Current fastest SSD?

Fastest can mean a few different things when it comes to SSDs - sequential vs. random speeds, and reads vs. writes. But without getting into that, the fastest drives out right now are the SandForce based ones, i.e. the OCZ Vertex, Corsair Force, G.Skill Phoenix (and several others). They're probably the best all-around choice right now.

The Crucial C300 drives are are faster in some situations, but only if you get the bigger 256GB drive (more chips = more parallel access = more speed), which get pricey, and the speed boost is mostly in sequential reads.
The Intel drives are getting long in the tooth, and don't really keep up in benchmarks, but it's worth noting that the perceived speed of an SSD is all from the massive gain in random performance over a standard hard drive, you're much less likely to notice the differences between any two quality SSDs in moderate day-to-day use.

All of this is likely to change in the next few months, as SandForce and Intel are both bringing out new controllers and faster memory chips.

Only thing holding me back from SandForce are all the reliability complaints. You can't find reviews on any online retailer without numerous complaints of drive failure. Just waiting on discount Intels for now.

The Crucial C300 256GB is the fastest single commercial SATA2 drive in production for the general public.

ANY single commercial Intel-M G2 drive will pale in comparison.

Actually, the C300 is SATA 6 Gbps. Please do not use "SATA 3" since that is ambiguous.

But I think that OH meant that if the C300 is hooked up to a SATA 3 Gbps port, it will be faster than any other consumer SSD hooked up to a SATA 3 Gbps port. Which is true for most benchmarks, sequential and random reads and writes, assuming you are using realistic data and not a stream of zeros to run the tests.

But I think that OH meant that if the C300 is hooked up to a SATA 3 Gbps port, it will be faster than any other consumer SSD hooked up to a SATA 3 Gbps port.
Of course.

The Crucial can establish a SATA6 connection when required but I specially said SATA2 for a comparision.

Back