Decent MP3 player for cheap?

uzor

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey all, Haven't really been into the whole mp3 player scene before, as I didn't travel much except for in a car, where I could listen to a CD or the radio. Anyways, it looks like I'm going to have to start supporting an office in Salt Lake City a couple times a month, which involves a ~1.5 hr plane ride (x2 - round trip). Want to finally get an MP3 player to listen to on the plane, as well as hook into my car stereo. As best as I can figure here's the specifics I care about:

Requirements:
small / lightweight
not too expensive - $100 - $130 or so as a max price, cheaper is better
SD and/or SDHC compatability for removable storage
2GB - 8GB internal storage is plenty so long as it meets the removable storage requirement above
Drag-and-drop file manager is preferred over a media player sync-type application (not a must have)
Removable battery preferred
good battery life preferred
decent sound quality

Don't cares:
video playback
big shiny color screen
trendy brand
FM tuner
BT / wireless connectivity

Anything out there for me?

Thanks!!

I have a Sandisk Sansa e130. It's very low-tech. Uses a AAA battery, has 512mb and an SD card slot that you can use up to a 2GB card in. Also has an FM tuner (I don't use, but it's there). It doesn't support podcasts, subscriptions, album art, video or anything fancy. BUT you also don't need crazy software or anything. USB plug into your puter, drag and drop your music!

I got mine on evilbay for I think $20? says refurb, but it's worked for over a year like a champ.

Here's the Userguide (pdf) from the sandisk site:
http://www.sandisk.com/Assets/File/pdf/retail/Sansa_ug_ENG.pdf

might have to check out their other models to see if any support a 4gb card that aren't too expensive. Is the max SD card capacity listed in the pdf manual?

Yes, it is and it is 2GB. I don't know if the models supporting higher cards have replaceable batteries. That was something I wanted - replaceable, not rechargeable.

Check out overstockdealz.com;) they have excellent deals on mp3 player and you can make offer if you dont like there asking price.

I saw this deal a couple of days ago, and thought it would help:

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-e280-Player-Black/dp/B000HZ9CCA

It seems to fit most of the requirements you are looking for, and is on sale for $90. Although I don't own one, the Sansa e2xx series seems pretty popular, so there should be a lot of reviews and information out there.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back