Corsair Labs: HTPC Build Log October 2009

Mike Clements

Gone but not Forgotten
Corsair Labs brings you another system build log. This time we take a look at 2 great ways to achieve fantastic HTPC performance. Read the article here: HTPC 2009

attachment.php

Interesting choices to say the least.

While nice to see two extremes, was a HTPC that was in the middle of those two setups performance and cost wise ever considered?

Interesting choices to say the least.

While nice to see two extremes, was a HTPC that was in the middle of those two setups performance and cost wise ever considered?

No, and there are 2 primary reasons for that.

1. I did not want to build 3 systems into that case.

2. This is really just a guide or outline and most users will have their own criteria for deciding what MOBO/CPU/GPU combo to use.

Both are pretty nice systems and I like that you calculated software into the total cost. :)

Both are pretty nice systems and I like that you calculated software into the total cost. :)

Thanks. There are as always an infinite number of variables to consider but, we could not document the functionality we did and not include the software. Both setups are VERY cool.

As it stands in my house, I'd probably go the Zotac route. I have enough fully functional PCs that my HTPC does not need to be a monster. However, it would be totally cool to have an HTPC based on the i5 option that would serve as an excellent backup machine for most users.

Forgive my ignorance and lack of comprehension but can that HD HomeRun record premium cable channels like HBO and the like?

Forgive my ignorance and lack of comprehension but can that HD HomeRun record premium cable channels like HBO and the like?

Nope. Think of it as a networked HVR 950 (but with two tuners). It can pull a QAM signal as well as an ATSC signal. :)

the best thing about the HDHR is the the network tuner pool.

I have 2 HTPCs, my laptop and my desktop and they are all connected to 2 HDHRs that are in my "rack."

To watch most football and most of the shows I watch (network tv) it works great.... then i will add a 4 stream Cablecard tuner when they become available...

Last edited:
Back