Dedicated GPU

theDreamer

2[H]4U
Looking for a good, quiet, dedicated GPU.
Upgraded to Windows 7 and video playback just seems a bit laggy and starting to give me a headache. Hoping with a little more GPU power it will go away.

~Requirements:
~PCIe
~Under 150USD
~HDMI out

Pretty simple, just want to drop in a GPU, turn off the motherboard one and pretend like nothing changed. :)

What CPU and motherboard do you have?

I think this could be a driver and software issue.

GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L LGA 775
4850e

Using PowerDVD 8 to playback blu-ray .ISO files, no issues on Vista and the Windows 7 install went fine. I might try to update the GPU myself maybe (Windows may have gotten an old driver).

GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L LGA 775
4850e

Using PowerDVD 8 to playback blu-ray .ISO files, no issues on Vista and the Windows 7 install went fine. I might try to update the GPU myself maybe (Windows may have gotten an old driver).

Hold up... the 4850e is an AMD AM2 CPU, not compatible with LGA775...

My bad, I had the wrong motherboard in my records, oops.
GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

The integrated ATi 3200 should handle 1080p easily. Try updating drivers.

A 5670 is right around $100 and will work great.. a little overkill but will output all HD codecs over HDMI.

It seems a bit better with the official ATi driver, will play back a few movies to test tonight.
But on the off chance I need to buy a new GPU, what is the current "best" HTPC card now?

It seems a bit better with the official ATi driver, will play back a few movies to test tonight.
But on the off chance I need to buy a new GPU, what is the current "best" HTPC card now?

What codec software are you using and what video player?

If you absolutely need one then get a 5670 if you're watching sporting events, a 5450 if no sports.

If you absolutely need one then get a 5670 if you're watching sporting events, a 5450 if no sports.

I use powerdvd 8 to play back blu-ray .ISO files.
It is a fairly simple setup, one reason I went with it, no messy ripping, codecs, etc. Just as long as my .ISO files mount with virtualclonedrive and play in powerdvd 8.

I have the exact same motherboard, CPU, OS for my HTPC, but I'm using a 4550 and it works just fine, no stuttering

care to explain what the difference would be if you are watching sports?

the 5450 might not have the horsepower to do vector adaptive deinterlacing, only motion adaptive. MA isn't bad but the difference is most visible with sports due to lines on the field etc., but really i would just go with the 5570 which is releasing this week. Its going to be more, prob ~$80 but has 5 times the shader power of the 5450 and way more bandwidth, basically it should never get bogged down processing tv while a 5450 conceivably could.

http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3734&p=4

that shows some examples of diff. between MA and VA

When you're doing a review about video quality and you leave denoise on, there goes your credibility.

But it is a feature that some people may prefer to use. It's not saying that it produces bad quality its just that you can't have all the features on at one time. that being said, a 5670 still meets his requirements and gives him bitstreaming if he wants it. or if he dosn't care about being able to use all the features, the 5450 is still a good choice.

Back