Daughter going off to college, suggestions for LCD TV size for 360

AARGH!

Gawd
1st daughter is off to college, and wanted to get her an LCD TV and a 360 (yes, she games). She is in a two person room (15'8" x 11'8", no bunk beds, standard wall locker, bed, desk). She has a laptop so she won't have a PC or monitor taking up space. So any suggestions and leads on good deals would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I think 22" or 26" would be good, my sister went off to college last fall and had the "standard dorm" like you described and brought a 26" along for her Wii and never had any problems with it. I think she got this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889165004

On the other hand, I just finished college and the "suite style dorm" (living room, 4 individual bed rooms, kitchen, bath & shower) so I brought a 40" samsung.

Will she be moving into a suite after her freshman year? or are all the dorms at her school the standard style dorms? If she is getting into a suite the next year I would recommend buying a cheap / small screen for this year, and get a big one next year :)

On the back page of yesterday's Best Buy ad, they had advertised a 42" Panasonic plasma PX80 (720p) model along with a 60gb Xbox Premium and installation for $1099! YMMV however as I'm not sure if BB's ads are national or regionalized.

i would go with a 26 inch.. if your looking for a good offshoot brand for a dorm room, i got myself a dynex HDTV two years ago.. i saw at work today they were selling the same thing for 399 right now.. ive had no dead pixels.. YMMV, but for a dorm room TV you probably dont want a sony or anything.

she won't care about 1080p support, and she's unlikely to have a 1080p source in her room anyway, so you might as well save some money and get a 720p display. I wouldn't go above 32".

this is very important, how hot is your daughter?
Too hot for you....

Wondering how long that would take. Bad enough she gets hit on at her job at the local comic book shop. (yeah she reads comics too)

I've already warned her that she will have to keep a baseball bat with her to keep off the college geek crowd once they find out.

For everyone else thanks for all the suggestions so far!

Space considerations have to be taken into planning. Since it has to fit either on top of desk since not much room elsewhere. 3' is my guess for space.

honestly I would go 32". You could go smaller, but a 32 won't cost much more than a 26, and soon she'll probably move to an apartment and want the larger size.

Also, I wish my parents were as cool as you when I went to college :D

um, you can use a pc monitor with the 360. I use a 24" acer. There is that 24" Soyo at officemax for $300? Good picture, lightweight, small footprint etc. You need a vga adapter for the 360 or a hdmi monitor.

um, you can use a pc monitor with the 360. I use a 24" acer. There is that 24" Soyo at officemax for $300? Good picture, lightweight, small footprint etc. You need a vga adapter for the 360 or a hdmi monitor.

I know, but also want her to be able to use it as a TV as well. Oh and "Price" is an object....

;)

I wouldn't get anything smaller than 24". I was looking around at Sam's yesterday, and I was still amazed at how expensive the small LCD TVs were. God, I would never pay $450 for a 19" when I can get a 40" for $999 of a good brand like Samsung or Sony. I think the

VIzio's are pretty good TVs for the price. A friend has the 32" inch 720p TV and I think he paid around $600 or so for it. It's picture is really pretty good, not as good as my Samsung, but good all around. You could look into Vizio, because I know they are on the cheaper side. I don't know if they go smaller than 32" though, for that's the smallest I saw while at Sam's yesterday.

I just was at Costco. They have a 32" Vizio LCD for $529 and a 32" Vizio plasma for $499. Both are 720p.

The 26" TVs were almost as much.

I just was at Costco. They have a 32" Vizio LCD for $529 and a 32" Vizio plasma for $499. Both are 720p.

The 26" TVs were almost as much.

Yea, those Vizios look great. That's awesome though, your daughter games! AND Comics!

I'm going to hit Best Buy at lunch to see what these sizes actually look like. Then hit Costco on way home, since what they offer online is different from in-store and get price info.

We have a Vizio for a bedroom TV, it's in the 40" plus range and love it. Beats the 35" Sony Tube tv that ate up most of the corner (and all my friends refused to move it anymore, as it weighed a ton).

1st daughter is off to college, and wanted to get her an LCD TV and a 360 (yes, she games). She is in a two person room (15'8" x 11'8", no bunk beds, standard wall locker, bed, desk). She has a laptop so she won't have a PC or monitor taking up space. So any suggestions and leads on good deals would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I'll give you a suggestion if you give me her gamertag =P
LOL.

22-26inches is really the sweet spot for a dorm room. Any bigger and it takes over the room, and any smaller is simply annoying. I'm ina 10x8 room with a 20inch CRT, and it's the perfect size.

I'm moving out for college soon too and looking to pick up a 32" LCD for my X360 Elite. We have a 50" rear projection SDTV, but it's like 200+ lbs and I don't think we want to carry it upstairs if our room is upstairs. :p

I wouldn't buy her either...

videogames + dorms = fail

If I was worried about that, then I'd have to take her laptop away as well. Now if we were talking about my son, that's a different story.....

seriously the baseball bat is always more comforting (i guess in a phallic, elektra-complex sort of way) but pepper spray is way more practical and effective.

if your daughter is in a dorm, she's better off not having a video game system, just buy her a tv and a dvd player so her friends can come watch movies. you don't want her hanging out with the dorks who only play video games and shit.

as for how hot she is, i think you should post a picture and let us determine that for ourselves ;)

as for what size of screen. i have a 24in monitor plugged into my 360 via vga cables and it's suitable. you don't want to get too big of a tv that'll take up precious space in a dorm

I wouldn't buy her either...

videogames + dorms = fail

College students will always find a way to be entertained. Even those with a strict study regiment will eventually endulge in the many college "distractions." Chances are the Xbox will be the last of daddy's worries! :D

Which school is she going to btw?

The 26" Vizio is a current contender at the moment for size and price. Followed closely by the 26" Sony Bravia (Dell price helps here).

I think a nice 26 inch 720P TV. This way its cheap, decent, and can be used as a DVD player without taking up that much room.

as for how hot she is, i think you should post a picture and let us determine that for ourselves ;)

as for what size of screen. i have a 24in monitor plugged into my 360 via vga cables and it's suitable. you don't want to get too big of a tv that'll take up precious space in a dorm

What's the distance between you and your TV? How hard is it reading smaller game text? When I was looking at sets I couldn't imagine reading anything small from halfway across a dorm room on anything less than a 26".

Another vote for 32". I have a 26" LCD in my bedroom and it's just too small...Hell even my 42" is "small" to me now.

32 is too big for how close theyll be sitting to it, I would go with the 22-26" suggestion too. I wouldnt consider the tv's "future after college" either, since thats like 4 years away, I wouldnt want to use the same LCD after 4 years. Dorms are basically 10 foot houses, they dont have any other rooms to put other stuff like you do at home, so dont go crazy with a huge tv that forces junk to pile up on the floor and on desks. 32" is fine for a bedroom but your bedroom isnt your kitchen/dining room/living room/etc like a dorm is.

Make sure to consider everything thats going in the room before buying any furniture or appliances, you will run out of space very fast.

Back