Dell 22in LCD

WickedWeasel

Limp Gawd
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20060627PR205.html

CMO receives orders from Dell for 22-inch widescreen monitor panels
Rebecca Kuo, Tainan; Rodney Chan, DigiTimes.com [Tuesday 27 June 2006]

Dell has placed orders with Chi Mei Optoelectronics (CMO) for 22-inch widescreen monitor panels, with monthly shipments to reach 100,000 units, according to industry sources.

Although CMO has just started volume production, the company is currently the only panel maker in the world that is producing 22-inch widescreen monitor panels in volume.

CMO recently indicated that its monthly shipments will reach 100,000 panels by September. However, CMO yesterday declined to say whether it has received order from Dell, citing client confidentiality.

CMO is currently producing the 22-inch widescreen monitor panels at its 5.5G plant. Its 5.5G substrates can be cut into 12 22-inch widescreen panels.

LG.Philips LCD (LPL), Samsung Electronics and AU Optronics also have plans to volume produce 22-inch widescreen monitor panels soon, the sources said. LPL will start volume production for the segment in September, the sources added.

Dell usually diversifies its supply sources, and the PC maker is expected to add two or three more suppliers for the 22-inch widescreen panel segment once CMO's competitors start production, the sources said.

CMO currently is the number one panel maker in the 19-inch widescreen panel segment, with 85% of the worldwide market, with the company shipping 500,000 panels to the segment in May, the sources said.

==========================================================

Will 22in make the pixel gap too large? Is LG going to be making a 22in AS-IPS panel?

In another thread, there was mention of Samsung collaborating with Microsoft to produce a 22" Vista bona fide monitor. I'm guessing it's the same panel. Having recently ordered the 2407, I'm a little curious if it was daft of me to do so.

At any rate, there will always be something new on the horizon and if we perpetually maul over the "what ifs", we wouldn't get anywhere. I wonder what resolution will the panel get.

The rumoured 27" is firmly speculated to be 1920x1200. Ah, exciting times.

This size range is getting very crowded. So far we have 19", 20.1", 21", now 22", 23", 24"... Do we really need to have another size???

This is 1680x1050 right? If you want a large widescreen monitor for gaming this could be a great choice opposed to having to game at 1920x1200 with the 23"+ panels.

Ooooh, GREAT news to me. I've been wanting to buy a large widescreen LCD for a while, but couldn't make myself due to the crazy high native resolutions of the 2405/7, and 1680x1050 should be perfect.

Poo. It's a 1,680 x 1,050 panel. At 22-inches it'll have a pretty coarse pixel pitch. 1,920 x 1,200 would have made for a nice tight pitch and super sharp image quality. Never mind.

MentatYP said:
This size range is getting very crowded. So far we have 19", 20.1", 21", now 22", 23", 24"... Do we really need to have another size???

And don't forget 30" Dell 3007fpw
;)

Back