Core 0x23

Toconator

Gawd
Not sure if it's a problem with the 1660 Super or what but PPD seems way down on these WU's. Getting less than half what I was usually getting at only ~400K-ish PPD . Been considering a 4060 for power draw/performance reasons for the farm but this MSI 1660S is very quiet so it's not unwelcome. That is the performance my old 1060 was getting during the annual TAAT challenge but it's not really economical to keep it in the line up if this continues.

Not sure if it's a problem with the 1660 Super or what but PPD seems way down on these WU's. Getting less than half what I was usually getting at only ~400K-ish PPD . Been considering a 4060 for power draw/performance reasons for the farm but this MSI 1660S is very quiet so it's not unwelcome. That is the performance my old 1060 was getting during the annual TAAT challenge but it's not really economical to keep it in the line up if this continues.
One of the reasons I quit running F@H is because of the obvious points issues. In the last run in January it took a Ryzen 2600x, 1050TI, RX570, Ryzen 5800x and a Radeon 6750xt to equal the points the 6750xt was putting out by itself a year previous. All three GPUs were producing noticeably fewer points although the 1050Ti and RX570 on a percentage basis hadn't been hit as hard.

One of the reasons I quit running F@H is because of the obvious points issues. In the last run in January it took a Ryzen 2600x, 1050TI, RX570, Ryzen 5800x and a Radeon 6750xt to equal the points the 6750xt was putting out by itself a year previous. All three GPUs were producing noticeably fewer points although the 1050Ti and RX570 on a percentage basis hadn't been hit as hard.
Well thx SmokeRngs, nice to see you're still around and hear from ya again. And yes CPU folding is a luxury if you can take the power bill pain as GPU's are where the PPD has been for years. There's always been 'downward creep' the last few years which shouldn't be too unexpected as the projects are probably more heavily engineered BUT this was a steep rolloff of over 50% recently. The higher cards aren't showing the same reduction but they are showing some. Was just wondering if it was an anolamy or not. And hey, whassa matter with a 6750XT? Throw it on min folding at least for a few for the cause in the background. C'mon Man ;)

Ironically enough, the CPU that I was going to throw at F@H wasn't netting any PPD worth the electricity compared to even very old and/or low-end GPUs.
The CPU is now being used for CPU-only tasks in PrimeGrid.

F@H is really only worth it for GPUs at this point, assuming one is going for very large tasks and workloads.
CUDA is also apparently more efficient for their code than OpenCL is at this point, so Radeons may not net as much for similar hardware compute.

Well thx SmokeRngs, nice to see you're still around and hear from ya again. And yes CPU folding is a luxury if you can take the power bill pain as GPU's are where the PPD has been for years. There's always been 'downward creep' the last few years which shouldn't be too unexpected as the projects are probably more heavily engineered BUT this was a steep rolloff of over 50% recently. The higher cards aren't showing the same reduction but they are showing some. Was just wondering if it was an anolamy or not. And hey, whassa matter with a 6750XT? Throw it on min folding at least for a few for the cause in the background. C'mon Man ;)
I don't normally run F@H on CPUs except during things like the event in January. I'll run BOINC stuff on them from time to time, mostly when a little extra heat is nice.

The 6750xt was the main reason I stopped running F@H. A year ago it was getting 3.2 million PPD+ and by the time of the competition in January it was only doing 1.1-2.0 million at best. I'd get an occasional work unit which would hit 2.5 but the PPD compared to what I was getting just wasn't there so I moved to BOINC projects. It's not always about the points but there does come a time when I don't see a reason to crunch when the PPD drops so much. With everything I had running in January the PPD should have been 4.5-5.0 million. I'm well aware there are differences between work units and projects but a reduction of that magnitude was too much and basically pissed me off.

As of right now any DC projects are hit and miss with me depending on the weather. The other day it was 80F+ without anything crunching so I had it shut down. At the moment it's 76F with GPUs and CPUs running and the extra heat is welcome.

I don't normally run F@H on CPUs except during things like the event in January. I'll run BOINC stuff on them from time to time, mostly when a little extra heat is nice.

The 6750xt was the main reason I stopped running F@H. A year ago it was getting 3.2 million PPD+ and by the time of the competition in January it was only doing 1.1-2.0 million at best. I'd get an occasional work unit which would hit 2.5 but the PPD compared to what I was getting just wasn't there so I moved to BOINC projects. It's not always about the points but there does come a time when I don't see a reason to crunch when the PPD drops so much. With everything I had running in January the PPD should have been 4.5-5.0 million. I'm well aware there are differences between work units and projects but a reduction of that magnitude was too much and basically pissed me off.

As of right now any DC projects are hit and miss with me depending on the weather. The other day it was 80F+ without anything crunching so I had it shut down. At the moment it's 76F with GPUs and CPUs running and the extra heat is welcome.
Yeah, fair enough and you're damn right about the WU's. After posting my observation lo and behold it grabbed a core 22 unit and PPD were back to 1.2 - 1.3M. My other cards show a minor reduction on core 23 WU's but don't drop off the cliff like the 1660S. They all have substantially more shaders tho so I'm guessing the complexity of these core 23's needs a certain amount for optimal performance. As for the 6750XT FAH has usually run better on team green so glad you're running DC projects on it at least. BOINC away!

Back