CPU Identitifcation help.

nitefallz

2[H]4U
How exactly can I confirm that I have the right processor, 100% no questions asked?

I purchase an AMD 2500 XP 333FSB Barton Core. It will not run at the 333 speed when I set the FSB to 166. When the boot up with default bios settings(FSB 100mhz) the POST screen says AMD 1100 mhz. And any other diagnostic tools, even the AMD CPUID program will say that. When I adjust the FSB to around 150 or so, the POST and diag. progs will list it as Athlon XP 1900+.

What markings on the actual chip can I look for, and what can I compare them to so I can identitfy this as the right processor?

Just some more info.

Motherboard: MSI KT4AV-L motherboard, Chipset VIA KT400. Supports the 166 FSB.

Ram: Corsair XMS PC3200(DDR400) 512mb.

Some people have suspected power problems not enough from my PSU. It's an Antec 300w.

Now, MSI says they won't guarantee the system will work at 166FSB with DDR400 ram, but it should at higher/lower speeds. Lots of people said I should've been able to just OC right out of the box to 200mhz FSB, that isn't working either.

I think the board is the problem but I'm not positive, I have an ABIT KD7 or something on the way. But I want to verify the CPU because Newegg said I only had like 3/5 days to return it for any reason(OEM).

Well usually many mobos recognize the 2500+ as 1.1ghz (100x11) for safety reasons. Many people just adjust the FSB to 166 to make it run as rated. I don't know why it resets to 100mhz even when you increase it to 166mhz. Try using cpuid to identify your cpu.

Back