D-tek Fuzion and Swiftech MCW60 Lapping question

Hello everyone,

I read somewhere that while lapping my new D-tek Fuzion that I should take it apart first and lap it without the top part on. Does this make sense? I'd imagine that when fully built, stresses will be put on the block itself and thus cause some warping. Wouldn't I get a better result when lapping the block fully-built? I can always take the block apart and clean the manufacturing residues if that is a concern. The same question applies to my Swiftech MCW60 VGA block.

Note that I will be lapping the IHS on my Q6600 flat to eliminate any concavity.

Also, is it worthwhile to get the D-tek mounting kit, or is it easy enough to make my own backplate out of Plexiglases? Right now I am using the stock Intel cooler, which did not come with a backplate.

IF screwing the top of the block down does put a enough stress to warp the block ,then you must have it on when you lap the block or the block will not be flat. It the same reasoning that they use when boring and honing a engine. They bolt and torque down a torque plate to the top of the cyl. block to stress the block so the cyl. are round and the correct size when you bolt and torque the cyl. heads down.

Back