Darkfall : Looks cool, but almost no "buzz"! Que pasa?

semisonic9

Gawd
Darkfall is a new MMO coming out late January, I believe. Should compete with WoW and WAR in price and monthly fee. And yet there is almost no buzz about it anywhere! Supposedly been in closed BETA forever, and was in development longer than WAR.

Links:
http://www.darkfallonline.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bYYT6Wg3Gg
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/416450/darkfall_online_trailer/

Personally, it looks a little TOO immersive to me (read: a huge timesink that forces one to rely on nerds and high school kids {ie, guild} for in-game success), but I'm surprised it hasn't generated more buzz than it has. I never hear anything about it.

You said it buddy, it is too immersive for me too. This looks to be an MMO to appeal to those that left WOW and other major MMO's which have appealed to the casuals.

Animations look really, really, really bad, like 1999 bad. Those trailers are also almost 2 years old as well, not a representation of what the game looks and feels like today, I'm sure. Still looks like a terrible flop, why do you think it's any good?

Uhh, what rock have you been living under.
Go to MMORPG.com
Every single person is a darkfall nut there, it's annoying

Dude, that combat looks real time. Am I mistaken? If it is, I just died and woke up in heaven. I hate hate hate the stupid pseudo combat where you press a hot key (usually 1 - 9, etc) and then wait for a casting animation, where targetting is done by clicking and "highlighting" a mob/player. I want it like an FPS targetting, fighting system. Aim, left click, and hopefully connect with the target...rinse and repeat til said target is dead or you die.

You said it buddy, it is too immersive for me too. This looks to be an MMO to appeal to those that left WOW and other major MMO's which have appealed to the casuals.

It sounds like it would play just like Ultima Online except with new, 3d graphics.

looking forward to U.S. release of this game but.. who knows if it will deliver or not

Dude, that combat looks real time. Am I mistaken? If it is, I just died and woke up in heaven. I hate hate hate the stupid pseudo combat where you press a hot key (usually 1 - 9, etc) and then wait for a casting animation, where targetting is done by clicking and "highlighting" a mob/player. I want it like an FPS targetting, fighting system. Aim, left click, and hopefully connect with the target...rinse and repeat til said target is dead or you die.

It sounds like it would play just like Ultima Online except with new, 3d graphics.

You should check out Savage 2 if you want an FPS real time combat-like RPG game.
VERY worth it.

Might keep some people busy for a month tops.

And how have you not heard a ton about this game, its everywhere -_-

I want it like an FPS targetting, fighting system. Aim, left click, and hopefully connect with the target...rinse and repeat til said target is dead or you die.

Try Dungeons and Dragons online... out there you have to make contact with target, and press mouse button... just like in good hack'n'slash :) Besides, there are no generic quests of "kill wolf puppies, young wolves, big wolves, finally you can kill momma wolf" :)

Try running quests called "Crucible" or "The Pit"... they are best designed dungeons, where you actually have to think :)

Did I mention that each toon can be customised to your feelings - like you want battle cleric, healbot, or something between. Or among rogues - trap monkey, combat rogue, or maybe just get few levels of one class, add few others of 2nd class and so on.

Just a word of advice... it ain't have pvp, and quests are based on group skill (tho no stupid travelling, and mob queues - it's instanced mmo)

Videos looks cool...but so did Vanguard and AoC before they came out, and were much hyped as the second coming, and they both blew.

I stopped playing WoW since WAR came out, I am enjoying WAR, sure it needs major patches still and improvements to RvR, but WAR is coming along nicely.

We shall see if Darkfall can live up to the hype ? When is it due ??

Videos looks cool...but so did Vanguard and AoC before they came out, and were much hyped as the second coming, and they both blew.

I stopped playing WoW since WAR came out, I am enjoying WAR, sure it needs major patches still and improvements to RvR, but WAR is coming along nicely.

We shall see if Darkfall can live up to the hype ? When is it due ??

AOC could have been so good, yet they took wrong turn everywhere they fuckin could ;(. It can still be fun right now, but it doesn't even begin to compare to rich content of LOTRO persay.

It's hard to appreciate an MMO in any way until it's playable. The overall presentation is too large to capture in a spliced video trailer. For example, there is no trailer that just shows a player auto-running from one city to another while just typing/chatting on global or with his clan, that's going to be a huge part of the game that you won't see. You never get a full overview of the interface system in detail, menu customization, what the level grind is like, equipment distribution and cost...

I don't care what kind of features they claim, because I can't see what the execution is like. Poorly executed gameplay innovation is still poor gameplay.

None of the ads or buzzword features really tell you what a game is like, you have to play MMOs to see what it's like. And since MMOs are BIG games, I'll wait for word-of-mouth stemming from hands-on experience.

Darkfall is for hardcore mmoers.. you drop items on death and can overrun player cities by force... WoW kiddies need not apply.

Darkfall is for hardcore mmoers.. you drop items on death and can overrun player cities by force... WoW kiddies need not apply.

kiddies? lawl, you mean those who do not want to dedicate all their free time to an MMO and have a life?

kiddies? lawl, you mean those who do not want to dedicate all their free time to an MMO and have a life?

Irony much?

At least there won't be any levels or items to grind in Darkfall to be able to even start playing the game.

It's always the kiddies that want to do devious things to other people with no consequences. After all, adults are (or should be) far more aware of real-world consequences for doing "bad" things than kids. Often times that mindset carries over to your gaming personality in an MMO or online game in general. That is, unless you had some secret itch to do "bad" things deep down.

You'll probably see kids playing this game over and over, and not get bored. While adults who get plundered get pissed off for wasting all their valuable time/effort at a drop of a dime by some kid, then move on.

It's always the kiddies that want to do devious things to other people with no consequences. After all, adults are (or should be) far more aware of real-world consequences for doing "bad" things than kids. Often times that mindset carries over to your gaming personality in an MMO or online game in general. That is, unless you had some secret itch to do "bad" things deep down.

You'll probably see kids playing this game over and over, and not get bored. While adults who get plundered get pissed off for wasting all their valuable time/effort at a drop of a dime by some kid, then move on.

QFT. Anyone that thinks this game is not for the wow kiddies is crazy and will probably quit after the 17th time a wow kiddie takes thier hard earned stuff.

I have to agree with you. In online FPS"s it is exactly the same. I used to be a part of a team where most of the folk were 30+; I was 18 at the time. When COD4 came out they all refused to even play it as they always got owned and figured that everybody hacked. Upon release of PB, they decided to not play it in any leagues as they got their ass handed to them on PB server and they figured that everyone still hacked. Now, they think that PB sucks and everybody hackes.

It is the same way with any online game out there. While younger dudes do not mind getting owned, older people do I think.

It is real time. No gay turned based style fighting. No auto target crap either.

Real time combat in an MMO means more of the work is being done client-side to avoid network latency, which means it's going to be open season for hacks.

Real time combat in an MMO means more of the work is being done client-side to avoid network latency, which means it's going to be open season for hacks.

MMOs have survived for many years without rampant hacking what makes you think thats going to change with thsi one?

MMOs have survived for many years without rampant hacking what makes you think thats going to change with thsi one?

Are you sure about that? There have been hacks for practically every MMO out now.

Are you sure about that? There have been hacks for practically every MMO out now.

Hrmm like what? Only one I've ever seen was speedhacking (not even personally, through a video) in WoW, and that's insta ban as it is.

There was supposedly one that changed your stats and gave you unlimited crit and HP but it never actually worked on live realms

Hrmm like what? Only one I've ever seen was speedhacking (not even personally, through a video) in WoW, and that's insta ban as it is.

There was supposedly one that changed your stats and gave you unlimited crit and HP but it never actually worked on live realms

Wow is more of an exception because of the extreme amount of resources that they have to fix all the bugs. That being said I have used speed hacks in Wow and have used scrips exploit and exploit tools in just about every other recent mmo (AOC, Vangard, WAR, ect..) they are actually a pita to ban people for unless someone sees someone do it and SS it (excluding wow).

Seriously, more people do it than you think.

Not saying they have never had to deal with hackers im saying its certainly not enough to steer people away from MMOs. After all these years i would think sits safe to say hacking is a bad argument to use against MMOs.

Wow is more of an exception because of the extreme amount of resources that they have to fix all the bugs. That being said I have used speed hacks in Wow and have used scrips exploit and exploit tools in just about every other recent mmo (AOC, Vangard, WAR, ect..) they are actually a pita to ban people for unless someone sees someone do it and SS it (excluding wow).

Seriously, more people do it than you think.

Interesting. I'd imagine they wouldn't go more than a full week at max if they keep up the hacks. Hacking is more serious in MMOs than FPS's for example because.. well it's obvious, if you have that much of an advantage you could farm the highest end instances over and over for the best gear, I can't imagine any decent company letting that go by without noticing, let alone the ones you mentinoed.

DF owns you!

It is basically a cross of UO/AC/SB I am so hyped and ready to play, I guess I am one of those forum diehard peeps that was mentioned in a previous post. Anyways.. the game is great for those for want risk vs reward and to those that think WoW kiddies will play, I am sure some will, but once they start getting owned and lose their gear they will stop playing, because they wont be able back up their shit when they start running their mouths.

As a fan of UO, I'm looking forward to this game. How hard is it to get a beta invite these days?

Looks interesting, even if they get it up and popular how long would it take before they nerf it like star wars MMO.

Oh you mean I pay a subscription so some punk ganks me and steals my shit when i'm not looking? I'll pass.

Originally Posted by combustion

Oh you mean I pay a subscription so some punk ganks me and steals my shit when i'm not looking? I'll pass.

combustion illustrated his point perfectly. This game is obviously not for players like you, fdiaz78. ;)

combustion illustrated his point perfectly. This game is obviously not for players like you, fdiaz78. ;)

Not really, its annoying that theres a group of people in the gaming world that actually believe strict penalties = hardcore.

Sounds like a breeding ground for asshats that will eventually drive off the userbase and screw themselves out of people to play with.

PvP is when you play groups against groups or 1 against 1 in a fair fight. In UO they'd gang up 5+ to 1 and laugh when you lost, or kill newbies who had little or no chance of winning and call themselves "Hardcore" PvP 'ers.
When you get killed for the 10th time in 20 minutes just trying to tradeskill or travel, it gets annoying and frustrating even for PvP'ers.
The major griefing is what caused UO to split into a non-PvP/pvp game.
Granted tho, some of the pvp'ers i met were amazing and had the skills to back them up. Most were just annoying....:D
You'll never get back to that because they griefers would end up on servers populated with only griefers after awhile imho.

Yeah, I'm more of a solo player in PvP. I play too often to only roll around with a "gang", and I lopsided fights (5v2, 3v1, etc) get boring quickly. I can't stand putting up with a-hole guildies just because we "need" a well-geared elemental shaman/holy priest/ironbreaker/whatever and he's the only one antisocial enough to not belong to a group yet.

There need to be some boundries on what you can lose. "Death penalties" in MMOs have always struck me as relatively PC timesinks. They benefit the host company more than anybody else. Whether it makes players waste time walking back to their bodies or replacing all their crap is really only a difference of whether you'd rather be screwed with your pants on, or off.

Death in MMO PvP can result from a variety of things, including but not limited to:
  • "Oh, I was battling a monster and got PKed. Mad skillz, yo!"
  • "Need to take a crap. Let me afk real quick in a safe spot. *5 min later* Ah shit. I'm dead and being camped by this +20 level huntard/rogue/bright wizard/witch elf/etc."
  • "I'm stuck with a bunch of lowby, under-geared mouth-breathers in this scenario/battleground. We're up against a guild-based premade. Their guild is called 'BallzOnUrFace'. I can't leave without incurring a penalty. **ck my life."
  • "10 **ckheads with nothing better to do are camping the area/quest/zone/town I need to turn in a quest/level up/exit the zone/get some freaking xp."
  • "Finally! I just entered a fair fight! PvP at it's most entertaining! Watch me cast this firebolt! Wait. Why is my screen frozen? WTF? That guy was about to close into melee range! ZOMG, connection problem! Restart, you SOB! Restart now!
    (by the time you get back in game)
    "Would you like to resurrect?"
    **ck.

Etc. In a fair fight, a limited or controlled setting, etc, I don't mind some kind of disincentive for death. (Although, imo, respawn/rez timers do the trick pretty nicely for 90% of the ADD-kiddy gamers out there) What I mind is coming up with random ones, imposing no restrictions on what fairly incurs a penalty and what doesn't.

Not saying they have never had to deal with hackers im saying its certainly not enough to steer people away from MMOs. After all these years i would think sits safe to say hacking is a bad argument to use against MMOs.
Well keep in mind the original premise:
Real time combat in an MMO means more work is being done client-side.

There are hacks in WoW, but whether they are effective or not is beside the point the person you were responded to is making because he's talking about real time combat, which WoW does not have.

Or perhaps real-time combat will mean:
Get 1,000 people piled up and hit a button and half a second later you swing a sword at a hitbox that is already somewhere else.

Ok, I see a lot of assumptions in here.

I am going to wager that the majority of people talking about "timesinks" and how they won't like losing things will quit and such.

You assume that the equipment and gear will be worth a lot nd take a lot of time, among other things.

It seems a lot of you are simply basing the idea of gear on games like EQ/WoW, well stop.

In games lilke this (IE UO, and the few other loot pvp games) Items are not treated like they are in WoW for example.

The developers have already stlated, you should not get attached to your gear, that you will have backups stored in your bank for losing it.

In UO gear was not a hard thing to come by, you could glenerally lose EVERYTHING on you and it didn't hurt you too bad.

You have to stop looking at Gear as what MAKES your character, that is not how the game is.

What makes your character is mostly how YOU play it and your characters skils (no lv's), it isn't their "uber gear."

Back