DD-WRT router question

TGA

Gawd
Does anyone know if Best Buy usually stocks any router compatible with the DD-WRT firmware? I don't really have any other local source and would like to stop at Bust Buy after work today and pick one up. But I have not fount any easy way to compare DD-WRT compatible routers too what Best Buy lists.

I need to set up a wireless repeater tonight and DD-WRT sounds like my best bet. The only wireless router I have laying around is an old SMC and it does not seem to do what I need on stock firmware and no SMC routers are listed on the DD-WRT site.

I need a wireless repeater cause I have a family member in town right now who needs to be able to use his laptop to get work done while he is here. However The place he is staying while in town is unable to provide a reliable wireless connection to his room. The signal strength is just too weak.

Thanks,
Tom

Any of these should work. They are all Linksys.

WRT54G2
WRT160N
WRT610N
WRT310N

I recommended the WRT54G2 to a friend for DD-WRT. Seems to be a solid router.

Get something that'll handle a full build. I'm running a Belkin that'll only take micro builds and I hate it.

The WRT54G2 only has 2MB Flash. I'd recommend at least a WRT54GL.

He's shopping at Best Buy, which seems is the only place he's considering. No Best Buy stocks the GL. Even a year ago I had to buy mine in the FS/FT

This will be my first time with DD-WRT firmware and yes the routers I show in stock at my local Best Buy all seem to be 2MB flash. So Micro builds, is this going to be a problem for what I want to do?

All I care about is being able to place it where it gets a good signal and have it repeat that signal to provide coverage to him. Then when he goes back home I will be giving it to another local family member to improve coverage for my laptop when I am spending time with him. It should never need to do anything else.

Edit: Yes it looks like the WRT54G2 is going to be my best bet for a compatible router at a decent price. I just need to confirm it will do what I need.

Last edited:
Back