Dell 600M upgrades

PCBliss

Gawd
I picked up one of the Dell Inspiron 600Ms with 1GB of ram and DVD burner for $480 shipped....

I was thikning of upgrading the hard drive from a 5400 RPM to a 7200 RPM...

Also can the radeon 9000 graphics on this laptop be upgraded?

This also has a Celeron M and was wondering If i could put a Pentium M in?

hdd yes, video no, CPU yes.

Also, if you're interested, I have a new 600m-compatible modular bay battery if you're interested.

PCBliss said:
I was thikning of upgrading the hard drive from a 5400 RPM to a 7200 RPM...
This is definitely possible.

PCBliss said:
Also can the radeon 9000 graphics on this laptop be upgraded?
IIRC (and I'm pretty sure), the graphics are not upgradable.

PCBliss said:
This also has a Celeron M and was wondering If i could put a Pentium M in?
This should be possible, I know they are definitely sold with Pentium M's as well.

The 600m will work with the 400fsb pentium m chips. The graphics are built into the logic board and the only way to upgrade them would be to replace the logic board with the 64 meg version of it(the 2 options were a 32 or 64 meg ati 9000). Hard drive is very easy to upgrade.

i bought one of those also I love it. I was going to upgrade it but I decided not to. I get about 3 hours life on the battery and HELL it can play doom 3 it is so much better than I though it was going to be.

Firebomb said:
i bought one of those also I love it. I was going to upgrade it but I decided not to. I get about 3 hours life on the battery and HELL it can play doom 3 it is so much better than I though it was going to be.

bought one of what?

600m or the 64meg logic board?

Firebomb said:

I'd just search around for a cheap pentium m and upgrade it down the road when you get one for a good deal. Also for anyone that is interested in battery life you can get a battery that can go in place of the optical drive. One of my friends has one and can get over 7 hours with his.

where do i get one of those batteries?

And would changing from a Celeron M to a Pentium M really have a positive affect on battery life? They seem like they are the same voltage as the celeron M's

Yes, the P-M has SpeedStep, whereas the C-M does not. That reduces processor speed/volts when idling.

KevySaysBeNice said:
bought one of what?

600m or the 64meg logic board?

i bought one of them 600m's I have the 32 meg video. but it plays doom3 so hell I am happy

PCBliss said:
where do i get one of those batteries?

And would changing from a Celeron M to a Pentium M really have a positive affect on battery life? They seem like they are the same voltage as the celeron M's

You can get the battery direct from dell or hit up ebay for one. Since the dvdrw just pops out(as long as the lock screw is not in) you can drop in battery 2 for those long trips. As far as the celeron vs pentium m question yea the pentium m's speed step can add some time to the unit. My 600m with a pentium m would get about 3:20 minutes with a new battery. Thats with the older battery too. The new ones have a beefer battery by a few watts an hour. I have one of the newer batteries now but don't have any good figures on it. As I said if you can pick up like a 1.6 or 1.7 for less then 100 bucks when you catch one on a good day it would be a worth while upgrade.

swatbat said:
The 600m will work with the 400fsb pentium m chips.

So it wont work with the 533fsb chips??? Why? THe memory is PC2700... or the board just doesnt support it?

Back