Corsair Dominator 24GB of RAM

exactly along the lines of what you were thinking, i could see more people setting up ramdisks.

There are plenty of reasons to add RAM, though most of them are not for home use. I've maxed out my 8GB on several occasions compiling and debugging some code for work, finally prompting me to upgrade my computer to 16GB. (My home system is infinitely faster than anything work can provide, so it's faster to copy-compile-copy.) Now I'm in the processing of virtualing my fileserver, which will be running 24/7 on the same rig, so that's another 1GB inaccessible for anything else. I spent the past week tinkering with RAMdisks, but they only seem to be about 60% efficient in terms of space- a 4GB RAMdisk only held about 2.8GB of actual files before claiming it was full. I scratched that idea.

I plan on building a workstation system for school, animation is so important so I really think it will a good invest. Here's the specs:

Asus P6T7 Supercomputer x58 Motherboard
Intel Core i7 920 O.C. to 4 GHZ
Corsair Dominator RAM 24G
Nvidia Quadro 3800
Corsair 128 G solid state drive for Win 7
Two WD 1.5 Terabyte H.D.D. in Raid 1
Asus Xonar STX Essence , music is important for working :D
Silverstone FT02-B with window
Corsair 1000HW-X PSU
all on H20 and sleeved
Tell me what you guys think?

In addition this will have a Dell 3008 as monitor

WIN 7 and even just a little bit of software is going to quickly eat up that 128GB SSD. Depending on what other drives you have available, you may want to RAID-0 2 x 128s or use a single 256GB drive. Other than that, the system sounds like a monster.

WIN 7 and even just a little bit of software is going to quickly eat up that 128GB SSD. Depending on what other drives you have available, you may want to RAID-0 2 x 128s or use a single 256GB drive. Other than that, the system sounds like a monster.

Eh... That is a matter of opinion. I have Windows 7 64 bit, Adobe CS4 Pro, and like 8 large games on my 80 GB SSD. I still have 10 GBs left. For me, that is pretty much everything I need for fast access.

Eh... That is a matter of opinion. I have Windows 7 64 bit, Adobe CS4 Pro, and like 8 large games on my 80 GB SSD. I still have 10 GBs left. For me, that is pretty much everything I need for fast access.

Uhmmm....no, it's a fact. You just proved it.

8 "large" games? The last Warhammer online install I saw was approximately 30GB IIRC. So, if you have 8 of them loaded, they are not "large" games.

80GB and 128GB SSDs will fill up VERY quickly. Add MS Office and some music and you are well over capacity. However, using rotational drives in the mix can offset this.

If you don't game then 80GB could be enough, but if you do your probably going to find space an issue. I have 2x80GB and I'm down to 20GB. If you only play a couple games then maybe you'll be ok for a while.

24GB is overkill not because we couldn't find a use for it with RAMdisks, but because 1x4GB sticks cost so much more than 2x2GB kits. Unless you have very narrow needs (something you can satisfy with a 22GB ramdisk but not a 10GB one), it's a large waste of money, $1350 vs $300, to go with 24GB rather than 12GB. The difference could buy you a 256GB PCIE SSD.

Last edited:
24GB is overkill not because we couldn't find a use for it with RAMdisks, but because 1x4GB sticks cost so much more than 2x2GB kits. Unless you have very narrow needs (something you can satisfy with a 22GB ramdisk but not a 10GB one), it's a large waste of money, $1350 vs $300, to go with 24GB rather than 12GB. The difference could buy you a 256GB PCIE SSD.
I can see your point on the cash vs need, but I find that this could help in the rendering process, plus real time rendering is very taxing on a system its not easy and in fact very hard on the system, so ya a 256 SSD is nice, but then people would also argue over the 750.00 price tag of a drive where you can get three raptors in raid 0 or raid 5 and then compare... but you could also you the other cash for something else too. So its all really comes down to preference and taste and really need.

Rendering may be very taxing on the system, but with your particular usage case does it do *ANYTHING* with 24GB that it can't do with 12GB?

Finite Element Analysis or CFD computational Fluid dynamics (or colorful fluid dynamics if you perfer). For detailed work you could easily crack the need for 24GB of memory. Of corse you'd want that paired with 1 (if not 2) overclocked i7s. A pair of gulftown Xeons clocked to 5Ghz and 24GB of memory is a wet dream to FEA/CFD junkies.

Finite Element Analysis or CFD computational Fluid dynamics (or colorful fluid dynamics if you perfer). For detailed work you could easily crack the need for 24GB of memory. Of corse you'd want that paired with 1 (if not 2) overclocked i7s. A pair of gulftown Xeons clocked to 5Ghz and 24GB of memory is a wet dream to FEA/CFD junkies.
The kind of rendering I am looking into is 15-30 minute walkthrough's in Sketchup, AutoCAD, Revit, and Solidworks with resolutions way above 1080p, something more like 1600p. Most of the projects that I currently work on are no where near this level, but its simply because I understand the limitations of my current computer. I mean a 30mb sketchup file crashes after 20 minutes of use on my current computer and thats is just crappy.... I can see the need for two i7 and two xeons would be insane. However, i dont know if I personally could use that much power... :D

We're not looking to "crack the need" for 24GB of memory, because after 24GB you need very different hardware. If your needs are more than a 22GB RAMdisk, then you'll be bottlenecked by the rest of your storage and you should be considering SSD anyway. If they're less than a 10GB RAMdisk, then you can use 2GB modules and pick up an SSD. It's the zone between 10GB and 22GB that this is even remotely useful, and in the grand scheme of things that's not a large market segment.

Last edited:
Back