Dark Souls is on Steam

And the excuses already rolling in that would label any other game by any other publisher utter shit. I like it.

If it was a 9.5 game on console, why would it being better on PC be worse?

The game and assets were clearly designed to run on consoles, and we asked for them to port it to PC. It would be nice if they would have updated assets and optimized the engine for PC and postprocessing effects, but the dev wasn't given the budget or time to do that.

The argument that you could just buy it for PS3 or xbox instead would be silly. The PC version will play smoother, look better, have more content and cost less.

I don't understand why some people want to give Dark Souls a pass while killing other developers who would dare release a straight console port...this is literally the most straight up port I've ever seen...nothing at all was optimized for PC, not even the textures etc...just be happy that the game was ported over at all is what some people seem to be saying

I don't understand why some people want to give Dark Souls a pass while killing other developers who would dare release a straight console port...this is literally the most straight up port I've ever seen...nothing at all was optimized for PC, not even the textures etc...just be happy that the game was ported over at all is what some people seem to be saying

How about you read the thread

FFVII gets a pass, too. It will get a pass when the re-release hits later this year again.

If Dark Souls had been developed for all three platforms at the same time, it wouldn't get a pass.

FFVII gets a pass, too. It will get a pass when the re-release hits later this year again.

If Dark Souls had been developed for all three platforms at the same time, it wouldn't get a pass.

So it took them a few months to make what looks like a really shitty port? Well done.

Who cares if they said PC was getting shit, does that make it better? Is it better if I tell someone I will punch them in the face than if I don't?

It's called being pragmatic. The PC version of DS was not developed alongside the console versions nor was a PC version planned. You can't compare this situation 'Apples to Apples' with most other PC ports.

So it took them a few months to make what looks like a really shitty port? Well done.

Who cares if they said PC was getting shit, does that make it better? Is it better if I tell someone I will punch them in the face than if I don't?

Do you not understand how software development works?

It takes a lot of work to port a game. It's not just about flipping a switch named "PC" and then suddenly it's a PC title.

Dark Souls wasn't even made with the PC platform in mind so they designed the engine around the console's architecture. The same thing happened with Rockstar's Red Dead Redemption, which is WHY there is no PC port and never will be.

So yes, we're lucky to even have a port in the first place. And this is why we're giving it a pass.

If you feel that HD resolutions are more important to you than playing an incredible game, then it's simple: don't buy it.

Usuaully a shitty port is defined as being worse than what was released on the original platform. All preview reports indicate that the PC version will be the best version to play.

I'm with you in wanting updated assets and PC specific graphical options, but that isn't happening outside of the resourceful tweaking and modding community.

If playing a game that was rated so high is like getting punched in the face, I don't know what to tell you.

I'm seeing a lot of people cancelling their pre orders for this, the fact it's locked to 720 is a huge stick in the backside, that's something that they should have done before anything else.

If you feel that HD resolutions are more important to you than playing an incredible game, then it's simple: don't buy it.

It's not out of importance but necessity. 720p will look horrible when it's upscaled at anything beyond 1080p (ex: 1440p & 1600p especially). Locking the internal framebuffer to 720p isn't a great way to make a port at all (or any PC game for that matter) that will wind up being run on HD+ displays. That's why people are griping. Why is that so hard to understand? No different than upscaling a 480i movie to a 1080p TV.

It's not out of importance but necessity. 720p will look horrible when it's upscaled at anything beyond 1080p (ex: 1440p & 1600p especially). Locking the internal framebuffer to 720p isn't a great way to make a port at all (or any PC game for that matter) that will wind up being run on HD+ displays. That's why people are griping. Why is that so hard to understand? No different than upscaling a 480i movie to a 1080p TV.

So if it will look horrible at higher resolutions why have none of the previews said anything about it? You can bet most of them are not running it at 720p. Could it be that perhaps it does not look as bad as you think?

So if it will look horrible at higher resolutions why have none of the previews said anything about it? You can bet most of them are not running it at 720p. Could it be that perhaps it does not look as bad as you think?

Maybe the previewers weren't focusing on that particular aspect (or fault) regarding the game? I have no idea. :confused:

It's possible that it might look better. Don't consoles stick to whatever resolution they're meant to render at on a TV? I was thinking that upscaling on a PC may not look that great to everyone. I notice image quality differences very quickly, so I might be the oddball in the mix on this in the first place. ;)

Maybe the previewers weren't focusing on that particular aspect (or fault) regarding the game? I have no idea. :confused:

It's possible that it might look better. Don't consoles stick to whatever resolution they're meant to render at on a TV? I was thinking that upscaling on a PC may not look that great to everyone. I notice image quality differences very quickly, so I might be the oddball in the mix on this in the first place. ;)

I think the RPS preview would've mentioned it since they did take a fairly detailed look at the game. Either way we'll find out when the PC version actually releases. I find it hard to believe that From is the first developer to do this, just the first to actually admit it.

I'll post screenshots on release day. It will help people decide whether or not it looks good enough to buy.

I think the RPS preview would've mentioned it since they did take a fairly detailed look at the game. Either way we'll find out when the PC version actually releases. I find it hard to believe that From is the first developer to do this, just the first to actually admit it.
I do trust RPS very much, so I'll take your word for it. I'm just very cautious anymore since even AAA titles can look bad at higher resolutions.

I'll post screenshots on release day. It will help people decide whether or not it looks good enough to buy.
That would be greatly appreciated.

As long as i can jump into someone's game and kill them I don't care if it's at 30 fps or 120 fps. Only graphics I can't take are RAGE graphics. Everything else is fine with me if the game play is great. I'm quite sure others have done the same as these guys. :)

Usuaully a shitty port is defined as being worse than what was released on the original platform. All preview reports indicate that the PC version will be the best version to play.

I'm with you in wanting updated assets and PC specific graphical options, but that isn't happening outside of the resourceful tweaking and modding community.

If playing a game that was rated so high is like getting punched in the face, I don't know what to tell you.

Call of Duty was consistently rated extremely high on review sites, you think I give 2 shits about review sites for video games anymore?

There were tons of other games that got really shitty scores but were extremely fun.

I have asked it before, other than the difficulty, what does this game offer? From streams/videos I have seen, there is nothing special about anything BUT the difficulty...

I have asked it before, other than the difficulty, what does this game offer? From streams/videos I have seen, there is nothing special about anything BUT the difficulty...

For me, playing it is just fun. The difficulty isn't extreme and keeps it exciting. Videos are not going to do the gameplay justice and some people are just not going to like this type of game.

Call of Duty was consistently rated extremely high on review sites, you think I give 2 shits about review sites for video games anymore?

There were tons of other games that got really shitty scores but were extremely fun.

Great combat, controls, puzzles, pacing, art style, leveling, item system, level design, risk vs. reward, boss battles, story, lore. All of it great.

Oh, and atmosphere.

question: is this going to be like a quick-time-event button fest? I don't use a controller and any game that requires sequential button combos always kicks my ass.

question: is this going to be like a quick-time-event button fest? I don't use a controller and any game that requires sequential button combos always kicks my ass.

No, it isn't like God of War. You usually want to take your time in combat. It's not a button masher.

For anyone wondering about this game: Try it, breathe it in. Best game I've played in years console or otherwise.

To be fair, it's going to kick your ass anyway.

what are the chances that the game gets a post-release patch with advanced graphics settings/options?

what are the chances that the game gets a post-release patch with advanced graphics settings/options?

I'm guessing right around zero. Hopefully Namco will allow From to support the PC version with any kind of patches it may need.

Demon's/Dark Souls is a strategy combat game. There are no QTEs. Only your skill and pain.

is the greatness of this game based mostly on the extremely high difficulty level or would it still be just as good if it were 'easier'?

is the greatness of this game based mostly on the extremely high difficulty level or would it still be just as good if it were 'easier'?

That question was answered last page, come on dude: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039027030&postcount=179

Great combat, controls, puzzles, pacing, art style, leveling, item system, level design, risk vs. reward, boss battles, story, lore. All of it great.

Oh, and atmosphere.

I think the game isn't very difficult in the traditional sense. Yes, enemies do a shit ton of damage and bosses can and will 1-shot you, and there's a chance you lose all your obtained money/XP.

However, all of it can be avoided. The difficulty lies squarely in how patient you, as a gamer, are. At no point in the game is a death out of your control. So yes, people do mean it when they say that every death is your fault and you have to learn from your mistakes. Once you beat the game, you'll go back and wonder why you even had trouble in the first place.

That said, from what I've observed, most people that hate the game tend to die way too many times at the first or second boss and then quit and say they don't have time for it, what a stupid bullshit game, only nerds with no life play it, etc. In reality, it's pretty much the same reason why people seemed to hate the Witcher 2 when the prologue kicked their asses: they get offended when a game tells them they're not good enough. And Dark Souls is really fuckin' good at doing this.

I think the game isn't very difficult in the traditional sense. Yes, enemies do a shit ton of damage and bosses can and will 1-shot you, and there's a chance you lose all your obtained money/XP.

However, all of it can be avoided. The difficulty lies squarely in how patient you, as a gamer, are. At no point in the game is a death out of your control. So yes, people do mean it when they say that every death is your fault and you have to learn from your mistakes. Once you beat the game, you'll go back and wonder why you even had trouble in the first place.

That said, from what I've observed, most people that hate the game tend to die way too many times at the first or second boss and then quit and say they don't have time for it, what a stupid bullshit game, only nerds with no life play it, etc. In reality, it's pretty much the same reason why people seemed to hate the Witcher 2 when the prologue kicked their asses: they get offended when a game tells them they're not good enough. And Dark Souls is really fuckin' good at doing this.

you can say that about every game (or at least games with a slight learning/difficulty curve)...I just finished playing AC2 and AC: Brotherhood and the same principles apply if you are patient and learn from your mistakes etc...learn all the scripted enemy movements or puzzles...but the difference is that with other games you can learn and move on with releative ease...with this game it seems like they made it artificially 10x more difficult for reasons I don't understand

and yes people will quit after awhile because a lot of people don't have the time and patience to go back several hours and replay the same parts over and over and consider that as a fun challenge...it would be different if you died and were brought back to the moment of your death but forcing people to go back and replay ad-nauseum will get people frustrated

people don't get 'offended' by hard games they get offended at games that are artificially difficult in order to make their game stand out...is the thrill of 'finally' defeating a boss worth the difficulty spike?...would people think less of Dark Souls if it were easier?...a game should be able to stand on its own merit based on story, presentation etc and not because they decided to use some sort of Hardcore Mode as the default

You seem to have made up your mind before even playing it that the difficulty is artificial and it's not fair to players (along with a few other posters here). How can you make that sort of judgment?

There are very conscious design decisions that go into the challenge of the game. It's not like they finished it and then decided to up the HP and Damage of everything by 10x because the game couldn't stand on its own. There is a reason this game is highly praised by everyone, players and critics alike.

Also, the AC games are ridiculously easy and hold your hand every step of the way. You can't ever compare it to something like Dark Souls.

You seem to have made up your mind before even playing it that the difficulty is artificial and it's not fair to players (along with a few other posters here). How can you make that sort of judgment?

There are very conscious design decisions that go into the challenge of the game. It's not like they finished it and then decided to up the HP and Damage of everything by 10x because the game couldn't stand on its own. There is a reason this game is highly praised by everyone, players and critics alike.

Also, the AC games are ridiculously easy and hold your hand every step of the way. You can't ever compare it to something like Dark Souls.

I havn't made up my mind at all and am still on the fence about the game...game sounds great but at the same time it does sound frustrating as well...and a lot of people that have played it say the same thing...not everyone is heaping praise while ignoring all other aspects...sounds more like a niche game versus a game that will appeal to the masses...nothing wrong with that but it is what it is...and I definitely question whether the game can stand on its own without the difficulty spike...no one has directly answered whether the game would still be as great without it...if the answer is yes then I'm most likely in

yes the AC games was not a good example as it was just fresh in my mind...but my point was that the puzzle solving aspect is easy once you figure out where to go or move next

Last edited:
Yes, it does stand on it's own. The difficulty of course is one of the most obvious things that sets it apart from other games in this generation, however.

But like LeninGHOLA stated, it's the sum of its parts that make it amazing. If you're curious, the other aspects of the game that I think make it great are the combat system, which is easily one of the best in the genre (embarasses stuff like Skyrim), the bleak atmosphere of the world, the unique online system and interaction with NPCs. There is more choice and consequence in this game than many WRPGs.

Not necessarily.

I'd say the difficulty has been exaggerated. It's by no means an "easy" game, but the perceived difficulty comes from the fact that it does not hold your hand at all and requires you to have patience and use your wits. Button mashing will get you dead a lot.

Part of the appeal is in the looting and adventuring. It's just a neat place to explore and find new area and items. Combine this with the fact that you have to 'work' to make progress, you feel a sense of achievement when you find new places, loot, or defeat enemies. For me, this was a refreshing change of pace from the increasing popular 'Press X to Win' style of gameplay.

Also,

You fight a giant Wolf that uses a sword in it's mouth. Badass.

If you're worried about difficulty; you can always grind more souls and find more humanity. Those are the only two things you'll lose if you die. If you're hollowed, you won't even lose humanity on death. Just learning the combat techniques is the difference between a difficult game and a moderately challenging game.

The game even allows you to way overlevel.

I think if the game was easier it wouldn't be as enjoyable. I can go and play something like Darksiders and just own everything all the way through and get bored.

With Dark Souls you will probably get destroyed over and over again at certain spots/enemies(probably the first level), but after a while you realize that you are actually getting better at the game instead of just progressing through it.

The combat goes from seeming perhaps a bit clunky in the beginning to being graceful when you get the hang of it. When you go from the point of 'I gotta be careful against this guy' to just running up and parrying or dodge/backstabbing him you really do feel like a badass even though your level/gear in the game may have not changed at all.

Also, I suck at video games in general...but I managed to beat both Demon's and Dark Souls and they are probably two of my favorite games in the past 15 years.

From playing dark souls on the xbox there were honestly only two really "damn this is hard" moments for me, mainly blight town (Because of the annoying super low frame rate/poisonus enemies) and the tower knight archers where you have to cross the little rope things and they knock you back if you get hit.

From playing dark souls on the xbox there were honestly only two really "damn this is hard" moments for me, mainly blight town (Because of the annoying super low frame rate/poisonus enemies) and the tower knight archers where you have to cross the little rope things and they knock you back if you get hit.

Capra Demon!!! He had me on farm status for a few nights.

Not sure if I'll be picking up the PC version since I've already played the hell out of it on my PS3 and it just feels like a game that's meant to be played with a controller while chilling on the couch. I'd imagine the whole blocking/parrying/rolling/attacking controls just feel a lot more natural using the bumpers on the dual shock than a keyboard. Still the best game I've played in the last decade.

I'm about to get started on Dragon's Dogma for some more 3rd person action-rpg goodness.

Capra demon is surprisingly easy if you can handle the tight space. Most people zone into his room and freak the hell out. Keep moving!

The combat goes from seeming perhaps a bit clunky in the beginning to being graceful when you get the hang of it. When you go from the point of 'I gotta be careful against this guy' to just running up and parrying or dodge/backstabbing him you really do feel like a badass even though your level/gear in the game may have not changed at all.

And this 100%. Before I played Demons' Soul and Dark Souls, I considered Batman:AA and Uncharted 2 as my favorite action games. Then after getting used to the DS/DrS combat system, every single game I've played since has left me bored to tears. I barely convinced myself to finish Batman:AC and pretty much skipped all the side quests in the game and I turned off Uncharted 3 after two hours and sold it. The combat system in DS/DrS just makes 'so much sense' for a lack of a better description and leaves you wondering why nobody ever did it this way before.

Back