Corsair H70 CPU Cooler Unboxing

That is a ton of thermal paste. There's more damn paste on that thing than peanut butter on my sandwich.

I guess it really comes down to your case, EG, the corsair obsidian 800, and the Antec 900/1200 with the big exhaust fan on top, having the rad cooler pulling hot air in might not make a big difference, but with a closed top case it would seem counter-productive to cool your cpu down by an extra degree or two, while heating everything else up by 10-15degrees.

Should've used black screws, and I'm not sure how well those 90 angle's are going to work out.

Been waiting for this cooler.

I want to see if it can beat my Noctua D-14. If it can, it had better be as silent.

YEAH!! The H70 better be 20 better than the H50.. 20 WHAT is the ? Redbeard.. got an answer for us? :D

Kyle.. since you ranted about it a bit, any chance you will rotate the case fans in different ways than per Corsair's recommendations?

airflow.jpg

What case is that?

Wonder how this actually affects overall airflow in a case like mine that uses a rear 120mm exhaust fan.

I have to think that even with a push/pull exhaust setup on either side of a cooling solution such as this, that is has to slow down airflow in the case compared to just having a single 120mm fan exhausting air.

looks pretty sweet. beefy ass rad. might have to put it on the outside of the case :p

Are those tubes the same length as the H50 (11-12")? They looks very short in that pic sitting on top of the box.

I do BETTER than that with the H50

i7 -920 C0 @ 4 1.44v MAX load with prime95 - 53c (Idles at 30c)

I use the H50 with a push/pull setup in a Raven 2 case...

LOL. Prime 95 isn't even close to max load. Try LinX buddy. P95 wont even get my CPU hot.

P95 max temp 58c- LinX max temp 73c. That is a ton more heat.

And unless you live in the arctic then I'm calling shens.

Right now, I have a H50 on my [email protected] 1.3v. Idles at 36C and load is 73c with LinX. During real use, my CPU temp never gets above about 55c. But I won't claim that is the the full load temp.

How you orient your fan depends on what your ambient temp is inside your case vs outside your case. Remember coolers can only cool to what the ambient air temp is. If the air inside your case is 50 degrees C, then the coolest the water in the Rad will get is... 50 degrees C. If the inside of your case is warmer then where your intake is going to go, it will actually act as a CPU heater.

I had an H50 and it made a 12 degrees C drop pulling air into the case....

When it comes to WC and radiators, it all comes down to where can you find the COLDEST air.... inside the case or outside the case.... Some well done rigs may have no difference or bring in enough air to actually be as cool or cooler inside than out.... 7 out of 10 times you will find the best route is to pull air in through the back INTO the case.... go buy a cheap thermometer and place it in the case let it run up to full speed... then place the same one outside where it would suck air in... where ever gets the coldest air, should be your source...

Otherwise what you bought is a CPU warmer...

Otherwise what you bought is a CPU warmer...

Or a CPU cooler that doesn't bake the rest of your components. If all you care about is CPU temperatures, good for you. But don't come crying to the forums when your RAM dies because you were dumping hot air all over it.

Unless you've got very good airflow in your case that will exhaust that hot air immediately (say with a 200mm top fan), you'd be stupid to dump hot air into your case just to say your CPU is a few degrees cooler.

I had an H50 and it made a 12 degrees C drop pulling air into the case...

You may want to examine your case airflow. If it honestly made a 12C difference, then you have seriously terrible case ventilation, because the air inside your case must have been blazing hot. I don't think I've seen anyone else report a 12c difference between the two configurations ever. The most I've seen is 3-4c.

That thick of a radiator would make those puny 25mm fans scream to push enough hot air out quickly enough; even in push-pull.

That 50mm radiator needs a thicker fan (or 2). The H50's selling point was it's ability to compete with tower coolers while maintaining flexibility in variety of cases that it could be mounted it. It did not have the height requirement of tower-coolers, so therefore it could fit into smaller case setups.

This monstrosity however, seems to defeat the purpose with that huge radiator. It, of course, might perform as well as most air-coolers, but only at almost double the cost.

I dunno, this thing's selling point is basically the "CORSAIR" brand, and bragging rights about owning a "water-cooled" setup.

Well Lian Li A05 owners put it as intake cause that's the way the case is orientated.

dunno I think it will choke like the h50, better to stick with my NH-D14.
also any chance in the test kyle we get some LinX and some occt. If the overclock can't pass those 2 test then it not stable and the heat sink wont be worth it.

i think f@h is a harder stress test then those two, oh and I <3 my h50 ;)

Unless you've got very good airflow in your case that will exhaust that hot air immediately (say with a 200mm top fan), you'd be stupid to dump hot air into your case just to say your CPU is a few degrees cooler.

Agreed. You need a case with a top mounted blowhole(s) to take full advantage of this without compromising your other components, most notably your vid card(s). Just to note, an air cooler dumps hot air into the case as well, you just don't have to block off your rear fan to use one, which is essentially what an H50/70 does in it's traditional setup. Additional exit fans make up for this. Hell, just get one of those Antec skeletons!

So just wondering, is this going to get a review?

I remember the unboxing of the level10 case what seems like months ago, did I miss the review of that? I'd been looking forward to it since that unboxing.

That thick of a radiator would make those puny 25mm fans scream to push enough hot air out quickly enough; even in push-pull.

That 50mm radiator needs a thicker fan (or 2). The H50's selling point was it's ability to compete with tower coolers while maintaining flexibility in variety of cases that it could be mounted it. It did not have the height requirement of tower-coolers, so therefore it could fit into smaller case setups.

This monstrosity however, seems to defeat the purpose with that huge radiator. It, of course, might perform as well as most air-coolers, but only at almost double the cost.

I dunno, this thing's selling point is basically the "CORSAIR" brand, and bragging rights about owning a "water-cooled" setup.

What thick fan would you use? I tried looking at thicker fan options and they all look really loud.

Fans with relatively decent pressure should handle it fine (ie Noctua NF-P12). Though I can't foresee me sticking a fan on the outside of my case, would look a little out of place :p Personal taste though :)

I think the radiator was limiting the performance of the H50, so this should help a bit despite the fact that increasing radiator thickness doesn't seem to produce a proportional (in terms of surface area) increase in heat dissipation.

I wish they had just named this the H50-GT or H50+.

Then reserve H70 for a 140mm version, which I bet would perform quite well. I'm not sure how many cases would be compatible, however.

I don't understand why it'd come bundled with fans... that should just be an option, no? I suppose the NH-D14 is bundled with 2 fans as well... but it's not quite as expensive.

I wonder how the Gentle Typhoons would do with this radiator

I currently have 2 Typhoons 1850rpm on my H50. I would be very tempted to upgrade if this H70 can offer a good amount of improvement :p

I think the radiator was limiting the performance of the H50, so this should help a bit despite the fact that increasing radiator thickness doesn't seem to produce a proportional (in terms of surface area) increase in heat dissipation.

I wish they had just named this the H50-GT or H50+.

Then reserve H70 for a 140mm version, which I bet would perform quite well. I'm not sure how many cases would be compatible, however.

I don't understand why it'd come bundled with fans... that should just be an option, no? I suppose the NH-D14 is bundled with 2 fans as well... but it's not quite as expensive.

mm.. not many cases.. i cant remember the last time ive seen a case with a 140mm rear fan.. 120mm is the standard and largest market.. if they were to go larger it would most likely have to be 200mm for a blow hole mounting since 200mm is pretty much the standard size for that..

and what dont you understand about the 2 fans? this is pretty much a noob proof water cooling setup.. thus you sell to your buyers and most of them arent going to know what fans to use.. then you get those people bitching on newegg about the performance because they are using some generic pos fan(s) on the rad.. and not having the fans is pretty much an automatic fail when it comes to reviews.. i mean seriously, how many times have you seen kyle and the other guy that does heatsink reviews bitch about heatsinks that dont come with fans? happens on almost every one of them..

just got mine for 59 at best buy made a huge diff

nice the H50's still over priced at bestbuy where i am but they hold a monopoly here on computer hardware.. i really want the H70 but if the H50 drops in price im snagging one so i can toss this thermaltake big typhoon VX..

I don't understand why it'd come bundled with fans... that should just be an option, no?

It would be nice if they gave us fanless editions for a little less. However, it would mean marketing and selling two products instead of one, and they make a lot of markup on the fans (cost 50c to make and they add $10 to $20 onto the price tag :p) Well, one can hope :)

It would be nice if they gave us fanless editions for a little less. However, it would mean marketing and selling two products instead of one, and they make a lot of markup on the fans (cost 50c to make and they add $10 to $20 onto the price tag :p) Well, one can hope :)

i dont think not selling the fans with it would make a difference in price.. the savings to the customer would be what a dollar? it would just give them a reason to raise the price on the version with both fans instead of dropping the price on the version without the fans..

So just wondering, is this going to get a review?

I remember the unboxing of the level10 case what seems like months ago, did I miss the review of that? I'd been looking forward to it since that unboxing.

00868737.jpg
wrote this on June 27 about why he never finished the Level 10 build..

this is why I try to ever say a time line on something is coming. When I do this, hardware schedule always gets effed up. Been a lot of things going on here and it fell to the bottom of the priority. But the parts are all pulled together for the build finally.
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1035881028&postcount=131

good keep demanding.. doesnt mean we will get the numbers any quicker..

well hey I asked them to make a thicker one they said they would work on it. They made it(probably were already working on it). Whats to make me think asking for more info wont work?

I do BETTER than that with the H50

i7 -920 C0 @ 4 1.44v MAX load with prime95 - 53c (Idles at 30c)

I use the H50 with a push/pull setup in a Raven 2 case...

Better programs then prime for producing heat. Intel Burn in gives me 10C higher easily over Prime. Also 53C for an overclocked 920 @ 4ghz seems really cold for your setup.

What thick fan would you use? I tried looking at thicker fan options and they all look really loud.

Some good el-cheapo fans with great performance is actually the Cooler Master R4s.

They are sleeve bearings yes, but if placed vertically their lifespan is very decent, and they are very low in noise to begin with.

Due to their low price, you can easily swap them out if you feel one is starting to get louder :p.

I thought about it this way.

One Gentle typhoon = 3x R4 fans in terms of price. The gentle typhoon is dual ball bearing, and there is a distinctive hum to it. My R4s are sleeve, and yes they may degrade faster over time, but they have lasted for a year without any perceived sound increase.

What do you think is a better choice? :p

(I actually have both GT and R4 fans, they are very similar in fin design, and both perform very well).

I would like to see how this stacks up in the tests. I do think maybe the hosing is a little short.

just going to say that F@H is not a good heat producer per say. Dont get me wrong, it is full load, and I run mid 60's, but P95 is hotter than folding. It gets about 1-2 below P95. Power consumption is also a lot lower on folding than P95. Ive done what I consider semi extensive testing on my dual Xeon 3.9ghz SR2 rig and it shows that much. Is folding a lot more picky than P95? Yes, but P95 creates more heat and draws more power. P95 still isnt the best way to max a CPU, but it worked well enough for me.

Just putting that out there

Any news on whether or not it uses the same retention ring mount the H50 uses? A drop in upgrade would be fantastic... and appeal to my lazy nature.

;)

My guess is it keeps up or barely edges out the top air coolers at best.

H50 is on par with top air coolers. H70 should do significantly better than its predecessor (5c+) or it will be a disappointment.

H50 is on par with top air coolers. H70 should do significantly better than its predecessor (5c+) or it will be a disappointment.

it does already come with 2 fans and the H50 came with 1. People who added a second fan to the h50 dropped their temps significantly.

Sure thats not a missprint?? Normal case air flow is front to back why would they want air forced back into the case as the rear mount fan for which you would normally put this radiator is right around CPU / Mobo area?? That would seem to totally defeat the purpose, cool the CPU while pushing hot air back to the mobo / cpu / cooling unit parts area, any gain would be lost by such things, right????

Any prices or is it still NDA item???

Back