CRT extinction...

GN85

Limp Gawd
I don't know about you guys, but I'm not a big fan of CLDs; burnt pixels, plastic, fragile... that's not my kind of monitor. I prefer the 65 pound box with a quarter inch thick glass screen that can sit on my desk reliably, collecting dust for the next 5-6 years. Power consumption? Who cares, where I live we get the cheapest electricity in the world.

But will they still be around in 5 years, or will LCDs completely replace them? It seems like it's already hard to get my hands on a high quality CRT right now, so they might just become an extinct specie in 5 years. :mad: Does NEC/Mitsu still produce the Diamondtron for example, or are these models discontinued?

I'm thinking of grabbing a high quality CRT, maybe something like this on ebay, and would like to know what's the age of a CRT that the brightness and color fading really starts to show? If I buy a 3 years old monitor would it still be good for another 4-5 years?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
CRT usually dies after 5 -6 years depending on the brand and how well you take care of it. All my ViewSonic CRT starting to go bad on me. Text starting to get blurry, and color is fading out. Yeah CRT is going to become exstint in the next 4 - 5 years. However, in the next 4 -5 years there will be LCD that going to run like CRT without the heavy weight and bulky of it. You can alway get on eBay though, but it won't last you long. :(

I don't consider an LCD a replacement to my CRT. I have a NEC/Mitsubishi SB 17" CRT and an ACER 24" LCD... I can't stand looking at the LCD display; sure it looked great next to other LCD screens, but when it's right next to my 5 year old CRT it pales in comparison. For the record, newegg does have some NEC/Mitsubishi in stock but I don't know if it's the model you're looking for (probably the BK).

OLEDs will hopefully be out soon (in sizes you can actually use), taking every advantage away from LCDs except luminescent lifespan.

Im with you guys on this one .. Ive got both sitting here and prefer using the CRT for just about everything now lol (Sony FW900 CRT & NEC 20WMGX2 LCD).

CRTs were definately pushed away to early.. Of course you can still get a good one if you look around.

Agreed ... CRTs rule

Congrats Mathesar! on buying the same NEC 20WMGMX2 as me!!!. I guess I havent been to the FW900 thread for a while. BTW any chance I can rent that C2 value calibrator for my FW900? :D

A couple years ago when my ancient NEC CRT died and I had to hasten off to Circuit City for an immediate replacement (had assignments due), I was dismayed by their lack of selection of CRTs, and LCDs were still hella 'spensive then. I ended up with an eMachines because I thought it looked better than anything else they had, it's been a decent monitor for me and is still going strong. :)

If you look hard enough, you might find some pretty good deals on CRT's. A friend of my neighbor resells computer equipment coming back from 2 and 3 year business leases. 3 years ago, I purchased a 22" Mitsu Diamondtron CRT from this guy for $20. It's huge, but it's also gorgeous. Playing games at 1280x960, 1280x1024 and 1600x1200 look fantastic on it and it's still going strong after 3 years. I actually use a Samsung 940B on my desk because I needed the room, but my son's using the Mitsu now and loves it. I may need to check with the guy and see if he has anymore large CRT's for sale... :D

That Mitsubishi/NEC diamondtron 19" tube is a total lemon.

I've had 3 of them, 1 NEC, and 2 Mitsubishi 19" 930SB's, and they all died, within 2 years, with very mild use.

The NEC refuses to come out of standby mode unless you give it a whack, or reboot the PC. The 2 mitsubishi's both died, one died after 2 weeks of use, the other died after 18 months and all it displays now is a horizontal line that is really bright.

I like CRT's, but the reliability on the 5-6 I've had have been pretty poor.

Oh and don't bother with NEC/Mitsubishi warranty. They will not cross ship. You have to buy a new monitor at their price of $500, ship your dead one (at your cost), and wait 6-8wks for a replacement, if they can't fix yours. The warranty is a total joke.

I was starting to think I was the only one who liked CRT's. Nice to find others who understand that newer does not always mean better. People are always surprised when they find out how much of a computer dork I am, yet I have no LCD monitors. I'm trying to educate them but it's slow going ;)

Some day maybe there'll be enough vocal people that Sony or some other CRT maker will realize that there's a niche market willing to pay top dollar for a 24" widescreen CRT again. I'd easily pay $1300 (its old retail price) for a brand new one today. Heck, I'd probably go signifigantly higher than that.

I have a hard time spending top-dollar on all my other equipment in order to get fast frame rates and high image quality. . . and then essentially wipe most of it out by connecting it to an LCD that will just wash out the colors, diminish shadow details, and otherwise just not get the job done as well as fifty year-old technology.

CRTs will not be around much longer.

SED technology is pretty much going to kill that market. SED can be described as a CRT on each pixel:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-conduction_electron-emitter_display
and here:
http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/08/sed-up-close-and-personal/

SED alone will cut down CRT's market penetration and then there are always improvements to LCD technology: http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2860

I really don't see a future for a CRT. Right now you can still make the case that CRTs are superior and they are, I'm not debating you, but soon enough this will no loger be the case.

SED technology is pretty much going to kill that market. SED can be described as a CRT on each pixel:
and here:

SED alone will cut down CRT's market penetration and then there are always improvements to LCD technology: http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2860

I really don't see a future for a CRT. Right now you can still make the case that CRTs are superior and they are, I'm not debating you, but soon enough this will no loger be the case.
The question most have about SED is will it ever go into mass-production, considering it's launch date has already been postponed once before (twice?).

Otherwise most CRT fans here consider SED a CRT offspring so i don't thing you'll have to sell anyone on it ;)

Yes, we're all waiting for SED. However, despite repeated claims that it will be cheap and plentiful, it keeps getting delayed, and delayed, and delayed. It's getting to the point where many fear that the developers may just pull the plug since it may no longer be able to compete in a non-discriminating market place against super-low priced, larger LCDs.

Of course, I've got my fingers crossed and I'm still looking for CRTs in the hopes of having their quality until something like SED comes along. But I'm starting to doubt that it ever will.

and here:

:eek: :rolleyes: We know what SED is. You don't have to tell us.
Look at how old that article is. We have been taunted with SED and OLED for how long? As far as we know both of them will take another ten years. That's why this thread is about CRT's. There is no alternative; last year, this year, next year, for who knows how long.

Note these bits from the wikiepedia entry:

In December 2006, Toshiba President and Chief Executive Atsutoshi Nishida said Toshiba is on track to mass-produce SED TV sets in cooperation with Canon by 2008. He said the company plans to start small-output production in the fall of 2007 [6], but that he does not believe the product, because of its expected high price, will not become commoditized as has happened to LCD TVs.
In other words: They will be very expensive.

But this seems even more ominous to me:

Canon is still planning a release of SED tvs in Japan during the 4th quarter of 2007, and will be 'reassessing' its future mass-production plans for SED panels.
So, putting on my pessimism hat: That sounds like they may not ever be released. And, if they are, they will be prohibitively expensive. And also keep in mind that we're still only talking about televisions. Nobody is yet talking about computer monitors. Boo! Though the distinction between TV and monitor is blurring.

Regardless, that endgadget article is form January of '06. It stated we'd see production units by the end of the year. Here we are in March '07 and we're being told that we should see production models by the end of the year. I'm detecting a pattern. A pattern that is rapidly leading me to conclude that we may never seen affordable SED at all.

Didn't Canon pull out of the SED/Toshiba alliance?
They bought Toshiba out to try to avoid a lawsuit where a 3rd company from whom they had licensed some technology was suing them for sharing that technology with Toshiba.

Yet another reason to be sad. :(

Though I read that Canon can still OEM the displays out to Toshiba and Toshiba can re-badge them. But the shame is that Canon has no experience in television manufacturing of any kind. So this could be a problem.

Didn't Canon pull out of the SED/Toshiba alliance?

No, Toshiba did...and now the company that originally licensed the technology to Canon is suing because they involved Toshiba without their consent. This combined with the fact that Canon has no history in the display business (which is why they got Toshiba onboard) doesn't bode well for SED monitors/tv's in your local Best Buy any time soon.;)

edit- I swear the post above wasn't there when I typed this! :p

Its a shame!but the CRT is going to go the same way the vinyl,cassette,vhs,and soon the CD did! Extinction for the most part.My advice to those who like them is to buy one now and hold on to it when the day the others you have are no more.

After CRTs go, desktop PCs will be next. Just like it's "cool" to have an LCD, it's also cool to have a laptop. Here at work we don't allow notebooks on the domain unless its the users only machine, we have about 20 users a month switching over from aving a desktop and a laptop to just having the crappy notebook because they want to be able to take their "data" home with them. Whatever, its just itunes and family photos anyway. Why our company allows people to install programs on their own machines is beyond me, but they treat them more as a perk of working here than an actual tool (or a network liability).

I almost bought a new LCD (HP LP2065) but couldn't drive myself to do it with all the comparisons everyone has made about the black levels, color saturation, etc.etc.

I think I will ride out my Viewsonic Graphic series CRT a while longer.

I can't believe no one has mentioned thin crt yet, is this died out before it got started?

http://gizmodo.com/archives/samsung-develops-thin-crt-television-024892.php

Looks like its going to the television market first, but it could be promising for the PC world as well.

Considering the article is from 2004 i would say its not going to happen. One of the big thing people forget about CRTs is they are really bad for the environment and have all sorts of rules for disposal. This is another huge driving factor in their decline and LCD's growth. The government is creating more and more rules about electronics and their make up in accordance to the environment and CRT's cant pass a lot of them.

I can't believe no one has mentioned thin crt yet, is this died out before it got started?

http://gizmodo.com/archives/samsung-develops-thin-crt-television-024892.php

Looks like its going to the television market first, but it could be promising for the PC world as well.
That's an old article.

Considering the article is from 2004 i would say its not going to happen. One of the big thing people forget about CRTs is they are really bad for the environment and have all sorts of rules for disposal. This is another huge driving factor in their decline and LCD's growth. The government is creating more and more rules about electronics and their make up in accordance to the environment and CRT's cant pass a lot of them.

But just because it's old doesn't mean the tech is dead.

These are now called SED TVs and I believe are still in R&D.

*update*

Found this

Tokyo, March 8, 2006 — Toshiba Corporation and Canon Inc. today announced that they will start the first stage of mass production of SED panels in July 2007 and launch SED TVs in the 4Q of calendar year 2007. SED, the Surface-conduction Electron-emitter Display, is a next-generation flat-panel display that offers excellent performance characteristics.

The market for flat-panel TVs is expected to see continued high growth within the overall television market, with demand receiving a significant impetus from the 2008 Beijing Olympics and from the global shift from analogue to digital broadcasting. Toshiba and Canon see the popularity of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games as an opportunity to strongly promote SED TVs.

Toshiba and Canon consider the launch of SED TVs to be a major industry milestone, a once-in-50-years historical turning point for the TV industry, comparable to the initial introduction of CRT television. The companies will maximize the technology's characteristics in order to resist commoditization and to establish SED TV as the technology of choice for high-definition, high-image-quality television viewing.

and this

http://www.sed-tv-reviews.com/

Well that's our whole point. It's not like we're a bunch of old farts who are pissed because they don't make VIC-20's and accoustical-coupler 75 baud modems anymore. We're not holding on to old tech for the sake of holding on to it.

I'm fine with using a non-CRT technology as long as it's actually better. But I think it's absolutely stupid to use a technology that costs more than, and isn't as good as, CRT. If they managed to improve LCD's to the point where they were a match for a CRT (a GOOD CRT. If it doesn't look like my NEC, I don't want it) I'd buy, but until then, I'll stick with my "dinosaur."

I think for a lot of people, it is size that matters. Who wants a 65 pound behemoth when you can get the same view space in a 10 pound package?

That is the only reason I got rid of mine. I had a Samsung SyncMaster CRT that I sold and replaced with a Samsung SyncMaster LCD of the same size.

I did so because it freed up a TON of desk space allowing me to have more room to work. At 1280x1024 and 75 Hertz, it runs great for me. My CRT ran at 1280x1024 at 85 hertz, but the 10 less doesn't make that much of a difference for me.

I think though that in 1-2 years, LCD's will out perform any CRT.

That's an old article.

But just because it's old doesn't mean the tech is dead.

These are now called SED TVs and I believe are still in R&D.

*update*

Found this

and this

http://www.sed-tv-reviews.com/
Did you totally miss a few posts above yours? Toshiba is out of the development now and Canon is facing a lawsuit from the company that owns the rights to the technology. *edit* just read the article you linked and it talks about the lawsuit..

I'm fine with using a non-CRT technology as long as it's actually better. But I think it's absolutely stupid to use a technology that costs more than, and isn't as good as, CRT. If they managed to improve LCD's to the point where they were a match for a CRT (a GOOD CRT. If it doesn't look like my NEC, I don't want it) I'd buy, but until then, I'll stick with my "dinosaur."

Have you checked out the Samsung XL20 LCD Monitor?

LED backlights are the tech that needs to integrate into LCDs before we see anything close to CRT black levels.

Have you checked out the Samsung XL20 LCD Monitor?

LED backlights are the tech that needs to integrate into LCDs before we see anything close to CRT black levels.

I've got the Samsung SyncMaster 930B. This monitor has some damn good black levels. The best I have seen on an LCD display. It isn't perfect, but it is damn near it.

I've got the Samsung SyncMaster 930B. This monitor has some damn good black levels. The best I have seen on an LCD display. It isn't perfect, but it is damn near it.

I dont think you understand what is measured when considering black level performance , the 930B is nowhere near a CRT in this area.

I dont think you understand what is measured when considering black level performance , the 930B is nowhere near a CRT in this area.

Not to mention the 930B has nothing to do with the XL20. He seems to be missing the point of this discussion

I think for a lot of people, it is size that matters. Who wants a 65 pound behemoth when you can get the same view space in a 10 pound package?
I do. Do you not realize there is more to a display then the size?
also, did you pick up and carry your CRT around the house daily for fun? why is it so important that it be lightweight? it just sits there.
That is the only reason I got rid of mine. I had a Samsung SyncMaster CRT that I sold and replaced with a Samsung SyncMaster LCD of the same size.
I did so because it freed up a TON of desk space allowing me to have more room to work. At 1280x1024 and 75 Hertz, it runs great for me.
Great. Super. Good for you. But that has nothing to do with the point of this thread.
(OT: you could have also bought a bigger desk. A crt only takes up what, 1x1 ft^2 of space?)

My CRT ran at 1280x1024 at 85 hertz, but the 10 less doesn't make that much of a difference for me.
This would be very easy if all that mattered was resolution and refresh rate. If you dont see the other differences between an LCD and a good CRT, then good for you.
I think though that in 1-2 years, LCD's will out perform any CRT.
I think you dont really know what you're talking about.

Speaking for myself, i have decided to hold onto my 22" CRT...i'll wait for it to die or explode or something FUBAR happens. Then i'll be forced to move to LCD.

Shing, this CRT should have at least 2 years left in it! :D
Man i think i was acting CRAZY thinking LCD would compete with my trusty Mitsubishi.

By the time it dies i'm sure LCD technology will evolve to the point whereby the equal or beat CRT image quality.

Back