Crashing system research...

Phixzet

Limp Gawd
I'm a little bewildered.

My SSD temps seem to be causing instability. At reasonable case fan speeds, it seems to be related to my video card putting out heat nearby. Setting a manual GPU fan speed seems to help quite a bit. (I have 3 case fans and 2 AIO fans, so I'm not yet sure there is NOT a problem in my SSD and it's controller moving data around causing overheating)

However this morning upon waking my computer was frozen. I rebooted, and got a BSOD. (Neither dump file seemed to be saved) I reviewed my HWINFO log and saw that my SSD temp did indeed go up substantially just as I was turning on my monitor (waking the video card output may have been the final straw)

The issue is that my video card is limited to 180w right now. And with my fan speed that generally has been good enough to keep the GPU (only) mining in a safe place for my SSD.

So AM is running all night. But between the hours of 3:20 AM and 6:40AM, my GPU load is minumum. At 6:40AM it goes up to 100%. In my AM log, offset by 3 hours (12:20AM) (assuming different timezone implementations of the two loggers):

process not running. Too many restarts...

So that's what is causing my AP process to shut down, that's fine - I can accept something went awry.

But the issue is that at 6:40AM my GPU processor load surges. No AM log activity after that suggesting why.

So forgive me for the long story, but context sometimes is relevant...

I searched for any spyware, virus's, etc... Nothing.

Can anyone suggest a next step? Is there a great process logging utility I could use to log to disk what's going on at the wee hours of the night? I plan to reboot, and have a completely clean system (no browsers, etc...) Just AM and HWINFO tonight, to see what happens.

Last time I was at Microcenter, I seen two big cardboard boxes loaded to the brim with 250GB
spinning rust for $9.99 a pop. Refurbed WinnDixie 7200rpm rust mind you... Now not sayin to
abandon your SSD boot drive. But consider moving your swapfile and temp directories.

Thanks. My case doesn't support a spinning HD at this point, so I'd have to get a non-NVME SSD. I assume that with the larger size, having an integral "heat sink" that is the case... That it would likely handle the task easily.

That said right now my two case fans are at max - one pointed down from the top of the case, blowing air directly in the direction of the SSD (asus zenith extreme MB if you want to see the arrangement of the DIMM.2 wrt the top of the case)

Write rate is averaging 0.835MB/s... And the drive temp is at 66C.

I still think that's really high. Oh and I have two other case fans blowing cold air in. One at the bottom of the case, and one at the top rear.

I just don't know if the SSD is damaged and that's why it's temps are a lot higher than I'd expect. Room temp is probably 75F right now. So warm but not super hot.

Back