Dell 2407WFP-HC is available now

It's samsung's 22' widescreen.

That is what I thought. I just know how that is supposed to factor into Dells decision to have the serial number reflect the panel type. Ever Dell LCD I have seen does reflect this. All my panels where Samsungs and they all ended in S.

Well as far as I've heard the best Dell monitors have Samsung panels... which make all this shit with Samsung and their third party panels really weird.

I have connected my Wii (16:9 and 480p) to the HC and I got mixed results.
There is something wrong with the aspect option from the monitor menu. The black bars are showing on the left and on the right of the screen. Should they be on the top and bottom?
Of course, the image is grainy but the Wii is too blame since it does not support very high resolution.

To be honest, I prefer to connect my Wii on my good old Sonly CRT (480i).

how can you confirm the model is an HC???

I'm looking all over it and see nothing....

edit: dude above me; find my thread on aspect ratios/resolutions

I have connected my Wii (16:9 and 480p) to the HC and I got mixed results.
There is something wrong with the aspect option from the monitor menu. The black bars are showing on the left and on the right of the screen. Should they be on the top and bottom?
Of course, the image is grainy but the Wii is too blame since it does not support very high resolution.

To be honest, I prefer to connect my Wii on my good old Sonly CRT (480i).

I think 480p is 720x480 (correct me if I'm wrong) which isn't 16:9 or 16:10 - it's 3:2 which is slightly less wide than the 16:10 ratio of the monitor

I think 480p is 720x480 (correct me if I'm wrong) which isn't 16:9 or 16:10 - it's 3:2 which is slightly less wide than the 16:10 ratio of the monitor

Well, I have found something strange with the Wii's widescreen option. You have the choice between 4:3 and 16:9. The screen options are 480p (EDTV or HDTV) and 480i.
Since, 720*480 is obviously not 16:9 then should I assume that Nintendo made a mistake with the widescreen description?

Just return it today back to DELL (service is great).

It is nice multimedia monitor. Great black color, no light bleeding.

BUT:
Color shift when I move my head just drive me crazy.
Bad banding in R, G and B gradients and even worse in a gray one (color banding).
Black is always crashed no mater that adjustment and calibration I did.

Calibration with eye one 2 and Spider didn't help.

Because I need something before I'll make choice just brought 2007FP (IPS panel) from my office.

Black is worse, some backlight bleeding but no banding - it is very smooth, no color shift and I can work with my pictures.

For me looks like there is no choice but IPS, probably 26" Planar.

There is no perfect monitor :(

Look in the menu.

To do this, turn the monitor off. Now hold down the menu button and the plus button at the same time. While holding the two buttons down turn on the monitor. When it turns on release all the buttons then press the minus button. The Dell hidden menu will then come up and you can see down the bottom it has 2407WFP-HC.
An easier way to tell is the + and - buttons have a little icon next to them that shows contrast and brightness. Normal 2407's don't have those icons.
Or the box will have rev A00 on the sticker.

yeah I noticed the last two things but call it superstition I wanted to see HC on the monitor somewhere

thanx

Woot.. it's here and all hooked up.. sitting on the floor atm so I can compare it with the P1130.

First impressions - Blacks on the LCD are much, much better than on the CRT :eek: This was something I wasn't expecting, they are absolutely gorgeous. Whites are also much brighter. Colors are brilliant - moving windows between the two displays is like night and day, the P1130 is extremely dull compared to this, and still can't manage good black levels. Same thing with sharpness, never noticed how not sharp the P1130 was until I moved stuff back and forth between the two displays. No dead pixels either, and I can't see any back light bleed.

I am noticing something weird with the mouse movement though, it might be input lag. I can't explain it, moving the mouse around just feels different between the two displays.. I definitely prefer the way it moves on the CRT, but it's really not a big deal at all either way. I think I'll get used to it quickly, I honestly don't even know if it's just something I made up in my head when I heard about input lag.

I was sort of regretting spending $600 on this, but not after I've seen it :D

Look in the menu.

To do this, turn the monitor off. Now hold down the menu button and the plus button at the same time. While holding the two buttons down turn on the monitor. When it turns on release all the buttons then press the minus button. The Dell hidden menu will then come up and you can see down the bottom it has 2407WFP-HC.

I couldnt get this to work? Any suggestions?

I just tried it out and it worked for me. It shows "DELL 2407WFP-HC" at the bottom.

I can't find a concrete answer and frankly don't want to look over the whole thread.

Can the 2407-HC do 1080p + HDCP through DVI?

Its available at Costco.com as of today for those who are interested. 7-10 days to ship though, and yes I just ordered one.

For the person with the P1130 and this monitor, if you've got a video card with 2 outputs on it, could you hook them both up at the same time, run clone mode, and then run a stopwatch app to check out lag? (Via taking multiple pics with a digicam)

For the person with the P1130 and this monitor, if you've got a video card with 2 outputs on it, could you hook them both up at the same time, run clone mode, and then run a stopwatch app to check out lag? (Via taking multiple pics with a digicam)

How would I go about doing this? I'm pretty curious myself, so I'll definitely give it a try (maybe right now if you tell me more about the test).

edit: Alright, I know how to do the test but can't find any software that goes to milliseconds :mad:

Alright, got a bunch of shots of the two monitors running with the 2407WFP-HC at 1920x1200 60hz and the P1130 cloned at 1600x1200 100hz (scrolls to the side to make 1920x1200). The shutter speed on my 350D was at 1/500s (2ms) for one burst and 1/640s (~1.5ms) for the other. Instead of posting all the screens here, I'll list a bunch of the ones that I can read.. lots of them are dark on the part of the CRT with the stopwatch because of the refreshes and quick shutter speed.

Code:
2407WFP-HC | P1130
12.983     | 13.018
26.015     | 26.027
26.733     | 26.765
27.828     | 27.838
28.200     | 28.200
28.545     | 28.578
28.900     | 28.932
30.382     | 30.399
30.736     | 30.768

Should be enough I hope? It looks like the maximum is around 35ms. That means it's behind by two frames (16.666 seconds / frame at 60hz, 33.333 seconds is two frames). Seems OK to me, as it's being compared to a (theoretically) lag-free monitor :confused: Definitely noticable, though..

Finally got mine, just wondering what you guys are using for color settings ?

I got one dead pixel btw :(

I set it to 99 red, 98 green, and 92 blue, seems to be OK for now. I'll fine adjust it as I work with more

Contrast at 75 and brightness at 20

Try running this program and have it run the pixel unsticker for a while.

Its available at Costco.com as of today for those who are interested. 7-10 days to ship though, and yes I just ordered one.

Whoopee!! I've been waiting and waiting for this! I'd rather buy from Costco than Dell. Just put my order in, too.

Mofongo

Alright, got a bunch of shots of the two monitors running with the 2407WFP-HC at 1920x1200 60hz and the P1130 cloned at 1600x1200 100hz (scrolls to the side to make 1920x1200). The shutter speed on my 350D was at 1/500s (2ms) for one burst and 1/640s (~1.5ms) for the other. Instead of posting all the screens here, I'll list a bunch of the ones that I can read.. lots of them are dark on the part of the CRT with the stopwatch because of the refreshes and quick shutter speed.

Code:
2407WFP-HC | P1130
12.983     | 13.018
26.015     | 26.027
26.733     | 26.765
27.828     | 27.838
28.200     | 28.200
28.545     | 28.578
28.900     | 28.932
30.382     | 30.399
30.736     | 30.768

Should be enough I hope? It looks like the maximum is around 35ms. That means it's behind by two frames (16.666 seconds / frame at 60hz, 33.333 seconds is two frames). Seems OK to me, as it's being compared to a (theoretically) lag-free monitor :confused: Definitely noticable, though..

Thanks for the results, but could you try it again with the CRT set to 60 HZ as well? Not having them at the same refresh rate complicates the issue and inflates the true amount of lag.

damned thing - costco are selling it in the states, yet dell uk still seem to be reluctant to recognise its existence.

I set it to 99 red, 98 green, and 92 blue, seems to be OK for now. I'll fine adjust it as I work with more

Contrast at 75 and brightness at 20

Try running this program and have it run the pixel unsticker for a while.

I can't see your monitor, so take this for what it's worth, but isn't that contrast too high.
I run mine at 48 and have no sign of crushed blacks at all.

I'm running
Red, 83
Green, 87
Blue, 89
Brightness 35
Contrast 48.

I can't see your monitor, so take this for what it's worth, but isn't that contrast too high.
I run mine at 48 and have no sign of crushed blacks at all.

I'm running
Red, 83
Green, 87
Blue, 89
Brightness 35
Contrast 48.

Not sure, I'll have to mess with it more later - I just went into the Dead pixel tester gradient screen, there's definitely crushed blacks at my current settings. Try doing the horizontal gradient test, I have like 1/2 inch of blacks that should be dark colors. To get them to change into colors I have to turn the brightness up to like 50, and with contrast at 50 brightness needs to be ~75-80.

edit: With brightness/contrast at 40/75 I can clearly see every one of the squares in the contrast test on this page.. as soon as I change brightness to 39 the square with RGB (1,1,1) goes away

Costco.ca (Canada) as well, 100$ cheaper than advertised on Dell.ca to boot, and only $10 more than NCIX' special of the week on the BenQ FP241WZ.

Seems we have a winner. Think it's also available in-store? Or online only?

I was looking at costco.ca too. The weird thing is earlier this week Dell.ca had it for 699 and now it's up to 899. Does anyone know if there is a way to check in store quantities? Cuz the last few Costco's I've been in haven't had anything but shitty monitors and nothing bigger than 19's...

Code:
2407WFP-HC | P1130
12.983     | 13.018
26.015     | 26.027
26.733     | 26.765
27.828     | 27.838
28.200     | 28.200
28.545     | 28.578
28.900     | 28.932
30.382     | 30.399
30.736     | 30.768

Thank you for the results repoman0, I second SeeTheSeer though in asking if you would be able to rerun this test with the CRT also at 60Hz to improve accuracy.

I was looking at costco.ca too. The weird thing is earlier this week Dell.ca had it for 699 and now it's up to 899. Does anyone know if there is a way to check in store quantities? Cuz the last few Costco's I've been in haven't had anything but shitty monitors and nothing bigger than 19's...

I believe that MOST of the stuff available through the website is NOT available in-store. You still have to order it. However, you can RETURN the product at one of the stores, which is a big plus. Especially if their return policy is anything like Best Buy's (and I believe it is.. 30 days, no questions asked).

I just returned from Costco and the Dell wasn't on display there. In fact, they had almost no computer monitors on display. I'm just going to order it from their website. I know someone once told me I can return any Costco.ca item at the counter of any store within 30 days, no problem.

I'll let everyone know how the ordering, shipping and installing went.

Edit : I placed the order via Costco.ca. Here's what the confirmation and return policy...

Subtotal: $699.99
Shipping & Handling: $0.00
GST: (6.00 %) $42.00
QST: (7.50 %) $55.65
Order Total: $797.64

Shop Confidently
(Merchandise Returns or Exchanges)

Costco.ca guarantees your satisfaction with the merchandise you purchase from us. If you are dissatisfied with your purchase, simply return it at any one of our Costco warehouses worldwide for a refund (including shipping and handling). If you are unable to return your order at one of our warehouses, please e-mail [email protected] or call our customer service centre at 1.888.426.7826 for assistance.

Alright, got a bunch of shots of the two monitors running with the 2407WFP-HC at 1920x1200 60hz and the P1130 cloned at 1600x1200 100hz (scrolls to the side to make 1920x1200).

Thanks much repoman0--finally a quantitative test. I'll third the request for you to re-do it with the CRT at 60 Hz also. Thanks for your effort on this.

Back