Dell 2405FPW backlight bleed

Ultra Wide

[H]ard|Gawd
Have you guys had any problems with the backlight in your 2405FPW?

My first one had a streaking backlight, but no real bleeding, couple of dead pixels.
Manufacture Date: October 2005

So I got another replacement, 2nd one has very little streaking, no dead-pixels, but a bright spot at the top middle. Somewhat pronounced bleeding.
Manufacture Date: November 2005

So, I don't know if I should try for another or just call it quits and stick with the 2nd one. I can't stand dead-pixels, but I am a little concerned about the backlight bleeding.

I have also seen posts from a French website where a member opened up their 2001FP and found out that the casing was causing the bleeding by applying too much pressure along the edges of the panel, I am not gonna bother opening my LCD, but it was interesting nonetheless.

I don't know how normal it is. Mine has no backlight bleeding whatsoever. You are paying a lot of money for that panel. I would make them keep sending them until you are satisfied.

Just a question, how do you know you have backlight bleeding? My screen is bright, but I've never used an LCD before. I just kinda chalked it up to LCD's in general.

You will know you have backlight bleeding when your screen is black and you see patches of greyish/white areas showing through. It is most common in the corners.

LCDs are bright by nature but it should be a nice even color across the screen.

One more thing. Be careful not to create bleeding by handling the panel on the edges. When stress is applied to the edges of LCDs over time, backlight bleeding can occur.

Back in 2000-2001 we had a good LCD made by viewsonic, I say good cause one day I got really mad at my boss and punch it pretty hard. I left knockle marks in the screen but you know what? It went away overnight and there was no bleeding.
I really think Dells/LG's are really great, if you get a non-defective panel but for the most part your going to get one with some kind of problem (if your picky).
My opinion is stay away from Dells if your picky...go for a samsung/viewsonic/sony/Etc. LG has some catching up to do.

Back