CPU at 100% streaming video

My problem began recently when I upgraded to a LG 22" monitor (bought from reviews read here). I enjoy streaming my tv programing online from various network pages (ABC LOST etc.), since I have upgraded to a larger better monitor my CPU is unable to keep up with the demand in full screen mode. Even at the smaller scale at standard def my CPU runs at 100%.

MSI MPC 800K Mobo/Case
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Socket 754 2.2GHz
OCZ platinum memory 2G
PNY GeForce 5700LE Personal Cinema video card.
Windows XP Pro

Anything that can be upgraded without trashing the whole system? I considered upgrading to a better Mobo and case but was unable to locate 754 boards of any quality anymore would a better video card be of any help? I really prefer the SFF computer systems and know the expandability is severely limited with them. The video stream is coded through adobe flash player.

Thank You for any advise.

you might need to upgrade the video card. I say might because if your proicessor is at 100 percent due to you streaming video ther could be a few other problems. I would definently make sure you have a good antivirus untility running and do a full sweep of the system. sometime when my computer is running really slow I would reinstall windows. Yes you need to do that sometime. Just save all your important info on a disk or 2 and do a complete reinstall. You will also need to make sure you have al the disks for your software. thats what I would do. I seriously doubt streaming a video would max pout your processor without there being some other (virus probably) problems. hope this helps.

Don't feel like and don't want to do any research behind your hardware but it's probable that 1) your video card does not support decoding your video formats, whatever they are since you didn't mention anything regarding, and 2) your CPU is inadequate to deal with handling your video, 3) your video format and decoder is inefficient.

CRLane:

I am running Avast Anti virus and it did pick up one alert during my most recent scan but didn't seem to make a difference. I picked up a 256MB XFX 7600GT from a friend I will try and then I guess I move on to formatting my hard drive and re-installing XP.

Don't feel like and don't want to do any research behind your hardware but it's probable that 1) your video card does not support decoding your video formats, whatever they are since you didn't mention anything regarding, and 2) your CPU is inadequate to deal with handling your video, 3) your video format and decoder is inefficient.

1) Video is streamed through Adobe Flash player
2) I am stuck with this CPU unless I upgrade the entire system. Currently out of my budget. Does it really require more than a 2.2GHz single core processor to stream at a decent resolution?
3) Video format or decoder is not chosen by me.

If I can manage another 6 mos of real use out of this system I would be thrilled, most of it is not really that old but was not top of the line when purchased.

Since you already mentioned that your CPU jumps to 100% when streaming even without fullscreen, there's no cure to it. You can try overclocking it but until you upgrade, you're stuck with choppy frames.

your other option would be to try out another flash installation besides adobe's offering, I think there is some opensource thing floating around. but yeah your cpu is limiting you for those resolutions.

another option is decreasing your screen resolution, that'll let you get fullscreen without taxing your cpu as hard

That's ridiculous though. He has a 2.2 GHz single core proc. And soon a 256MB XFX 7600GT; there's no reason his comp shouldn't be bending the video over backwards.

That's ridiculous though. He has a 2.2 GHz single core proc. And soon a 256MB XFX 7600GT; there's no reason his comp shouldn't be bend the video over backwards.

Yeah there is. It's a terribly difficult format that's taxing on the CPU. HTPCs doing HD output have some strict CPU recommendations if the user isn't getting hardware assist

I can play a stream through adobe flash player with a 1ghz athlon on a 24" screen, admitedly I do have a 6800GT with it which helps alot but I can't see how a 2.2Ghz cpu would struggle with the 7600GT. The 5700LE is a very old card now, so I would swap the graphics cards over first. If not look for a different codec to the one you are using. Im not sure if the adobe one for windows is the same as for linux but im having no issues in debian.

I can play a stream through adobe flash player with a 1ghz athlon on a 24" screen, admitedly I do have a 6800GT with it which helps alot but I can't see how a 2.2Ghz cpu would struggle with the 7600GT. The 5700LE is a very old card now, so I would swap the graphics cards over first. If not look for a different codec to the one you are using. Im not sure if the adobe one for windows is the same as for linux but im having no issues in debian.

If you would or could please give Lost (or anything) a try on ABC's website.

Someone mentioned Overclocking, I am not sure that my board has that option. Its an MSI MPc 800k SFF combo case/mobo/power supply. I know my other hardware is commonly overclocked not sure on my board.

If you would or could please give Lost (or anything) a try on ABC's website.

Someone mentioned Overclocking, I am not sure that my board has that option. Its an MSI MPc 800k SFF combo case/mobo/power supply. I know my other hardware is commonly overclocked not sure on my board.

I watch several shows on ABC's website with the laptop in my sig. It's not nearly as powerful as yours, and the videos can be easily watched.

My CPU usage is anywhere from 80-100% while watching, and it's hard to do anything with the videos playing in the background, but it is easily watchable as long as I use the standard def videos.

EDIT: I just saw that I don't have resolution/video card info in my sig. It's got an ATI Radeon Xpress 200M running at 1280x768.

Back