Dell Motherboard questions

dlaxman31

Limp Gawd
Okay so my motherboard died! I took it into my geek squad and they said I have to get a "Dell" motherboard because of the case power hook ups. Is this true?!

If not I have a P4 HT so what sorta of options do I have. I don't want to through away everything since I put some cash into it. Trying to make a HTPC to

Dell will make custom motherboards for their cases with custom parts for front pannel connectors (and possibly other parts as well). It also looks like you didn't finish your sentance, but you can find boards for a HTPC that support your CPU with no problem. I just don't know what other hardware you want to connect to it.
Jason

I guess the big problem I'm going to have is the connection for the power. Is there any type of adaptor that I can get that will aid in a solution for this problem.

Replacing the power supply with one with a standard 20 (+4) motherboard connector and you should be able to use any board you want.

Do not connect any other kind of board to the old PSU. If it is the Dell PSUs I think it is 20 pin to the motherboard looks the same and will even hook up but it is wired completely differently. It will kill an ATX spec board. This is just another case of Dell doing their own thing for unknown reasons.

Okay so let me get this straight. Its my motherboard thats dead. In order to use that computer again (hoping to make into a HTPC in a year or so) I would need a new board to work with my CPU (obviously) and a new PSU?

This seems like an awful lot of work when one motherboard fails?!

Okay so let me get this straight. Its my motherboard thats dead. In order to use that computer again (hoping to make into a HTPC in a year or so) I would need a new board to work with my CPU (obviously) and a new PSU?

This seems like an awful lot of work when one motherboard fails?!

This is more because of having a Dell (and certain other big manufacturer computers). Normally, you'd probably just have to replace the motherboard, but if you're not going to be using a Dell board, you will have to switch the PSU if they are still using proprietary PSUs, which it sounds like they are.

However, there are exceptions to this so if you can give us the model number of your Dell we'd probably be able to say more. Additionally, there are adapters that convert the non-standard Dell ATX PSU wiring to a standard wiring layout so you can use their PSUs on a non-Dell system.

This is more because of having a Dell (and certain other big manufacturer computers). Normally, you'd probably just have to replace the motherboard, but if you're not going to be using a Dell board, you will have to switch the PSU if they are still using proprietary PSUs, which it sounds like they are.

However, there are exceptions to this so if you can give us the model number of your Dell we'd probably be able to say more. Additionally, there are adapters that convert the non-standard Dell ATX PSU wiring to a standard wiring layout so you can use their PSUs on a non-Dell system.

Picking up the Dell later today from the Geeks at BB (work there) and will be able to tell you more about the unit at that time. See what sorta PSU I'm working with and everything else too.

Back