Copying a file from Windows (desktop) to OSX (laptop) taking too long...

datamage

Limp Gawd
I'm trying to copy a file from my windows system to my new and shiny MBP.. I setup sharing just fine, bur for some reason, it's taking forever to transfer the file over. (I'm accessing the Workgroup wirelessly) When I'm on the windows side (on the laptop) it transfers just fine..

Any ideas? TIA.

BUmp, i'm trying to do the same, but not having much luck. I am wired over ethernet through a router. Its saying to transfer 29 gb, something like 80 hours and it fluctuates. That doesnt make sense to me...

Try dropping your Mac down to 10mb to see if it improves speed. Not sure about wireless though. When our clients auto-negotiated at 100mb or gigabit, performance tanked to kb speeds. But when we dropped them to 10mb, we always got stable performance.

A year ago, we were told by a Mac software dev that OS X NIC drivers just couldn't handle large, outgoing SMB file transfers. Maybe it's improved since then, maybe there's some config file options to tweak, maybe it was just the setup of our network. But at the time, that was their official fix to the slow speeds.

I hooked them up via firewire and a program called winscp, using these directions:

http://www.lifehacker.com/software/...-one-wire-network-ip-over-firewire-173973.php

Getting much faster speeds now. 25 gb now in about 3 hours estimated time.

Shitty part was I left for 4 hours, thinking it would be done, but it came up a file error 17% through asking to skip/abort/retry the file transfer. I had to abort it, and let it continue with other files. . but DAMN if that didnt piss me of it had been sitting for the last 3 hours doing nothing!

Only last night I transferred 24GB of MP3s from my WinXP PC to my new MacBook. I guess having a gigabit switch definitely helps. Both my PC and the MacBook have gigabit ports, so the transfer took about 13-15 minutes. I didn't think it could go any smoother.

What kinda of networking equipment are you using? Just a cross-over cable or going over a router/switch/hub?

Back