Dell’s UltraSharp 2005FPW widescreen 20-inch LCD monitor.

I first thought this screen was it. The last two I could tell right away there was backlighting issues, this new one I didn't notice, except maybe the bottom left corner, but could have been a viewing angle thing.

Okay, here's two shots with different exposures:

Left (Original screen) Dec Rev00 --------- Middle (2nd replace) JanRev01 ------------ Right (First replace)

screen3_001.jpg

screen3_003.jpg

Just a shot with lighting so you can see the monitors themselves:
screen3_002.jpg

So out of the three, the 2nd replacement, the one in the middle, actually looks the best despite how it appears in the photos.

To be honest TimothyB I really don't think any of yours are that bad. I would be happy with any of the three. My 2005fpw shipped out today and will be here the 2nd of February. :cool: I'll keep you guys updated!

fusionrs said:
To be honest TimothyB I really don't think any of yours are that bad. I would be happy with any of the three. My 2005fpw shipped out today and will be here the 2nd of February. :cool: I'll keep you guys updated!

I do think that this whole thing may have gone a bit too far. Especially after seeing screenshots of an ACD in another thread which which I'm sure would have labeled as having mild leakage if it was a 2005FPW. I think that reading about this issue made me more sensitive to this issue than I would have been otherwise. Over the course of the past few weeks it's become apparent to me that most LCDs suffer from this to an extent. Yes, some 2005FPWs do so more than others, but the fact is that you simply won't find an LCD this big with a perfectly uniform black (or dark grey) screen in total darkness. Seriously, if you're considering a 2005FPW (or any other LCD for that matter) and you can't deal with some non-uniformity, then maybe LCDs aren't for you. I stand guilty myself as I went as far as initiating the replacement process for my 2005FPW but then realized that I'm only noticing the "leakage" when I turn the lights off and look for it.

I do think that there are screens going out occasionally with unacceptable levels of leakage. Yet there have been more than a few occasions where people have put up photos of near perfect 2005FPWs and then complained about the "peach leakage" which is just a viewing angle effect and which the ACD exhibits as well to a lesser degree. Given what many of us paid for the 2005FPW I don't think we have much to complain about.

ajabbari said:
I do think that this whole thing may have gone a bit too far. Especially after seeing screenshots of an ACD in another thread which which I'm sure would have labeled as having mild leakage if it was a 2005FPW. I think that reading about this issue made me more sensitive to this issue than I would have been otherwise. Over the course of the past few weeks it's become apparent to me that most LCDs suffer from this to an extent. Yes, some 2005FPWs do so more than others, but the fact is that you simply won't find an LCD this big with a perfectly uniform black (or dark grey) screen in total darkness. Seriously, if you're considering a 2005FPW (or any other LCD for that matter) and you can't deal with some non-uniformity, then maybe LCDs aren't for you. I stand guilty myself as I went as far as initiating the replacement process for my 2005FPW but then realized that I'm only noticing the "leakage" when I turn the lights off and look for it.

I do think that there are screens going out occasionally with unacceptable levels of leakage. Yet there have been more than a few occasions where people have put up photos of near perfect 2005FPWs and then complained about the "peach leakage" which is just a viewing angle effect and which the ACD exhibits as well to a lesser degree. Given what many of us paid for the 2005FPW I don't think we have much to complain about.

Werd :)

Even if some leaking is normal, why is it inconsistent. Like why is there no leaking in the bottom left corner of the Dec model while the Jan ones do. And the Jan ones have no leaking on the top left corner while the Dec does.

You'd think they could get it right. So far all three have had leaking on the top right corner. If one of them could of just had that, it would be great. And because of minor leaking on a bottom corner, it makes the peach effect 2 to 3 times the size of the other side that has no leaking.

Oh, and on the new screen there are two bad pixels I found through casual use. A blue dot on black near the bottom middle of the screen. Then a red one on white near the top middle of the screen.

TimothyB said:
Even if some leaking is normal, why is it inconsistent. Like why is there no leaking in the bottom left corner of the Dec model while the Jan ones do. And the Jan ones have no leaking on the top left corner while the Dec does.

You'd think they could get it right. So far all three have had leaking on the top right corner. If one of them could of just had that, it would be great. And because of minor leaking on a bottom corner, it makes the peach effect 2 to 3 times the size of the other side that has no leaking.

Oh, and on the new screen there are two bad pixels I found through casual use. A blue dot on black near the bottom middle of the screen. Then a red one on white near the top middle of the screen.

Like I have posted before I have seen many LCD's and my life and the bleeding is an issue in all of them. I am certain I will be happy with this LCD. For the price I cannot complain! Like posted elsewhere even the $1k HP 20 inch has bleeding. My brothers very expensive IBM laptop with the awesome screen has bleeding. They will all have "some sort" of bleeding.

fusionrs said:
Like I have posted before I have seen many LCD's and my life and the bleeding is an issue in all of them. I am certain I will be happy with this LCD. For the price I cannot complain! Like posted elsewhere even the $1k HP 20 inch has bleeding. My brothers very expensive IBM laptop with the awesome screen has bleeding. They will all have "some sort" of bleeding.

Laptops I expect to have bleeding. Usually at the bottom because that's where their light is, and it's even, strongest in the middle and weaker near the sides. I've seen laptops where the leaking goes halfway up the screen while my widescreen laptop has leaking less than an inch out and I call that perfect, again, for a laptop.

The 15inch Dell LCD I have, a old 2 year one, has no leaking at all. So I expected a high end 2005fpw to be just as good. Even though a laptop has leaking, if you buy the same one a dozen times the leaking is exactly the same as before, but this 2005fpw is wildly inconsistent. If there is suppose to be some leaking on the 2005fpw it should be the same on every one. Not stronger or weaker on another, not in a different corner than another, but exactly the same.

And already people have said the 2001fp had bad leaking originally, which is almost totally gone if not perfect now a days, so the same will probably happen to the 2005fpw. Why could they not get it right before releasing it instead of using us as a ginnie pigs?

TimothyB said:
Laptops I expect to have bleeding. Usually at the bottom because that's where their light is, and it's even, strongest in the middle and weaker near the sides. I've seen laptops where the leaking goes halfway up the screen while my widescreen laptop has leaking less than an inch out and I call that perfect, again, for a laptop.

The 15inch Dell LCD I have, a old 2 year one, has no leaking at all. So I expected a high end 2005fpw to be just as good. Even though a laptop has leaking, if you buy the same one a dozen times the leaking is exactly the same as before, but this 2005fpw is wildly inconsistent. If there is suppose to be some leaking on the 2005fpw it should be the same on every one. Not stronger or weaker on another, not in a different corner than another, but exactly the same.

And already people have said the 2001fp had bad leaking originally, which is almost totally gone if not perfect now a days, so the same will probably happen to the 2005fpw. Why could they not get it right before releasing it instead of using us as a ginnie pigs?

it took me 3x 2001FP's to get a perfect one, the firstone has uper left corner leaking and 1 dead pixel, the 2nd one had lower left leaking and 2 dead sub-pixels...

the third has 0 dead pixels and 0 backlight leackage, so they exist, however its much easier to find a perfect 2001FP than a 2005FPW currently

however, the leakage wasnt as bad as I've seen on some 2005FPW's so who knows...

You guys should visit the Apple discussion forums and look up the posts on 23" cinema displays. People are having some major issues with these and many of them paid more than $2000 for it. I've heard a lot of people say that their 15" or 17" LCD doesn't have leakage, and I'd tend to agree, but it seems that these issues become more apparent with larger LCDs (>20") so it's only fair to compare the 2005FPW against other screens its size. I've seen people complain about leakage on the HP 23" widescreen, the Samsung 213T, and the Sony 19" XBRITEs. So the Dells are not alone.

I think in the end what's important is whether you'd ever notice it if you were just using your computer as you normally do. If not, then why does it matter?

ajabbari said:
You guys should visit the Apple discussion forums and look up the posts on 23" cinema displays. People are having some major issues with these and many of them paid more than $2000 for it. I've heard a lot of people say that their 15" or 17" LCD doesn't have leakage, and I'd tend to agree, but it seems that these issues become more apparent with larger LCDs (>20") so it's only fair to compare the 2005FPW against other screens its size. I've seen people complain about leakage on the HP 23" widescreen, the Samsung 213T, and the Sony 19" XBRITEs. So the Dells are not alone.

I think in the end what's important is whether you'd ever notice it if you were just using your computer as you normally do. If not, then why does it matter?

The transition from CRT to LCD can be a little hard with having to live with some backlight bleeding that you've never had to deal with before. But overall, considering how CRTs are not as sharp, dim, alignment issues, uneven or blotchy whites, screen patterns and moire, ghosting or issues with harsh black against white, distortions on sides or where somtimes a circle will be thinner on one side of a screen, deminished quality over the years, deskspace and heat and emissions, etc. When you think about it, the backlight problems are hardly anything, if it's not too horrible. And all that I described as issues with CRTs is from a new decent rated $450 Viewsonic Graphics Series G220fb 21inch that I have at work. Plus the recent Sony 21inch screens I've used over 3 years have become washed out and blurry.

BinaryJay said:
So I wonder, where do we buy the refurbs for cheap? :)

I bet you'll have to pay more for the refurbs because they'll have no discounts while the new ones still do making them cheaper.

Hi,

I just got my Dell 2005 FPW. Everything works great in games but I am a little skeptical in DVD movies.

I know this monitor is a 16:10 ration but when I try widescreen dvd movies (tried 2-3) I still get 2 large black bars on top and bottom. I knew the bars would still be there but I though they would of been alot smaller than the ones I am getting.

Is it just me or I just dont see a big difference in the black bar surface on a 4:3 monitor that is watching a 16:9 movie than the bars I am getting watching this on my dell 16:10??

IMG_0021.jpg

From the pic I attached can you guys tell me if what I am viewing is normal for my monitor.

Thanks

Mcklain

Mcklain,
This is an age old question, Movies are not all made with the same aspect ratio, The reason HDTV's have different strech modes. Now depending on what your using to play your movie on this monitor, If you want the screen to be full with the movie it will have to be streched if the software your using allows for it. I dont know that they all do. I was looking for this option on what I use to play movies on my PC and didnt see it. But thanks to the strech modes built into my HDTV I never have black bars on my screen.

TimothyB said:

Let me also say this...your 15inch 2 year old Dell LCD isn't half as bright or crisp as this 2005fpw. If you say it is then you are full of utter crap! The bleeding is more apparent due to the very large screen and the tremendously bright display! end of story

Hi,

So is what I am getting at my screen normal for the movie I was refering to, wich is Matrix Reloaded??

Or am I doing something wrong?

LMK

Mcklain

Mcklain said:
Hi,

So is what I am getting at my screen normal for the movie I was refering to, wich is Matrix Reloaded??

LMK

Mcklain

normal

Mcklain said:
Hi,

LMK

Mcklain

That film is in Letterbox, so it's much wider than the normal 16:9, and the screen is 16:10, so the larger black bars are normal and your still getting a larger image on the 2005fpw than a normal 21inch CRT.

I don't believe people still ask this question. I had someone call me a couple of days ago throwing a tissy fit because "there should not be any bars on my new widescreen tv" I wanted to slap him.

Here are some aspect ratios

HDTV 16:9
Reg TV 4:3
MOST movies are either 2.35:1 or 1.85:1

Do the math and you will see that a display would have to be much wider than 16:9 to show a 2.35:1 without any bars. In fact 1.85:1 would not fit on a 16:9 display either if it wasn't for overscan.

fusionrs said:
Let me also say this...your 15inch 2 year old Dell LCD isn't half as bright or crisp as this 2005fpw. If you say it is then you are full of utter crap! The bleeding is more apparent due to the very large screen and the tremendously bright display! end of story

Your right, the 2005fpw is twice as bright. Though, I remember when I first got the 15inch next to my 21inch CRT Sony how it made the sony look horribly dim and blue. Now it's the opposite with the 2005fpw. Maybe the 15inch has dimmed over time, I had kept it at 30 percent brightness to help match the sony for the past couple years, but it's not as bright as I remember now that it is 100% again next to the 2005fpw. So maybe the 15inch has dimmed, or the 2005fpw is insanely bright.

J So said:
I don't believe people still ask this question. I had someone call me a couple of days ago throwing a tissy fit because "there should not be any bars on my new widescreen tv" I wanted to slap him.

Here are some aspect ratios

HDTV 16:9
Reg TV 4:3
MOST movies are either 2.35:1 or 1.85:1

Do the math and you will see that a display would have to be much wider than 16:9 to show a 2.35:1 without any bars. In fact 1.85:1 would not fit on a 16:9 display either if it wasn't for overscan.

If you are able to read my question properly I was asking if the bars were the right size. I never said that I didnt understand why the bars were still there. I knew they would of still be there.

Just read carefully before commenting.

Mcklain

Also, some movies are shot at 4:3 with the intent by the director to just crop of the top and bottom for theaters. Then when it comes to dvd they just uncrop the top and bottom. That means sometimes a fullscreen version you'll be seeing more than you saw in the theaters. Though, you'll be losing the original directors composition of the scenes, possibly making it less film like.

Easy explanation for Letterbox with pics:
http://www.firsttvdrama.com/show2/letterb.php3

BinaryJay said:
Google is a wonderful tool.

BinaryJay said:
Off the topic of the problems for a minute...

Those of us who own one already, have you found any good source for 1680x1050 wallpapers? I noticed a bunch of fug. ones at deviantart, but haven't really been able to find nice ones anywhere else.

I guess there's always finding a simple one at lower resolution and extending it in PS.

Yea....ain't it?

Hmm... asking for a very specific file which is as easy to find yourself as the search string ... Nemo 1680x1050 ... and asking for a tip for possibly obscure locations of sites which stand a very good chance of not being indexed at all are completely different things.

By the way, here is the #1 Google search result.... it has 4 nemo wallpapers in 2005FPw's native resolution, it took me 2 seconds to find them on my own steam.

http://www.macdesktops.com/?uid=66.249.64.79.1104630862.6991&res=TRUE&category=995

Well, I recieved my 'replacement' monitors today from dell (they sent me two, one through eCare and one through the phone.)

First of all, both are "Refrubished," and I don't think anyone from Dell actually fixed these monitors. :eek: After all, how do you fix bright green clusters of dead pixels. I can't believe they actually sent these out the door. It is quite appearent that no one even looked at the shape these monitors were in.

The first one I turned on and immedeatly noticed three dead bright green pixels in the center right of the screen. Turned it off, packed it back in the box.

I powerd up the second and noticed something I've never seen before. It looks like about three pixels, all right next to eachother, are stuck bright green. YOU CAN SEE THIS ACROSS MY CO WORKERS OFFICE WITH THE LIGHTS ON!!!!! If these monitors are 'refurbished' this one would have never passed inspection.

Just for fun, I'm keeping this one on all day to see if they fixed the backlight problem.

Let's look up the word 'refurbished' in the dictionary:

Refurbished
tr.v. re·fur·bished, re·fur·bish·ing, re·fur·bish·es

To make clean, bright, or fresh again; renovate.

I really don't think they 'renovated' these monitors. If any quality control person would have looked at them, they would have been thrown in the trash.

I'll be keeping my second replacement since it's obvious they will never fix this problem.

Any as most have said, I think the problem is going away with continuted use and cleaning.

Getting a refurbished 2005FPW is pointless. Why would you want someone else's returned monitor? It was returned because there is something wrong with it and Dell are passing the problem on to you. Dell can't do anything to fix the monitors because the panel is manufactured by LG and the stand/bezel by Benq (as far as I know). Dell just slap a logo on it and sell it.

I would imagine most refurbs suffer from several dead pixels as that would be the main reason why people return an LCD. Backlighting is a less obvious problem to the average computer user.

Unless you can get a brand new replacement you're probably better off sticking with what you already have. You could get very lucky and land a near flawless refurbished model but it's unlikely!

Sidane said:
Getting a refurbished 2005FPW is pointless. Why would you want someone else's returned monitor? It was returned because there is something wrong with it and Dell are passing the problem on to you. Dell can't do anything to fix the monitors because the panel is manufactured by LG and the stand/bezel by Benq (as far as I know). Dell just slap a logo on it and sell it.

I would imagine most refurbs suffer from several dead pixels as that would be the main reason why people return an LCD. Backlighting is a less obvious problem to the average computer user.

Unless you can get a brand new replacement you're probably better off sticking with what you already have. You could get very lucky and land a near flawless refurbished model but it's unlikely!

They didn't tell me they were going to be refurbished. I agree with you, I knew there was no way they could actually fix them.

I was being sarcastic in my post.

Sidane said:

I think the whole thing is manufactured by LG. I was at Microcenter last week where I saw a widescreen LG Flatron (I didn't know they existed, though it figures given they make the panels). It had bleeding identical to the 2005FPW. Actually it was worse in that when you pressed lightly on the affected area it would "pop" back and get much worse and it was bright enough to be visible even in the store (pretty bright lighting). So if LG can't make their own Flatrons right it's not a wonder the 2005FPWs are coming out half-baked. After what I saw it actually seems like Dell may be filtering out the really bad ones, though not to the extent that Apple does. I really like the LG panel's properties, but it looks like maybe it would be cheaper for Dell to look at alternatives if LG is so inept at assembling these.

On a positive note, as I've mentioned before it looks like my panel is evening out a bit over time. This may not be the case on the panels with major assembly issues where the screen moves (isn't secured properly) but it good news for minor leakage situations. After almost a month of use I can say that I'm really very pleased with my 2005FPW. It's a great LCD for the price.

after a *few* exchanges, i managed to get a perfect one...and it feels great, to own such an awesome lcd at this price ($500, at the time).

man, i didn't realize this thread has over 1000+ posts! crazy. meaning it has about 800+ comments backlight issue...lol.

also, anandtech is going to be reviewing this in a couple of weeks. i cant wait. i already know i love this baby...but i would still like to know how it compares to other brands, though i suspect it bests them all. :)

Alright, well my screen has bleeding in the top-left corner, not TOO bad, but it's there... 1 dead subpixel (maybe 2, but looks more like 1), and it has a peach-ish/pink-ish hue coming from the 2 bottom corners... is this normal? The peach bugs me more than the backlight leakage, I think. When I'm looking at any dark screen, the peach is there. It's as if I'm viewing it from an extreme angle (same colour shift) but i'm directly in front of the screen. I'm seeing similar pics in the rest of this thread.

I'll try to attatch a pic, which I overexposed so the effects are exaggerated. Should I keep this one? I just ordered an exchange, so I'll see how that one is... but I thought I'd check with the experts in exchanges here :p

Steve

Bad pic... compressed jpg... crooked, overexposed etc. etc. but still an example:
stevemonitor.jpg

looks fine...the peach is normal. the subdead pixel doesn't look too annoying. backlight is looks good.

if this screen still bothers you, just *return* it...dont bother for an exchange, cause it'll take you a few more tries before you get one better than this (if ever, depending on your luck). so better to just avoid wasting your/dell's time.

i honestly think you'll *forget* about the flaws after using it for a month or so. i remember when i was stuck with one that had like 7 dead pixels, and some annoying neon green and red ones in the middle.

i eventually got used to it. and never really cared for it or paid any attention to it. but decided to give it one last exchange since i figure 7 is a little much and i can probably get a better one.

i also had one with backlight problem too...i thought it was strange at first, and a bit annoying in doom 3. but my annoyance only exploded when i started reading posts on this forum. for some reason other people's problem only exagerated mine even more.

goes to show you what this problem has become.

Yes, the peach is a viewing angle issue, and not something I would consider a defect or even a problem. Try sitting back a little farther if you are able to (or push the monitor further back on your desk). If my face is about 2 feet from the screen, I get peach in the corners unless I'm right dead center. Sitting back another foot or two, it's a lot more forgiving and not really any harder to see things on the screen. Also try to make sure you're not sitting higher or lower than the monitor so that you're forced to look up or down at it, because that will bring out the peach as well.

My 21 days is up or nearly up and I'm keeping my original Jan 05 A01. It's got some subpixels which seem to be stuck only on a black background, with the brightest being a red one about 2 inches above and an inch to the left of the D in Dell. I can't see it unless I'm specifically looking for it, so it doesn't bug me. The backlighting has smoothed out except for the top right (other three corners are fine). I can't see this at all with normal desktop/web use. I can see it somewhat in games if that area is supposed to be dark. I mainly notice it in movies where there are a lot of dark scenes or it's a wide aspect ratio and I have black bars at top and bottom. But like I said before, it's about a 3 or 4 out of 10 on the annoying scale, so I think I can live with it (not that I wouldn't necessarily trade in if say, Dell announced 3 months from now that the problem was totally fixed and they'd recall all older builds). Otherwise this monitor has been a joy to use and it'd be hard to go back to my old one. My parents have a decent 19" CRT but using it shows me just how good the Dell is. The CRT doesn't feel a whole lot smaller but it's very dim and fuzzy in comparison and feels like the screen is sloping away from you (because it's curved and not flat). My 17" CRT is the same way but worse because it's older and smaller. I still say this monitor kicks ass, with a few caveats, namely the price you paid for it ($550 in my case, which gives it more leeway than if I'd paid MSRP), what sort of display you're coming from, how bad dead pixels and backlighting are in your particular case, and how willing/able you are to ignore said pixels and backlighting in your everyday use. If you're coming from an old CRT and get a good 2005fpw at a low price, you'll be thrilled.

Back