coretemp, speedfan, or realtemp - which one is right?

junglism

n00b
what's up y'all -

this is my first post, and i just finished my very first build (specs in sig). Didn't really have too many issues thanks to everyone @ the [H] :). I have a couple of questions though: my idle core temps come back different depending which monitoring program i look at. I think they are kinda high, but realtemp (high 30's - low 40's) is like 10 degrees cooler than coretemp and speedfan (high 40's - low 50's).

These are stock speed temps. So, which one should i believe?

Second: I originally used the TIM that came with the xigmatech, but I got temps quiet similar to those listed above. I've already reseated the heatsink once and changed paste to AS-5. I applied the paste like the instructions on their website described (i possibly used too much?). But considering my temps from above, does it look like i did something wrong? should i try to reseat it again?

Oh, one more thing: How close should the temp of each core be to the others? Should they all be equal or is 5 or 6 degrees between them mean anything?

I would really like to try to oc this chip, but just want to make sure i'm starting from a good place.

thanks for your help guys!
nate

Temps between the cores within 5 or 6 degrees are fine. Also I bet your temps are fine too presuming those are load temps, its easy to get caught up with a lot of people saying their temps are super low, but really they could be just as confused as you :)

Anyway do not bother seating the heat sink again. If you did it twice and temps are similar, that likely means you did it properly twice, and didn't screw it up twice. With AS5, temps may drop a couple degrees C over the next week anyway.

ahh...sorry, those are idle temps...too high?

thx

50s would be high for idle, however load temps are what you care about. Fire up Real Temp, get some Orthos/Prime loads running (make sure its using all the cores) and see what you get. The temp sensors are calibrated for high temps, not low temps.

open up coretemp, if the tj.max is 100C then that is showing the accurate temp

they're all supposed to be correct somehow, but its a dice base on ur chip and board whether they wanna play nice or not...

ok, so under prime95 load (ran all night), and tj max set to 100, realtemp and coretemp are giving me mid to high 50's.
do these sound too high for stock settings? and if so, what do you guys recommend to get them closer to what most other people seem to be getting?

sorry so many q's and thx for the help.
nate

50s are fine for load temps, do not get caught up comparing temps to everyone else. You almost never know what apps other people are using to measure, and a lot of people "calibrate" their temp sensors which basically does little but give them a lower temp readout so they can sleep better at night.

Back