[H]ard|Gawd
right now i'm looking at an

evga 790i ultra sli

or

gigabyte GA-X48DQ6

or

Intel BOXDX48BT2

i read the evga has data corruption issues though

what about X38 boards, will they support the Q9450?

thanks all:D

The Abit IP35 Pro has eSATA and currently shipping boards will boot with a Q9450.

Why do you need a SLI or Crossfire motherboard?

The Abit IP35 Pro has eSATA and currently shipping boards will boot with a Q9450.

Why do you need a SLI or Crossfire motherboard?

i dont think it matters, i most likely wont be using more than one card. either one will do actually.

i have purchased the evga 790i SLI ultra because i might get a wild hair and MIGHT get another nvdia card but seeing at mainly a gaming board above everything else(and the data corruption issue) i might take it back and was looking at the gigabyte X48 board.

in the reviews i read it got last place in just about every catagory sometimes doubled in app performance. it did good with framerates though:D

i have the q9450 already but the knuckeheads from frys say those 3 are the only boards that will support that chip

right now i'm looking at an

evga 790i ultra sli

or

gigabyte GA-X48DQ6

or

Intel BOXDX48BT2

i read the evga has data corruption issues though

what about X38 boards, will they support the Q9450?

thanks all:D

Of those motherboards, only the GA-X48DQ6 supports DDR2. The other two require DDR3 memory (and will work only with DDR3 memory). Intel does not currently make any of the X-chipset-series motherboards with DDR2 support; they require DDR3 memory.

i dont think it matters, i most likely wont be using more than one card. either one will do actually.

i have purchased the evga 790i SLI ultra because i might get a wild hair and MIGHT get another nvdia card but seeing at mainly a gaming board above everything else(and the data corruption issue) i might take it back and was looking at the gigabyte X48 board.

in the reviews i read it got last place in just about every catagory sometimes doubled in app performance. it did good with framerates though:D

i have the q9450 already but the knuckeheads from frys say those 3 are the only boards that will support that chip

just an fyi, no self respecting [H] user trusts what the knuckleheads at fry's say about anything when it comes to hardware. :)

Hopefully you realized before you bought the 790i that it takes DDR3 as your title was asking about DDR2. I've personally got the abit IP35 pro and it is running my X3350(Q9450 in Xeon clothing) just fine. WAY cheaper than any of the X48 or 790i options.

just an fyi, no self respecting [H] user trusts what the knuckleheads at fry's say about anything when it comes to hardware. :)

Hopefully you realized before you bought the 790i that it takes DDR3 as your title was asking about DDR2. I've personally got the abit IP35 pro and it is running my X3350(Q9450 in Xeon clothing) just fine. WAY cheaper than any of the X48 or 790i options.

yes i knew it took DDR3 RAM and actually picked up 2GB of OCZ DDR3 gold edition ram to go with the board. i've never used and EVGA board but i know from past evga boards that some would just die after 6 months, so i'm hesitant to even open the box, and havent yet:D and i'm hearing of data corruption, and with a board this expensive, i dont want to take that chance.

since DDR2 is cheaper still, and i'm finding out you CAN use ddr2 with an X48/ Q9450, i'm looking to go that route, hence the title.

as another option abit's IX38 QuadGT will run a Q9450, DDR2 & has 2 eSATA ports.

I wonder why eSATA is so scarce even on high end motherboards these days? Is it incredibly expensive for the manufacturer to implement? I have exactly the same problem (DDR2, Q9450, solid chipset need).. and don´t like to install extra IO cards because of potential stability issues I´ve experienced with SATA cards. Thanks for posting this Dunan, and for the info BUFF and Wolf2009.

Maybe one should hold out for a P45 though... I hope they pull themselves together and realize that eSATA is crucial on enthusiast motherboards.

I would expect abit to have eSATA on at least their top P45s & possibly middle as well but probably not on the bottom.

Well maybe one should consider Abit then. I have been a happy ASUS user for many many years.. .geez almost a decade I just realized. I will definitly be looking out for the reviews.. ok this was off topic..kind of.

Anyway Dunan, let us know what you settle for and how it works out, this is particularly interesting for me :)

What DDR2 are you planning on using, when you get rid of your DDR3 btw? Im already got my Corsair DHX2 CL4 800MHz, I just build a rig for a friend using this on the Q9450, set the timings manually and its running rock solid and pretty fast (he doesn´t like to OC).

Well maybe one should consider Abit then. I have been a happy ASUS user for many many years.. .geez almost a decade I just realized. I will definitly be looking out for the reviews.. ok this was off topic..kind of.

Anyway Dunan, let us know what you settle for and how it works out, this is particularly interesting for me :)

What DDR2 are you planning on using, when you get rid of your DDR3 btw? Im already got my Corsair DHX2 CL4 800MHz, I just build a rig for a friend using this on the Q9450, set the timings manually and its running rock solid and pretty fast (he doesn´t like to OC).

the last abit board i had would not give a display after i re-wired it to increase airflow:eek:

talk about being pissed, i've NEVER had that happen, and there was no real reason for it to not give a display...the board booted up, ran just as always but just would not show anything onscreen:mad:

i took the EVGA back and picked up the gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6. hopefully it will work out of the box and not have any LAN issues that have been reported. i read thats a driver issue through windows anyway, easily fixed apparently.

i got 4GB of corsair XMS2 DDR2. switching the board and memory saved me $140 so i was naturally good with that:D

i wont get a chance to build it for a couple days yet, hopefully i wont have any issues.

i got 4GB of corsair XMS2 DDR2. switching the board and memory saved me $140 so i was naturally good with that

oh thats a sweet deal! I hear its a great board too. I already got my 8GB, one late night. Don´t really know why (thought they were going to sell out...) since I am not building until I head to the states in beginning of August. I can´t wait!

...wow did I write DHX.. well its definitly XMS.. too many odd names on equipment in my head hehe

Good luck!

I wonder why eSATA is so scarce even on high end motherboards these days? Is it incredibly expensive for the manufacturer to implement? I have exactly the same problem (DDR2, Q9450, solid chipset need).. and don´t like to install extra IO cards because of potential stability issues I´ve experienced with SATA cards. Thanks for posting this Dunan, and for the info BUFF and Wolf2009.

Maybe one should hold out for a P45 though... I hope they pull themselves together and realize that eSATA is crucial on enthusiast motherboards.
can you go into more detail on your issues with SATA cards?

can you go into more detail on your issues with SATA cards?

It would BSOD my XP 32. Tried various PCI slots and a few drivers. I believe it was a Promise SATA300 TX2... But thats from memory, and it´s some time ago. It really annoyed me, thought it was an IRQ thing at first, but it wasn´t.

Maybe the card was bad, in any case I just janked it, and stayed away from SATA II disks.. have one lying here waiting for my next motherboard. Its been a good and unbearably long while since I upgraded. Running an ASUS A8V Deluxe using the FastTrack 378 controller, maybe that was the conflict...?

Perhaps I should relocate it tomorrow and take a new look at this problem. But I am upgrading in August, when I go to the US :)

It would BSOD my XP 32. Tried various PCI slots and a few drivers. I believe it was a Promise SATA300 TX2... But thats from memory, and it´s some time ago. It really annoyed me, thought it was an IRQ thing at first, but it wasn´t.

Maybe the card was bad, in any case I just janked it, and stayed away from SATA II disks.. have one lying here waiting for my next motherboard. Its been a good and unbearably long while since I upgraded. Running an ASUS A8V Deluxe using the FastTrack 378 controller, maybe that was the conflict...?

Perhaps I should relocate it tomorrow and take a new look at this problem. But I am upgrading in August, when I go to the US :)
Hmmm. The item I linked isn't a card, just a bracket - kinda like an extension cord for the SATA ports already on the motherboard.

Oh nice :) I wasn´t aware. So it will convert an onboard SATA to eSATA, I had no idea that was possible, thanks.

Dumb question probably, abit ip35 or the quad gt, they both seem to have decent features? best bang for buck, 30 dollar diffrence worth it? only thing i really see diffrence is xfire support and sata connectors?

the IX38 QuadGT has dual x16 PCI-E 2.0 for Crossfire instead of x16+x4 PCI-E 1.x & it still has another physical x16 slot that runs electrically at x4.
PWM is digital versus analogue.
Only has 1 ethernet though where IP35 Pro has 2 & there is no firewire port on the rear IO plane (IP35 pro has 1) although it has headers on the mobo.
SATA connectors are the same afaik.
The IP35 Pro BIOS is more mature as befits a 9 month older mobo.

Upto you really, the IP35 Pro is being replaced by the IP35 Pro XE (different colour heatsinks & official 1600fsb CPU support) so you may find a great deal (there are some very good deals in the UK on the older mobo ~25% off)

Back