Corsair 800D airflow direction

ebolamonkey3

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys I just got a 800D :)D) and I'm putting my new system in there over the weekend, after all the components arrive. I don't have the resources to go watercooling so I am sticking with air at the moment. I have heard air cooling is poor inside the 800D with its stock fan configurations, and I heard that you need to change the back exhaust to a back intake. Is that it? Are there any other things I should be doing?

Oh, I have a CM V8 cooler btw, do I just flip it to draw air from the back fan and push out toward the front 5.25 bays?

*Edit: I have a Phenom II X6 1055T in there (OC) and 2 Radeon 5770s, only one hard drive for now but will have more in the future.

if i were you, I'd get an h50 so that it'd intake air from where the original exhaust fan was. I'd then make the furthest back fan slot on top another intake fan, and I'd make the other two empty fan slots at the top exhaust.

Sorry, don't have money for another H50 as I just bought the V8 (bad decision it seems). I'll do that with the top fan though. Should I add another intake fan on the very bottom of the case?

Sorry, don't have money for another H50 as I just bought the V8 (bad decision it seems). I'll do that with the top fan though. Should I add another intake fan on the very bottom of the case?

The V8 is not very good. In fact it is way overpriced for its performance as there are coolers $20 cheaper that outperform it. I'd return it back if you could as you would be much better off with the H50, especially in the 800D.

I used to own the 800D. I did not have the h50 with it, but I remember what Redbeard said (corsair rep). He said he achieved the best CPU temps in the 800D with the h50 (as intake) and furthest back top fan slot as intake and the other 2 top front fan slots as exhaust.

I guess you could add another intake to the bottom compartment of the 800D, but it'd just be directly under the intake fan already on the bottom of the motherboard compartment. Not sure what difference it'd make.

It's come to my attention that with the case under a desk (as most people would have it) the best thing to do is to leave the stock configuration.

Unless you add the top three fans as exhaust and turn the rear fan into an intake, in which case you can get lower CPU temps. The top three fans really force a lot of the warmer air out of the case. Even some Scythe GTs, the -13 models at 1150 RPM, do a fantastic job.

It's come to my attention that with the case under a desk (as most people would have it) the best thing to do is to leave the stock configuration.

Unless you add the top three fans as exhaust and turn the rear fan into an intake, in which case you can get lower CPU temps. The top three fans really force a lot of the warmer air out of the case. Even some Scythe GTs, the -13 models at 1150 RPM, do a fantastic job.

For my cousin, I had him get the h50 (gave him my 800D). Obviously the h50 is an intake, but I made the furthest top fan an intake fan, and the front two top as exhaust because I think you said it gave you the best temps. Would it be better for my cousin to make them all exhaust? Obviously concerned about GPU temps and motherboard temps too.

Edit, found the post
My personal rig is in my bedroom. It's set up with an H50 push-pull in the back with a couple of Scythe fans (wife thought the stock ones were too loud to leave it on while we're sleeping. Staying married is worth giving up 6 degrees C) and the top 3 fans are set up in the following order INTAKE - EXHAUST - EXHAUST from the rear.

So, you're saying that configuration isn't the best anymore?

Last edited:
Under my desk I found that turning one of the top fans into an intake while the others were exhaust makes it just recycle the air a bit.

Hmm.. I'll try to return the V8 then, don't know if Fry's will take it back after I've already installed it on the mobo.

Also, I bought 3 Scythe slip stream 800 rpm fans, I figured I'll put 1 intake at the top back slot and 2 exhaust on top toward the front, the flip the back exhaust into intake and be done with it, sounds good?

Mostly worried about chipset/video card temps, as my CPU runs at 45~ load right now and I'm not too worried about it.

Hmm.. I'll try to return the V8 then, don't know if Fry's will take it back after I've already installed it on the mobo.

Also, I bought 3 Scythe slip stream 800 rpm fans, I figured I'll put 1 intake at the top back slot and 2 exhaust on top toward the front, the flip the back exhaust into intake and be done with it, sounds good?

Mostly worried about chipset/video card temps, as my CPU runs at 45~ load right now and I'm not too worried about it.

Just say the V8 doesn't work. They should if it is within 30 days.

I've been happy with my set up.

The H50 is an push/pull intake on the back. I have 3 Sythe GT's 1850s on the top running half speed as exhausts. (Fan controller.) I like the rear top one sucking the hot air from the H50 rad straight out. You can feel the heat difference between the front 2 fans and the rear one. (Considering turning the front into an intake but need a dust filter first.)

The PSU section fan is stock for now, but I'm planning to get a better one for it. (The one I bought didn't fit due to some stupididty on my part.)

The people saying the airflow sucks, probably never actually used an 800D. I have yet to have any issues with it.

Sleeve bearing fans don't like running in horizontal position and can wear out and fail in months.
From Scythe fans S-Flex and Gentle Typhoon are fitting for horizontal use.

Oh wow that's good to know, gonna skip the bottom slot then. Reason I got the 800rpm fans is because I will be keeping it on during the night and it'll be pretty close to my bed. Hope they have enough CFM though.

Back