Cooling solutions with an35n

For those of you that have an an35n that has been working reliably, what kind of cooling are you using? Describe the fans, their sizes, and locations. I have been running mine fairly reliably for the past few months. Yesterday I walked in and saw that my computer had locked up. I rebooted it and it made it past the post and then everything went blank and the harddrive stopped loading. Then I tried to reboot again and it didn't even post. I tried turning it on again today and it worked again. I'm thinking it was a problem with heat buildup but it hasn't been any hotter than normal in my basement. I had a problem before with my an35n crapping out but I RMA'd it and it has worked fine until now. Thanks.

One of the guys at the rebels haven modded and fitted a Thermalright SLK-947-U onto his board..

Later

MD

you should monitor the temperature to see if it is getting too high. i like to touch the heatsink quickly to see if its hot enough to burn you. usually it should only be hot to the touch. of course use the temp monitor in bios or windows too. if the power supply gets really hot that may be a problem as well. when a computer freezes or reboots randomly you usually need to troubleshoot it pretty systematically to nail the problem down to a particular component.

I use an old Zalman CNPS 6000 on my overclocked moblie with this board. Right now my overclock is limited by heat and I am almost ready to put my maze4 on to jack it up some more.

I was having this problem with my old rig, turned out the heatsink was coming adrift slightly.

This meant it was trying to keep it cool, but only partially succeeding, causing it to lock up before it fried.

What I did was take the hsf off, take it apart, give it a good clean with a clean air duster and a paintbrush. I then rebent the clip to the shape it should have been (the tension may have relaxed slightly over time), replaced the thermal compound and put it all back together. Right as rain after that, and costs nothing (aside from a smidgeon of thermal compound) to at least check.

Back