CPU Temps

As none of us here are very psychic...

What kind of processor and heatsink? What's it clocked at and how much voltage?

My guess would be, with roughly 3-4 case fans in a closed case with the stock HSF, probably between 30-35*C idle and abtou 45-45*C load.

I don't have a X2 4400+ so I don't know for sure, this is just an educated guess.

Depending on your case cooling, I'd venture to say that between 28-38C idle and 42-56C full load (both cores at 100%) would be pretty decent.

What are you getting?

Well, I'm just running FireFox and AIM, and it's sitting at around 41, so does that seem a bit high?

Maybe, but also what's the ambient temp? If you're blowing hot air on the chip... ;)

How do I find the ambient temp? Sorry, I'm new at this.

Is it the same as "System Temp"? That's at 39.

I mean temp in your room and your case. Usually we can guess from your approximate room temperature...unless your case is really stuffed up and is anti-air-flow.

..but what's your load temp? I think that one is the more important because it's more likely to break the 60/70C threshold. Also, it gives us an idea of the difference between your idle and load temps. Ideally, you want to keep that difference small, it's one of the ways to break stuff.

I suppose "System Temp" is close enough though. If that's true, then your chip seems fine at idle.

if you have a motherboard monitor open that up and it should display the cpu temp...then run two instances of prime for about 5-10 mins and see the max temps WHILST in 2 instances of prime...

if you dont have a motherboard monitor you could use ati tray tools which will provide a lovely graph with all the other temps but if you dont have that card you could download other programmes (my mind has just gone blank :( )sry for being vague

hope this helps :) and if i were you id try to keep my temps under 50...55 is the maximum but the chips can go to 65 i believe and after that they begin to loose their lifespan slightly :(

My mobo (asus) came with AiBooster which displays CPU temp, System temp, voltages, etc and also lets me overclock. I also have Everest which is giving me CPU temp and GPU temp.

What's prime? :confused:

DeadlyAura said:
My guess would be, with roughly 3-4 case fans in a closed case with the stock HSF, probably between 30-35*C idle and abtou 45-45*C load.

I don't have a X2 4400+ so I don't know for sure, this is just an educated guess.

My Opteron 175 runs at 38 degrees Celsius idle and about 45-50 Load in closed case with two 120 mm slow speed fans.

The X2 4400 is the same CPU, so I'd expect about the same.

My case has four 80mm fans. One in back (air out), two in front (both in) and one on top (out).

mocs2782 said:
My case has four 80mm fans. One in back (air out), two in front (both in) and one on top (out).

prime is a way of stressing the cpu to 100% which raises the temperature to its maximum over a period of time...it helps to measure a systems stability...search for it in google...prime95 download it twice and save it seperately and then run it twice, one to each core and run them simultaneously...run for about 10 mins and with Aibooster check what youre temps are...if its over 60 then id advise to stop immediately...

and how lon have you had your computer? if its been a fwe months i suggest you clean your fans and what cooling are you using for your cpu?

How do I choose which core to run it on?

I just got this computer working yesterday.

Stock HSF.

mocs2782 said:
How do I choose which core to run it on?

I just got this computer working yesterday.

Stock HSF.

get SP2004, it's simpler to use and lets you choose the affinity (which core it uses) built in. Otherwise, you can go to your task manager and right click the process and select affinity.

Alright, I got SP2004 and I'm running two at the same time, one for each core. How long do I run them?

I might open it up and see if there are any airflow restrictions etc.

Would you recommend a new/different HSF?

No, I'd say your stock X2 hsf is quite capable and adequate. The biggest concerns are ambient temp and case airflow.

You should run Prime for about 20-30 minutes for your cpu to get to peak load temp.

where did u hear of hardforum, look these questions up on google. not trying to be mean, but kill this post.

I heard of these forums from another forum that I frequent. I don't what people think of me, so no, I will not "kill this post."

Goreds11 said:
where did u hear of hardforum, look these questions up on google. not trying to be mean, but kill this post.

You don't call somone a n00bie if you too are a n00bie. Good job.

Anyways, I would rather this guy be asking dumb questions than be frying his chip. It's not my money if he does but I expect people to answer questions when I ask them. If you aren't going to contribute to the thread, don't post in it.

For an X2 4400+ this seems a little high. I would expect to be around 35*C. But, it depends on the ambient temperature. Get a thermometer and put it in your room right near your PC. When you get the reading post it. That would help to better determine the cause of the higher temps. 41*C is not bad, it just isn't ideal. However, if your load temps are around 55*C you will be fine. Any higher than that and I would look into better case ventilation.

If you are worried about the temps, re-arrange your case. Make sure the air can flow freely without blockage. And also make sure there is a good intake-exhaust ratio. Usually you want them to be about even.

EDIT: The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked. If you don't know something ask it. It's better to know than to break something.

Thank's for the help.

Tomorrow I will open it up and try to see if I can get some better airflow; my PSU has some extra cables that may be in the way. :)

See if you can tuck them behind the motherboard tray. Thats where mine are.

What you can do is tuck all the wires behind the tray and just let the connectors come out where the drives need to be plugged in. Do the same with the IDE's and SATA's. Since everything is flat, it tucks behind nicely. It's even better if you have a removable tray. (Which I don't have but would definately prefer. :) ).

Back