Corsair AX850 noise?

Rajveer

Limp Gawd
Does anyone know how quiet the Corsair AX850 PSUs are? I'm looking to replace my Seasonic S12 Energy Plus 650W for a new build, and can't wait for the X-850.

I'd like the system to be pretty quiet. I'll be reusing my P182 but changing all the case fans for Scythe Slipstream 1200rpm and a Scythe S-Flex for top exhaust (all speed controlled), with Akasa Apaches in push-pull for the heatsink.

You can pretty much expect Seasonic X performance from them, as they are based on that platform. Those units operate fanless at low loads.

It is going to depend on the fan. The X-series comes with Sanyo Denki San Ace's, but Corsair has a preference for going with fans that are just good enough and not truely great even when the product they are rebranding from their OEM comes with better fans to save a buck. If they pop the Sanyo Denki for another Yate Loon they will tell you it is good enough, but it will likely be louder as with previous units which they have used the cheaper Yate Loon's in.

It is going to depend on the fan. The X-series comes with Sanyo Denki San Ace's, but Corsair has a preference for going with fans that are just good enough and not truely great even when the product they are rebranding from their OEM comes with better fans to save a buck. If they pop the Sanyo Denki for another Yate Loon they will tell you it is good enough, but it will likely be louder as with previous units which they have used the cheaper Yate Loon's in.

The AX750 and AX850 come with Sanyo Denki fans.

The AX1200 comes with a Yate Loon because it was designed around a 140mm fan design and that was the best 140mm fan choice when it came to a balance of noise and performance. Sanyo Denki didn't make a 140mm fan that met our needs during the design process of the AX1200.

The 750 and 850 don't spin up the fan under low loads, so they're dead silent on idle on most systems, and the fans only spin up under load.

Yeah I guessed they'd perform the same as the X-series as they're based on it's platform, but wasn't sure about whether they'd use the same fan or not. That's great that they're using Sanyo Denki fans, just like Seasonic's X-series. And I saw the temperature-noise graph on the AX850 website where the fan kicks in at 20% and stays at around 16dB until 50%, looks exactly like the graph on Seasonic's page for their X-750 so it should be just as quiet. I'm so tempted to hit buy...

Back