Crucial M4 128GB SSD $159.99 Shipped @ Newegg

Tempted to buy 2 of them.... I have a 128gb OCZ SSD and it's about full. I know Newegg has a 240gb OCZ for $269 ($249 AMIR) + $30 gift card. Not sure which one to get.

I might have to pick one up. I've been using a old 1.0 TB WD Green drive for my O/S.

I dont understand how people can put thier OS/ Games on an SSD of this tiny size and make it work. my OS drive has 326 of 465 gigs used :eek:

I dont understand how people can put thier OS/ Games on an SSD of this tiny size and make it work. my OS drive has 326 of 465 gigs used :eek:

It's not that hard. I'm running a 64gb as my OS drive... but I'm thinking about getting a 128gb... 64 is a bit small. You just have to do a few things like disable hibernation and the page file... don't install stuff you hardly ever use on the SSD....keep your document folders on another drive.

It said that for a few minutes before it went live, but its live now. I just picked one up :)

haha, word. would jump on this but i still just dont need an SSD in the least and can wait for prices to drop more. great deal though.

I know this is kind of an elitist troll post, but I'll respond anyway in kind. Before I got my SSD last night, I had a 150GB Raptor that's now being used as fast secondary storage. The rest of my files are stored on this obscure thing called a file server. Also, I don't need 50 games installed at the same time in some kind of hoarding exercise. It's pointless and a waste of expensive flash memory when I only have enough free time to play 1 or 2 games tops. Finish game > Uninstall. You should try it sometime. It's a liberating and far less expensive lifestyle. :p

I know this is kind of an elitist troll post, but I'll respond anyway in kind. Before I got my SSD last night, I had a 150GB Raptor that's now being used as fast secondary storage. The rest of my files are stored on this obscure thing called a file server. Also, I don't need 50 games installed at the same time in some kind of hoarding exercise. It's pointless and a waste of expensive flash memory when I only have enough free time to play 1 or 2 games tops. Finish game > Uninstall. You should try it sometime. It's a liberating and far less expensive lifestyle. :p

It's a mindset problem, before SSD's for the technical space allowance got out of hand. My desktop has almost 6TB of HDD's. 2TB drives went for $130 last year. There was no reason to uninstall a game no matter how little you used it. Easier to just let them all collect up.

Raptor users are probably used to this. I have gone from a 32GB to a 72GB to a 150GB Raptor. I have been used to either redirecting or installing, or uninstalling programs on a regular basis.

But even for the uninitiated. There are some great programs, like Steam Mover. That are simple ways of taking a program installed on one drive and redirecting them to another driver without having to reinstall the application. Its a great way to clear up room as your system drives fill up, to moving them to a more archival location. So you can run those apps whenever you want, you just don't get the decreased load times. Its probably one of the least painless options. It also basically lets you keep those folders (so you don't have to re-download) if you decide to wipe and reload the OS. Again it works on pretty much all installable non-valve games and applications even if it was developed for Steam since you can't change install locations.

The true secret is to learn how to use a command called mklink (symbolic link) and only place the game you play the most on the drive.

It's a mindset problem, before SSD's for the technical space allowance got out of hand. My desktop has almost 6TB of HDD's. 2TB drives went for $130 last year. There was no reason to uninstall a game no matter how little you used it. Easier to just let them all collect up.

Raptor users are probably used to this. I have gone from a 32GB to a 72GB to a 150GB Raptor. I have been used to either redirecting or installing, or uninstalling programs on a regular basis.

Interesting observation. I think you're right on.

Wasnt intending on trolling anyone, Sorry.

Yes i could delete games/files that have become unused or games ive finished but i dont want to have to mess around with that or worry about making sure my drive isnt too full all the time. Im sure when SSD's of larger sizes become cheaper is when ill eventually get one.

I like the way i have my drives setup currently :
500 gig for windows/games
1tb Multimedia storage
1 tb hardly use any of this space, eventually will be an additional media drive
2 tb external Backup

Last edited:
Back