Cracking sound with Auzentech Prelude

VE2007

Gawd
I have bought the Auzentech Prelude 7.1 sound card and it is setup in
digital mode but when I play games it works perfect but when I use my headphones (Audio Technica A700) there's a lot of cracking noises
I have the lastest drivers the RC5-1 and running vista 64bit

What is causing this?:confused:

Try a different PCI slot. Try flashing your BIOS (yes, it can help). Make sure your PCI bus isn't overclocked and you can try raising your PCI latency setting by a step. Set it (the latency setting) back if that doesn't help.

Try this

prel6.jpg

also see:-

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1032377510&postcount=35

HEADRAT

I have a similar problem except the crackling is only in XP and only on the two right speakers in my 5.1 Setup (connected via optical out to decoder). There are no problems at all in Vista x64 (running dual boot), only XP and only when using my 5.1 speakers. The problem persists if different speakers are plugged into either of the two right speaker ports on the decoder.

I've been playing with Windows settings and Auzen software settings for hours and can't figure out why there would be crackling when using one OS but not the other. It's driving me nuts.

I don't see how it could be a hardware issue since it's peachy keen in one OS but not in another. It's got to be either a driver problem or a setting somewhere. I wouldn't even bother booting into XP if GameFly or PeerGuardian worked in Vista64, but since they don't I have to switch off occasionally. It'd be nice if I could so much as listen to music without hearing the sound of frying bacon from my right side.

I don't see how it could be a hardware issue since it's peachy keen in one OS but not in another. It's got to be either a driver problem or a setting somewhere. I wouldn't even bother booting into XP if GameFly or PeerGuardian worked in Vista64, but since they don't I have to switch off occasionally. It'd be nice if I could so much as listen to music without hearing the sound of frying bacon from my right side.

Microsoft destroyed the sound engine in Vista...from a hardware mixer in XP to a CPU based software mixer...

My motherboard is EVGA 790i Ultra

I think I solved it I used optical cables and now cracking sound is gone.

Opitcal eh? What are you using to decode the signal? Makes sense that you don't hear any crackling, because the digital to analog conversion is no longer being done by the prelude. The crackling still exists I'm guessing, but when you're using analog.

How was it setup before? You said you were using "digital mode", but what do you mean by that? When I see that, it means you're either outputting digitally (der) to an external DAC that does the sound processing, that then feeds an amp / your headphones. Or you meant you had Dolby Digital Live encoding enabled. In order to use DDL, you have to hook up a digital cable, either coax, or optical (toslink) to the digital out on the card, and then connect the other end to a receiver that's capable of decoding dolby. Or speakers like the ones I have, the Logitech z5500.

So how exactly do you have it setup atm? You are using optical cables.. but where do they connect to.. a receiver? Then you have your headphones plugged into the receiver?

Reason I ask this, is because if you ever want to use analog (which is ideal for games when using an x-fi capable card), you'd probably want to fix the crackling still.

I had crackling going on in vista x64, 4GB of ram, for quite a long time. I had an x-fi platinum I was using that suffered from it, and I figured it was the card, so I got the prelude which I'm now using. But it also had the same problem. I tried every fix I could find, multiple reinstalls, OS reinstalls etc, nothing.

THEN I finally reinstalled vista one last time, but before I did, I changed the SATA HD bios setting from IDE mode, to RAID (RAID or AHCI), and reinstalled. Got everything up and running, and installed the soundcard drivers, and to my amazement, NO CRACKLING. None.

I found a thread in some obscure place mentioning IDE mode causing problems in vista x64 with soundcards, but I don't remember where anymore. Important thing is, it worke.

So obviously, I'd suggest doing that, that is, if you didn't already install vista in RAID or AHCI. Remember! You can't change the mode and expect to not have to reinstall, vista will not load At least thats what happened to me. It won't kill your install if you do that, but you have to change it back to IDE if you want to get back in.

My 2 (long) cents. Hope it helps. The prelude is awesome and so is vista x64 + 4GB :p

The popping and crackling is caused by too much latency on the video card and/or too little latency on the sound card. The problem is finding a way to fix that in software if your motherboard doesn't have settings for this. I've given up on mine. Also Nvidia mobos have gotten a bad rap for this but I've found that the newer Intel (x38/x48) boards are just as bad.

I forgot to mention that I am using raid mode (installed Vista that way) and I still have the same problems with popping and crackling.

I'd love to hear more about this issue.

I have the Prelude hooked up to some z-5500 and I hear stuttering when only using an optical cable with Dolby digital turned on. In analogue, everything sounds fine.

This is in a Raid 0 Intel setup using an Asus Maximus Board and 8800GTS.

I heard about the Intel Raid driver being an issue, but I can't change it without a complete reinstall.

Opitcal eh? What are you using to decode the signal? Makes sense that you don't hear any crackling, because the digital to analog conversion is no longer being done by the prelude. The crackling still exists I'm guessing, but when you're using analog.

How was it setup before? You said you were using "digital mode", but what do you mean by that? When I see that, it means you're either outputting digitally (der) to an external DAC that does the sound processing, that then feeds an amp / your headphones. Or you meant you had Dolby Digital Live encoding enabled. In order to use DDL, you have to hook up a digital cable, either coax, or optical (toslink) to the digital out on the card, and then connect the other end to a receiver that's capable of decoding dolby. Or speakers like the ones I have, the Logitech z5500.

So how exactly do you have it setup atm? You are using optical cables.. but where do they connect to.. a receiver? Then you have your headphones plugged into the receiver?

Reason I ask this, is because if you ever want to use analog (which is ideal for games when using an x-fi capable card), you'd probably want to fix the crackling still.

I had crackling going on in vista x64, 4GB of ram, for quite a long time. I had an x-fi platinum I was using that suffered from it, and I figured it was the card, so I got the prelude which I'm now using. But it also had the same problem. I tried every fix I could find, multiple reinstalls, OS reinstalls etc, nothing.

THEN I finally reinstalled vista one last time, but before I did, I changed the SATA HD bios setting from IDE mode, to RAID (RAID or AHCI), and reinstalled. Got everything up and running, and installed the soundcard drivers, and to my amazement, NO CRACKLING. None.

I found a thread in some obscure place mentioning IDE mode causing problems in vista x64 with soundcards, but I don't remember where anymore. Important thing is, it worke.

So obviously, I'd suggest doing that, that is, if you didn't already install vista in RAID or AHCI. Remember! You can't change the mode and expect to not have to reinstall, vista will not load At least thats what happened to me. It won't kill your install if you do that, but you have to change it back to IDE if you want to get back in.

My 2 (long) cents. Hope it helps. The prelude is awesome and so is vista x64 + 4GB :p

I have the Auzentech Prelude hooked up to my Logitech 680 speakers and I hear cracking and stuttering when I only be using an digital cable . I have Dolby digital turned on.
I have one cable that goes in the back of my soundcard to the Digital Sound Touch control centre
I have two cables one digital and one analogue which ever I like to use.
Plus I have Windows vista 64bit with service pack 1 with 4 gb of ram..

Back