Couldn't resist temptation, had to do it

coolie_d

2[H]4U
had no intentions of OCing anything in my crappy spare PC in the basement since it's based on an old Intel D815EEA mobo with no options in the BIOS to OC, or jumpers..... but I got ahold of an old Sapphire Radeon 9600np (324core,200mem) 128mb with passive cooling..... so, like any norman human being would do, I immediately popped the heatsink off and applied a neat layer of AS5, reinstalled, and mounted a fan on the heatsink.... ran ATI tool, set the core to 475 and the memory to 250, runs like a charm..... Aquamark3 goes from 16,000 stock to 22,000 which seems good for a P3 1GHz machine...... no 5mhz incremental OCing for me, I figured if I f'd the card up, it was no huge loss, got a spare Voodoo3 I could always pop in here, or my TNT2 m64 :eek:

edited and flashed the BIOS, now i've got something sort of in between a 9600pro and 9600XT..... except for the crappy TSOP ram, can't get it to clock any higher

You're DAMN lucky that card is not locking up...
9600 series was a very bad series for locking up, I have seen lots of mods out there for extra power, nicest one is the power connector.

Borgschulze said:
You're DAMN lucky that card is not locking up...
9600 series was a very bad series for locking up, I have seen lots of mods out there for extra power, nicest one is the power connector.

The core is iffy and depends. Some get rediculous overclocks, some get minute.

but the ram is very bitchy since its running almost at max as is.

but I had the damn thing looping '05 earlier for like 3 hours, and not even a hint of a problem..... only 1290 3Dmarks though :rolleyes: does lock up if I try to hit 500 though, 485 works, but I figure, why push my luck? Ram is supposedly rated to 250mhz, so I had a little headroom with that...... actually had that at 275, but again, why push my luck? Borgschulze, my card has solder pads for a power connector (floppy style) but none is present, do you think the traces are there? I suppose I could add one.....

coolie_d said:
but I had the damn thing looping '05 earlier for like 3 hours, and not even a hint of a problem..... only 1290 3Dmarks though :rolleyes: does lock up if I try to hit 500 though, 485 works, but I figure, why push my luck? Ram is supposedly rated to 250mhz, so I had a little headroom with that...... actually had that at 275, but again, why push my luck? Borgschulze, my card has solder pads for a power connector (floppy style) but none is present, do you think the traces are there? I suppose I could add one.....
Heh..thats funny. We were talking about ocing my FX5200 just a few hours ago.

yeah, I just posted something else in that thread, something to the effect of once you get your new gear, strap a bunch of fans to the thing, voltmod it, and OC the crap outta it....

coolie_d said:
yeah, I just posted something else in that thread, something to the effect of once you get your new gear, strap a bunch of fans to the thing, voltmod it, and OC the crap outta it....
http://unoid.net/9600pro/power.html
:cool:
Too bad he does not update that page anymore, I like it.

Personally I just sold a Powercolor 9600 Pro... 400/400 stock overclocked to about 420/440.
Worst overclocking piece of hardware I have ever owned.

yeah, I don't know if that would work with mine, i'd have to look at the board, but mine is a non-pro, so not so sure if the board layout is the same.... mine has TSOP DDR modules, not the BGA type.... it is 128-bit though....

Try it :)
If it doesn't work it shouldn't hurt anything, as the power stops because lack of components.
But I am not paying for a new one..

you cant put the power connector on there, dont try it... only the very early runs of the 9600 pro have the components on the board to allow the power connection, ATI removed all that stuff when people started doing that :p

lithium726 said:
you cant put the power connector on there, dont try it... only the very early runs of the 9600 pro have the components on the board to allow the power connection, ATI removed all that stuff when people started doing that :p
I wish they didn't, bad ones will lock up because of the lack of power going to the card..

coolie_d said:

Heh...I will. Im gonna stick a couple of Tornados in there. That should do the trick, eh?

before i added AS5 and a fan, the damn thing was still stable 450core/250mem, only improved my cooling 'cuz I was afraid to try any higher on passive.... BTW, tried 500core, 3dmark03 GT2 locked up on me......

Borgschulze said:
http://unoid.net/9600pro/power.html
:cool:
Too bad he does not update that page anymore, I like it.

Personally I just sold a Powercolor 9600 Pro... 400/400 stock overclocked to about 420/440.
Worst overclocking piece of hardware I have ever owned.

Wierd I had a Gigabyte 9600pro and that overclocked like crazy...can't remember the mem speeds but I had core from stock 400 running at 510 WITH stock fan :D I loved that card :D

it's likely that ATI is not speed binning their cores, as long as it runs well at stock for it's class, ie. non-pro, pro, XT; and only if the core fails at that speed is it binned into the next lower class..... or discarded if it can't even meet the lowest common denominator (or is that why SE cards were invented? *LOL*)...... it would cost too much money and manpower to test each core and make sure it was only capable of hitting non-pro speeds, they'd rather "accidently" put a pro capable core on a non-pro..... if you get what I am saying it should make sense....

Back