prime stable 30+hours..). FWIW, my venice on stock voltage and at stock clock speeds also read 30-33c idle, 41-45c under load when ambient temps were around 70f indoors (winter) on an XP-120. Perhaps your case is hotter than some; 2x120mm fans and 3x80mm help alot with temps on the cpu.

Did you mean 'i'd NOT spend'?

owell ima start selling my stuff and prep for conroe. hope the performance is good and the heat produced goes down a lil. comp makes my room like 10-15 degrees hotter than all the other rooms even with AC on and fan blowing hot air out into the game room......and t his is at night too!

centvalny said:

wtf? Your misinformed. My 950@ 4.7 Ghz with a TT BT idles at 34 and full loads at 46. Its impossible for a conroe to run hotter!

headless said:
Damn you got unlucky with 3 chips in a row eh?. I'm sure you know it's all luck of the draw; i think you'd have a hard time saying venice's aren't good overclockers, though the ones you got might not have been.. my original 3000+ wouldn't do above 2.4ghz. (note my venice @ 2.79ghz dual prime stable 30+hours..). FWIW, my venice on stock voltage and at stock clock speeds also read 30-33c idle, 41-45c under load when ambient temps were around 70f indoors (winter) on an XP-120. Perhaps your case is hotter than some; 2x120mm fans and 3x80mm help alot with temps on the cpu.

Did you mean 'i'd NOT spend'?

Yup, not.

headless said:
Hi cent. I'm in florida. My ambient room temperature is about 80-85f somtimes. Do you think my conroe will idle at 41c too? If you do you're on crack.
thank you, continue.
I'm on cascade now @-98C.
Nice weather there in Fla :D
Crack is no good :(

I'm interested too... my PC (P4 3.0 478/6800nu) heats up my bedroom ~4-6F. It's way past noticeable. North Texas, ambient ~77F in the apartment, and the sonofabitch costs me money to keep it running, and challenges my A/C.

A Sempron and a 6200 sound damn good... all I do on this piece of shit is play Diablo 2 and DoD.

mdameron said:
I'm interested too... my PC (P4 3.0 478/6800nu) heats up my bedroom ~4-6F. It's way past noticeable. North Texas, ambient ~77F in the apartment, and the sonofabitch costs me money to keep it running, and challenges my A/C.

A Sempron and a 6200 sound damn good... all I do on this piece of shit is play Diablo 2 and DoD.

LOL better hook that bad boy up to a vapo-chill for some added horsepower. that'll teach that P4 C who's boss.

Back