CoreAVC w/ CUDA [Nvidia]

w1retap

[H]F Junkie
Let's give another go at this since the forum deleted all the previous posts..

Nvidia now allows for CUDA hardware acceleration support in CoreAVC. :cool: It's more flexible than DXVA, and offers nvidia folks a better option for hardware accelerated playback.

I've tested it with L4.0/L4.1/L5.1 videos on my HTPC with a 8600GT, and it works excellent both in VMC and Media Player Classic. For every movie I tried, CPU usage is only 5 to 30 percent.. the Nvidia CUDA technology does the rest. Also, for L5.1 video, you don't seem to need 512MB of video ram for smooth playback. After some more extensive testing, it seems to playback any profile video, as long as it's under 12 reference frames compliant. It's truly kickass. 256MB dedicated video memory is still recommended though.

*note* You need the Nvidia 182.xx drivers for it to function properly. There are still a few minor issues that I'm sure will be ironed out. (blocking when scanning/fast-forwarding, and color profile mismatch are two that I've noticed in *some* encodes I have)

http://www.coreavc.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=27&Itemid=1

CoreAVC H.264 Video Codec - Version 1.9.0.0 (20090210)
- Add: NVIDIA CUDA accelerated video decoding (Thanks NVIDIA!!!)
- Add: NVIDIA CUDA detection to installer
- Add: Tray icon showing NVIDIA CUDA state (green=in use, blue=not in use)
- Add: Tray icon mouse over shows 32bit/64bit states
- Add: Initial installer changes for 32/64bit
- Add: Updated Haali Media Splitter
- Fix: Focus bug related to MCE
- Fix: Focus prevention when the tray icon is off
- Fix: Improve seeking on frames with one IDR frame
- Fix: Various small bugs

CUDA supported cards: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUDA#Supported_GPUs

Have you tested any videos with reference frames higher than 12? I have a few that go up to 16 and I'm curious whether this will work on them.

Nvidia now allows for CUDA hardware acceleration support in CoreAVC

Its not really CUDA per se as it doesnt use the stream processors, but instead uses the VideoProcessor via CUDA instead of VideoProcessor via DXVA and because of that has the limitations that some 8 series cards are not supported such as 8800GTS as it needs vp2/vp3.

However it is a step forward, but also contains many bugs currently with blocks and green squares showing on several videos.

Have you tested any videos with reference frames higher than 12

According to some users, videos with 10ref frames are getting blocky/green frames, however the videos with 16ref frames are working correctly, so its really hit/miss right now.

Anything up to 12 reference frames works for me. Anything above that, CUDA just doesn't enable, but CoreAVC still works fine.

When installing it says this.

For those who cant click the link it says when installing ''Requirement: Nvidia CUDA-enabled card*, NVIDIA video drivers version 181.64 or later.

Im on 185.20, so im hoping its not an issue, but if i recall the latest nvidia drivers are 181.22.

I have been using this codec for the last 14 days.
Trial just ended.

But im not convinced that I should buy it.

I mean the CUDA support is great and all but, what advantage does it offer, that say the MPCvideodec.ax decoder doesnt?
I mean its DXVA, and supports systems that are ATI based, and doesnt need a framework such as CUDA to support it.

I dont have a CUDA system near a HDTV so I cant tell a difference in picture quality versus mpcvideo decoder.

The only difference that I can tell is the price.

Let me know what you guys think.

When I Installed this trial CoreAVC Setup says that the GeForce 9400 is not supported which is what is on my Mobo.

In The settings for CoreAVC I cannot select to Enable Cuda... But I was using beta drivers in Win 7

You must be using the 182.xx+ drivers....which are not on win7 updates.
If you run vista or XP it will work

I dont have a CUDA system near a HDTV so I cant tell a difference in picture quality versus mpcvideo decoder.

There should never be a difference between any H264 decoders, they should all output the same image as per the specs.......disregarding any post processing done afterwards however.

Unless you specifically need CoreAVC then do not buy it, both FFDShow, MPC, DivX are great free alternatives. I purchased Core back in 2006 for the football world cup but dont even use it anymore. As long as your hardware is already capable of delivering more FPS than is needed for the movie, your good to go with what you already have.

Just a side-note on the new CoreAVC CUDA support, the primary vid.card also has to support VP2/VP3. Like in my game rig setup... if I have the primary display set to my 8800GTX (SLI mode or not), CoreAVC won't switch to CUDA decoding, but if I set the primary to the monitor that is plugged to my 8600GT it works fine. Meaning, it will only be enabled depending on which is the primary video card. Even if you are going to start the video from the monitor that is using the VP2/VP3 capable card.

I will be testing to other way around this weekend...

This is only a side-note to those who don't have VP2/VP3 compatible 8800 series cards, mostly the 8800GTS (320MB/640MB), 8800GTX and 8800 Ultra and have a third card for either PhysX or for multi monitor (which I do).

I hope I wrote this down clearly... I'm not good at explaining as what I picture on my head.

In order to support this CUDA decoding process, you need a G84 or later core.. i.e. a card that support VP2 decoding or later. Support might be extended later to all CUDA enabled cards, but I don't know.

Any advantage to using this over the Total Media Theater codec for my HD-PVR playback?

Back