Corsair Obsidian 550d?

How is the noise level and cooling in the case? What noctua fans did you put in the front? :D

cooling is decent I suppose.

I've got 2 p12's in the front, 2 f12's on the radiator above and a p14 on the rear.

also have 2 side fans on the case, i forgot what model, schlye or something at 700rpm or so.

case temp reads at 30-31c

Are those corair fans quieter? Better cooling? Pwm? Other than asthetics are the corsair fans better than the noctua?

That looks great - let us know how your noise levels and cooling worked out after the change!

Very nice! Can you tell us how the temps and noise are

The Noctua fans are definitely quieter when being compared to the Corsair fans - both with their respective L.N.A.'s (low noise adapter/resistor) installed, but I can get the Corsair fans pretty quiet with mobo fan control.

Still have some tweaking to do, but these Corsair fans seem to be pretty good.

@ :.:.:

Does it give better airflow and static pressure than your previous noctua fans?

At the risk of sounding like a broken record... (now that's an outdated cliche these days) :D :

With the last few posts, I think what we've established is the fact that while there are tests of the Corsair 550D in its stock configuration out there to be found - what is really desired by many in the community is an idea of just how good this case cools with aftermarket fans and additional fans.

It's being marketed as a quiet case but has so many fan mounts that even if you leave the side and top fan covers on it might cool pretty well.

The Corsair product page itself has an image of one built up with what looks like an SLI'd GTX580 setup - and most of us here know that's a recipe for quite a bit of extra heat.

I (for one) would hate to drop $130 on this case only to find that I have to take the fan mount covers off to be able to game with my system in it. It wouldn't be any quieter than some other case then, obviously.

There are multiple factors to take into account - the front intake fans do have to battle a fair amount of restriction because of the door, if you leave the HDD cages in there's more blockage there, but we also have the nice big 140mm bottom intake that is relatively open if you can route your PSU cables out of it's way.

Also - on a more personal note - I wonder if there's such a thing as too much positive pressure?

For example - I am considering the normal 2 front 120mm intakes, a 4 in 3 HDD to 5.25" bay adapter with another 120mm fan in the back, a 140mm bottom intake, and then a Corsair H60 on the rear exhaust with either a single 120mm fan or a push/pull if temps were high. I would rather not ever remove the top or side fan covers and I really wonder if all that intake could be pushed out through that 120mm exhaust and the vented expansion slot covers?

I really want to purchase this case because it's quiet, has a more subtle style, and has more room inside than your average midtower. I also like the Corsair brand and have had good luck with them in the past.

But if I'd be better off with something with more airflow I will have to go with another brand because I'm just not that into the other Corsair cases, at least not without a fair amount of modding.

I've gone through this whole thread (all 58 pages!) with much interest and appreciation for everyone that has contributed - and hope to be posting pics of one of my own if everything works out... and if you've read this far - thanks for letting me ramble!

Please don't say goodbye, we need to keep this thread alive. :p

So a friend of mine pointed out another fan option that really interested me. The beQuiet! Silent wings 2 that are unreal when it comes to noise and being that I am in europe I order 2x120 and 1x140. It took me forever to decide but hopefully this option is good 15db at max.

Please don't say goodbye, we need to keep this thread alive. :p

Oh, I'm not leaving ;)

I'm too interested in the case and this thread to do that - and it will most likely be a while before I make my final decision...

Oh, and Garen - I've seen those beQuiet Silent Wings 2 fans on the web - they sure look interesting.

Looking forward to reading your impressions!

I will go for the noctua fans even though after seeing those new corsair fans. Our country retailers only know noctua :(

The BeQuiet fans look great on paper and the few reviews out there say that they are great for case fans.Heatsinks and radiator are a no go with these though,so I am just going to keep my nf-f12 on my H60. Im so happy with how this build is going,pure silence! BeQuiet Silent Wing 2 specs:

Fan speed @ 12V (rpm) 1500
Air flow @ 12V (cfm, m3/h) 50.5 / 85.8
Air pressure @ 12V (mm H2O) 1.63
Noise level @ 12V (dB(A)) 15.7

daft question but how do you remove the bottom front stock fan please ?

I know you have to remove or move forward hdd cage - but my problem is that I can't seem to remove the bottom 2 screws .... you can undo them a few turns but then the screws buts up against the case ... so I can't see anyway you can remove the screw ... the part of the case blocking it seems to be fixed ...

re fans - I guessed for the fronts that you need to worry less about cfm (although higher the better) but really make sure you go for fans with decent static pressure as its very enclosed/tight

I've gone for 2xAP15s - speed reduced with 2 Noctua LNAs I had spare, the AP15s are 1850 - with LNA prob running 1200 or so

I believe that the screws holding the bottom hdd cage are at the back panel. The place where you can hide the wires.

See my Bitfenix Spectre Pro 200mm here. With the dust filter on you can barely see the central hub of the fan when there is no flash on it. I don't see any reason why a H100, 200mm side fan, and all your other hardware would not fit.

2012-03-28_15-12-09_41.jpg
2012-03-28_15-12-48_738.jpg

Hi night_2004,
I'm think you mentioned on earlier posts that you're using Corsair H60 or H70 mounted on the rear while also mounting a 200mm Bitfenix fan on the side panel.
I have some questions if you don't mind:
1. I have Thermaltake Water 2.0 Performer in push pull config with total length 75mm (25mm fan + 25 mm rad + 25mm fan). If I mount it at the rear and using regular sized 200 mm fan on the side, will they be blocking each other? will I be limited to use only that Bitfenix brand 200mm fan on the side or maybe just 140mm fan on the bottom part of side panel?
2. Should I decide to add fans on side panel and top panel, do I have to take the fan panel cover off? Or will the fan function well even with the fan panel cover on?

Thank you in advance :)

Does anybody know what the approx. clearance for a cpu cooler? I'm interested in the case to be used with a Phanteks cooler...which measure 171mm tall.

Thanks!

Does anybody know what the approx. clearance for a cpu cooler? I'm interested in the case to be used with a Phanteks cooler...which measure 171mm tall.

Thanks!

See this page for the best information on this question that I could find after browsing about a dozen reviews of the 550D:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1255-page4.html

I had remembered reading something about the release mechanism being pretty close to tall CPU coolers, so I kept looking until I found it!

This page is somewhat helpful, too:

http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/corsair_550d_review,8.html

Lastly, at the bottom of this page is a claim of 180mm clearance for the heat sink fan - but they don't mention physically checking this, so I doubt it:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/04/27/corsair-obsidian-550d-review/1

wow! i can't believe how huge this thread is! i just placed an order with newegg and i'm super excited. i also found the walkthru video on newegg's site very useful.

this case is going to replace my old cooler master cosmos 1000.

Hi night_2004,
I'm think you mentioned on earlier posts that you're using Corsair H60 or H70 mounted on the rear while also mounting a 200mm Bitfenix fan on the side panel.
I have some questions if you don't mind:
1. I have Thermaltake Water 2.0 Performer in push pull config with total length 75mm (25mm fan + 25 mm rad + 25mm fan). If I mount it at the rear and using regular sized 200 mm fan on the side, will they be blocking each other? will I be limited to use only that Bitfenix brand 200mm fan on the side or maybe just 140mm fan on the bottom part of side panel?
2. Should I decide to add fans on side panel and top panel, do I have to take the fan panel cover off? Or will the fan function well even with the fan panel cover on?

Thank you in advance :)

I'm using the H60 (27mm radiator thickness + 25mm push fan + 25mm pull fan). If you want to use a 200mm fan you pretty much have to use either the Bitfenix fan OR a 200mm fan with a mounting system similar to what you see on the Corsair fans. I also had to mount my H60's radiator in such a way that the water tubes feeding the radiator were at the top of the case otherwise the tubes would have been too close to the side fan for comfort. Mounting it in that orientation does not seem to negatively impact the cooling ability of the H60.

The nice thing with the Spectre Pro is that there are a few mounting locations because every hole in the fan's frame can hold a screw. If you look carefully at my photo you can see that I rotated my fan so that I'm using the "left" set of 200mm mounting holes. This was done because there is BARELY ANY clearance between the edge of the fan's frame and the push fan of my H60. There's maybe a few millimeters of clearance. Had I mounted my 200mm fan using the "center" set of 200mm mounting holes (where there would be a lot of plastic to the left of the top-left screw) there wasn't enough clearance to close the case up.

I don't think the fans really work with the covers on as those covers block too much air. You might get a whisper of air coming through but it certainly won't be a useful amount of flow. Take the covers off.

Hey guys. I have a Lian Li PC8F that I'm very happy with but this is a note about fan selection.

If you can, hold off on buying any replacement fans. Noctura is coming out with some really cool fans in just a few months:

http://www.noctua.at/pdf/noctua_computex_2012_press_kit.pdf

Not saying the Corsairs are bad (they aren't) but the new Noctura A series and F series (don't hold your breath on the active noisie reduction series) might be better.

Last edited:
I might get this case. Would anyone say it's better than HAFX?

I think you're comparing the wrong cases. The HAFX looks wide open for air cooling where as the 550D is more setup for quiet computing with the possibility of added cooling. Maybe look at the Corsair C70 or 600T instead?

With that said, after having my 550D setup for a while now I'll say that I'm mostly disappointed with this case. I wanted something quieter than the 650D that I got rid of, but instead I got something that is nearly as loud without cooling as well.

Does a radiator with dimensions 143 x 36 x 320 mm (WxDxH) fit in the top of the case?

I only read about 240 radiator support (this would be a 280 radiator).

PS: Sorry if the question was already answered. I didnt't read the whole thread (because of my poor english).

I'm using the H60 (27mm radiator thickness + 25mm push fan + 25mm pull fan). If you want to use a 200mm fan you pretty much have to use either the Bitfenix fan OR a 200mm fan with a mounting system similar to what you see on the Corsair fans. I also had to mount my H60's radiator in such a way that the water tubes feeding the radiator were at the top of the case otherwise the tubes would have been too close to the side fan for comfort. Mounting it in that orientation does not seem to negatively impact the cooling ability of the H60.

The nice thing with the Spectre Pro is that there are a few mounting locations because every hole in the fan's frame can hold a screw. If you look carefully at my photo you can see that I rotated my fan so that I'm using the "left" set of 200mm mounting holes. This was done because there is BARELY ANY clearance between the edge of the fan's frame and the push fan of my H60. There's maybe a few millimeters of clearance. Had I mounted my 200mm fan using the "center" set of 200mm mounting holes (where there would be a lot of plastic to the left of the top-left screw) there wasn't enough clearance to close the case up.

I don't think the fans really work with the covers on as those covers block too much air. You might get a whisper of air coming through but it certainly won't be a useful amount of flow. Take the covers off.

Thanks for the explanation, night_2004.
By any chance, did you ever try to mount Cooler Master Megaflow 200mm?
I'm wondering if that one will fit.
Also, with your setup, if you mount 2 x 140mm fan on the side panel, will the top fan also hit your H60's fan?

I think you're comparing the wrong cases. The HAFX looks wide open for air cooling where as the 550D is more setup for quiet computing with the possibility of added cooling. Maybe look at the Corsair C70 or 600T instead?

With that said, after having my 550D setup for a while now I'll say that I'm mostly disappointed with this case. I wanted something quieter than the 650D that I got rid of, but instead I got something that is nearly as loud without cooling as well.

Do you mind telling us how your setup is?
Maybe like what fans, what config, where you install them and whether you have the panel closed or open?

Do you mind telling us how your setup is?
Maybe like what fans, what config, where you install them and whether you have the panel closed or open?

Nothing super fancy.

3570k w/ H80
ASUS GTX570 DCII
2x WD Blacks
Corsair HX750

2x120mm undervolted Yate Loon front intakes (alum door closed, plastic cover off)
1x120mm undervolted Yate Loon bottom intake
H80 w/ GT-AP15s exhaust

Side and upper panels closed. For the exception of the CPU/mobo, everything else was transplanted from my 650D. Yate Loons getting replaced with Corsair SP120 Quiet's today. Not expecting a huge change noise wise, but I needed extra fans for a new project anyway.

Water coolers make your setup noisy. I think so :s

Yep, I tried out and eventually returned a Corsair H80 despite being warned on overclock.net that my Noctua DH-14 would be less noisy. The fans weren't the problem, it was the pump that was too loud even on the slowest setting.

Nothing super fancy.

3570k w/ H80
ASUS GTX570 DCII
2x WD Blacks
Corsair HX750

2x120mm undervolted Yate Loon front intakes (alum door closed, plastic cover off)
H80 w/ GT-AP15s exhaust

Side and upper panels closed. For the exception of the CPU/mobo, everything else was transplanted from my 650D. Yate Loons getting replaced with Corsair SP120 Quiet's today. Not expecting a huge change noise wise, but I needed extra fans for a new project anyway.

When it's done, mine is almost similar like yours except I'm going to use Thermaltake Water 2.0 Performer.
Reviews say that it's much more silent than Corsair's.
So let's see what happen.

Nothing super fancy.

3570k w/ H80
ASUS GTX570 DCII
2x WD Blacks
Corsair HX750

H80 w/ GT-AP15s exhaust

That should be pretty quiet, assuming the fans on the H80 are speed controlled by mobo/fan controller? At idle it should be near silent I would think. Kind of surprised it isn't quieter than your 650D.

I have my system setup now to stop all the fans except the CPU heatsink and rear exhaust (drops them to 450rpm) and then ramp up gradually based on temperature, so during load (which for me is gaming, and rarely encoding) I can hear the system, but sound is coming from the speakers/headphones anyway at that point.

I actually started pulling things out of my PC yesterday while I was replacing my intake fans and the H80 pump is the loudest component in my case. Might go ahead and purchase a fan controller w/ molex connects and throttle this thing down a bit to see if it helps.

Any suggestions? I saw the NZXT Mesh earlier in the thread, but I'm not against purchasing a more expensive panel that displays fan RPM/voltage.

I actually started pulling things out of my PC yesterday while I was replacing my intake fans and the H80 pump is the loudest component in my case. Might go ahead and purchase a fan controller w/ molex connects and throttle this thing down a bit to see if it helps.

About the H80 pump, thats strange. I run an H70 and I can not hear the pump at all (max RPM, plugged into a 3 pin fan header). Now, the stock fans however, theres another story. Very loud with no restrictor, and quite low on the medium setting restrictor. (not sure on the ultra low restrictor) But I can't hear the pump at all.

Is anybody running a XSPC rs240 in their 550d case? Trying to see if the case/mobo have enough clearance for the 35mm thick radiator. It is 10mm overall thicker than the H100.

So I finally moved my NH-D14 fans from the CPU headers to the CHA headers as they can control 3-pin fans (they were running 100%/1200rpm on the CPU headers).

I've now setup my case to stop all 4 case fans and both CPU fans when my CPU package temp is below 35C, and then ramp them all to 75% at 45C and 100% over 50C. Case is now near silent at idle, I can just barely hear my GTX 670 Windforce's fans spinning (~720rpm) and some random hard drive seeks now and then. I might put the CPU and rear exhaust to spin at 600rpm to keep some air moving since I can't hear it anyway as the case is under my desk and facing away from me.

Very happy.

So I finally moved my NH-D14 fans from the CPU headers to the CHA headers as they can control 3-pin fans (they were running 100%/1200rpm on the CPU headers).

I've now setup my case to stop all 4 case fans and both CPU fans when my CPU package temp is below 35C, and then ramp them all to 75% at 45C and 100% over 50C. Case is now near silent at idle, I can just barely hear my GTX 670 Windforce's fans spinning (~720rpm) and some random hard drive seeks now and then. I might put the CPU and rear exhaust to spin at 600rpm to keep some air moving since I can't hear it anyway as the case is under my desk and facing away from me.

Very happy.

Nicely done, sir!

I'm hoping to enable much better fan control on my next rig - need a more modern BIOS...

Very happy.

May I ask what do you use to setup those fans? Or is it controlled by your mobo's BIOS?
I'm using ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 and there is only one choice of setup each time.

May I ask what do you use to setup those fans? Or is it controlled by your mobo's BIOS?
I'm using ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 and there is only one choice of setup each time.

All the fans are plugged into headers on my motherboard in the following config:

2x CPU heatsink fan (3-pin) -> 3-pin Y-splitter -> MB header 1
Front two intakes (3-pin) -> 3-pin Y-splitter -> MB header 2
Bottom intake (PWM) -> MB header 3
Rear exhaust (3-pin) -> MB header 4

Then I use the Asus Ai Suite Fan Xpert 2 module to set a fan curve graph for each fan (bound to CPU temperature) which ramps up the fans quickly as temps rise, and then lets them slowly spin down after (to prevent rapid spin up/down which sounds annoying). The Fan Xpert 2 software is one of the main reasons I paid more for the P8Z77-V Pro instead of the Gigabyte UD5H or ASRock offerings.

I was letting all the fans full turn off when CPU temp is under 35C, but noticed the CPU and motherboard temperatures were slowly building up over time and wasn't comfortable with that. I now have the fans spin down to their minimums which is pretty much silent. The only slightly annoying thing is the stock 550D case fans only seem to provide a 1000rpm minimum according to Fan Xpert 2, while my CPU and PWM fan can go down to around 400rpm which is truly silent. Might replace the stock 550D fans at some point if I get keen.

I'm hoping to enable much better fan control on my next rig - need a more modern BIOS...

I gave up trying to get my fan speeds under control with the UD3H UEFI so I opted for the NZXT Sentry Mesh. Amazingly quiet even with SLI and the added lower fan.

FVzZTl.jpg

Last edited:
I gave up trying to get my fan speeds under control with the UD3H UEFI so I opted for the NZXT Sentry Mesh. Amazingly quiet even with SLI and the added lower fan.

HCqqBl.jpg

At last! :p

Someone with SLI Nvidia cards in the 550D...

Very nice setup.

If you would be so kind as to let me know which model GPU you have, how the temps are under load, if you ever cover the side or top fan openings, etc.

Also - when you say it's quiet - is that with those covers on or off?

I've been trying to pick a case - just want to move what I have over but I'm willing to buy all new fans. As I'm sorta a Corsair guy I'd really like to get one of their cases and I would love to quiet my rig down as well. I'm just worried about heat - I'd like to be able to O/C my GPUs someday.

I'd remove the lower drive cage to get more airflow - my drives would go in the 5.25 bays using adaptors. I'd get Corsair fans just as you did, the same amount of them except I'd have 2xSP120mm on my H60 radiator exhausting out the rear.

I'd like to keep the covers on to quiet the system down, but I suppose if yours is quiet with the panels removed (under load) I could take them off - I just don't particularly care for the appearance that way.

I'm pretty sure my GTX580s will be spaced one more slot further apart on my mobo, too. I can't do that right now because I only have 7 expansion slots!

My motherboard is somewhat annoying because it's 16x, 8x, 4x, 8x - so mine are jammed right next to each other at the moment. I could use the bottom 8x if I had the room.

Any help would be appreciated...

Last edited:
At last! :p

Someone with SLI Nvidia cards in the 550D...

Very nice setup.

If you would be so kind as to let me know which model GPU you have, how the temps are under load, if you ever cover the side or top fan openings, etc.

Also - when you say it's quiet - is that with those covers on or off?

I've been trying to pick a case - just want to move what I have over but I'm willing to buy all new fans. As I'm sorta a Corsair guy I'd really like to get one of their cases and I would love to quiet my rig down as well. I'm just worried about heat - I'd like to be able to O/C my GPUs someday.

I'd remove the lower drive cage to get more airflow - my drives would go in the 5.25 bays using adaptors. I'd get Corsair fans just as you did, the same amount of them except I'd have 2xSP120mm on my H60 radiator exhausting out the rear.

I'd like to keep the covers on to quiet the system down, but I suppose if yours is quiet with the panels removed (under load) I could take them off - I just don't particularly care for the appearance that way.

I'm pretty sure my GTX580s will be spaced one more slot further apart on my mobo, too. I can't do that right now because I only have 7 expansion slots!

My motherboard is somewhat annoying because it's 16x, 8x, 4x, 8x - so mine are jammed right next to each other at the moment. I could use the bottom 8x if I had the room.

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks! GPU model is 02G-P4-2684-KR. When I say quiet, I mean at idle/desktop with all covers on. The only things that are audible are the GPU fans and occasionaly HDD seek so it's pretty silent. Obviously when gaming the system gets noticeably louder, but that's what headphones are for :)

If I were overclocking as you're considering though then I'd pop the side panel off and definitely install another fan. My GPU temps reach 86C/91C during Furmark burn-in with all covers on and fans full speed in a 77F room. Of course this kills the look of the 550D and it certainly won't be as quiet, but a 200mm fan like night_2004 installed would probably do the trick.

Is anybody running a XSPC rs240 in their 550d case? Trying to see if the case/mobo have enough clearance for the 35mm thick radiator. It is 10mm overall thicker than the H100.

I'm not sure with that rad but just fyi, go look at Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme spec. It has 38.3mm thick rad and it won't fit inside this case with a 25mm fan on push/pull setup. I measured it with my ASRock Z77 Extreme4. As you can see at Vortez review's photo of this case, the top clearance is about 55mm.
Unless you're putting rad only inside and put the fans on top of the case for pull setup, it might be doable.
Corsair seems to design this case to fit their H100 only. I'm a little bit upset, knowing this after getting the case. So I decided to stay with Thermaltake Water 2.0 Performer. Surprisingly it's pretty good to cool down my OC'ed i5-3570K. Averaged 20C cooler than intel stock cooler.

Back