skudmunky

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a Corsair 620 HX powering my main rig. Specs are:

Core 2 Duo E6750
Gigabyte P35C-DS3R
EVGA 8800GTS 640
OCZ Plat. XTC 2x 1 gig
Creative x-fi Xtreme Music

with 3 WD 250gb, 2 Seagate 320gb, and 1 WD 500gb hard drives and a Samsung CD/DVD/Lightscribe burner, 6 120mm fans on a fan controller, and 12", 4" cold cathodes.

I thought the 620 watt Corsair would be able to power this, and up until recently it has. But, a few days ago, my system stopped POSTing, the fans would just spin up and my GPU fan would spin at max speed. After about 5 minutes of flipping switches and making sure everything was connected, I got it on and it worked perfectly. Next morning, same thing happened. Wouldn't POST initially, but after 5 or so minutes of fiddling it booted right up. This morning it happened again, and I decided to try unplugging some drives. With all my hard drives unplugged, it POSTed right away. Plugged em all back in, no POST. Unplugged 2 of them, POSTed.

Now, up until this point I had recently replaced my OCZ ram with Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800, rated at 2.2 volts. I took this ram out, put in my older OCZ Plat. XTC DDR2 800, which runs at 2.1 volts, plugged all my drives back in, and turned my PC on. POSTed right away, and it's been working fine.

[edit] I've had this Corsair 620 HX running for a bit over 1 year, bought it new last february.

Is my PSU going bad? Is my system just pushing the limits of my PSU? Or, could this be a different hardware problem? Any insight is appreciated.

The only other possibility I could see is bad memory since replacing your memory fixed the problem too, the 620 HX is a very strong PSU but I would download an iso of memtest86 and run it for 24 hours and see if you are pulling errors if you can get your system to POST again with the crucial RAM, that would def. help you narrow down your problem.

IMO bad RAM.

I have same PSU also a year old (Jan 07), but Q6600 @ 3.2GHz, 8800GT (700/1750/2000), 4x1GB RAM, 4 HDDs, 8 fans, folding/gaming with zero issues here.

FYI, the crucial ram is fresh back from a RMA. so it should be brand new sticks. I really hope that crucial hasn't given me bad ram 2 times in a row...

I guess I'll find out tomorrow, as its only after the computer has been off for a night that it's failed to POST.

If you do beleive it's your PSU, Corsair offers a 5-year warranty. You can rma it, and see what happens. You'll just be out shipping costs and a down PC for the turn around time.

If you do beleive it's your PSU, Corsair offers a 5-year warranty. You can rma it, and see what happens. You'll just be out shipping costs and a down PC for the turn around time.

well, the problem with that is I'm going to Digital Overload (3 day lan party in RI ) in 6 days. no time to RMA. Guess ill get a backup PSU from microcenter and return it if I dont need it.

It's not your PS, you're killing your ram with too much voltage. Only give the ram enough volts so that it runs stable. Most crucial ballistix can run up to 1000 in the 1.8-2.0 range. Try stock volts first and only give it more if you're getting mem test errors.

I have a Corsair 620 HX powering my main rig. Specs are:

Core 2 Duo E6750
Gigabyte P35C-DS3R
EVGA 8800GTS 640
OCZ Plat. XTC 2x 1 gig
Creative x-fi Xtreme Music

with 3 WD 250gb, 2 Seagate 320gb, and 1 WD 500gb hard drives and a Samsung CD/DVD/Lightscribe burner, 6 120mm fans on a fan controller, and 12", 4" cold cathodes.

I thought the 620 watt Corsair would be able to power this, and up until recently it has. But, a few days ago, my system stopped POSTing, the fans would just spin up and my GPU fan would spin at max speed. After about 5 minutes of flipping switches and making sure everything was connected, I got it on and it worked perfectly. Next morning, same thing happened. Wouldn't POST initially, but after 5 or so minutes of fiddling it booted right up. This morning it happened again, and I decided to try unplugging some drives. With all my hard drives unplugged, it POSTed right away. Plugged em all back in, no POST. Unplugged 2 of them, POSTed.

Now, up until this point I had recently replaced my OCZ ram with Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800, rated at 2.2 volts. I took this ram out, put in my older OCZ Plat. XTC DDR2 800, which runs at 2.1 volts, plugged all my drives back in, and turned my PC on. POSTed right away, and it's been working fine.

[edit] I've had this Corsair 620 HX running for a bit over 1 year, bought it new last february.

Is my PSU going bad? Is my system just pushing the limits of my PSU? Or, could this be a different hardware problem? Any insight is appreciated.

Other then the cpu,my wifes system is near exactly the same as yours,except she has a q6600 like me,and she also uses a HX620,but has no issues.It is possible that your PS is kicking it,but I would try feeding it (ram) less voltage or unplugging a few things in the system first.The warranty they offer is bulltproof,so if it is the PS,your covered.It might be your mobo too.

GL !

Back