Crucial RealSSD C300

Or wait for the SF-2xxx drives to appear which--on paper--claim 500MB+/s read and write speads with the SATA6 interface.

They are faster than Sandforce in some stuff and slower in others. The SF-2000 should be faster all around but we won't see it for a while. Note that the 256GB C300 is faster than the 128GB.

For the price of one 128GB, you can get 2 G Skill Phoenix Pro 60GBs and RAID them which would be faster.

Also, if you RAID C300s, don't use one of the third party SATA3 6Gb/s controllers. They suck at RAID.

For the price of one 128GB, you can get 2 G Skill Phoenix Pro 60GBs and RAID them which would be faster.

Are these the drives with the 'special sauce' FW that has uncapped IOPS? Would they be in the same catagory as the Vertex2/Mushkin Callisto Deluxe?

They are better than Agility 2, but I'm not sure if they're the same performance as Vertex 2. They don't have the locked 10k IOPS that A2 has.

Edit: G Skill claims 50k so they should be the same as Vertex 2.

Last edited:
They are better than Agility 2, but I'm not sure if they're the same performance as Vertex 2. They don't have the locked 10k IOPS that A2 has.

Edit: G Skill claims 50k so they should be the same as Vertex 2.

And the Mushkin Callisto Deluxe i assume as well.

Er, the onboard ones suck. Of course you could go LSI or something and have good performance but those are expensive. I don't know why I phrased it so poorly.

The Marvell 6Gbps controller is 500MB/s PCIe x1 anyway; so not even full bandwidth. The RAID drivers are very bad yes, so either use them as normal controller without RAID or use 3Gbps chipset controller for RAID instead. Raiding two C300 in Intel 3Gbps is faster than putting those on the Marvell 6Gbps controller and use the Marvell RAID drivers.

Back