Dell UP3214Q, UP2414Q; Can you guess what the Q stands for?

The press release is ridiculously light on details.

Agree with zoku, looks like it is using the following panel: Sharp LQ315D1LG91

Release date: Q4 2013

It is not a re-badge of the PN-K321 like the PQ-321Q was.

dsc05164.jpg

I think I see:
Regular DisplayPort
Mini DisplayPort
HDMI
USB (3?) B
3x USB (3?) A

So definitely no HDMI dual support.

Last edited:

That would be absolutely sweet, and I would pull the trigger day one.

But realistically though, I doubt it will be anywhere near $2000. The Asus 4k is $3500. I don't see any reason for Dell to drop the price that significantly just to attract customers.

That would be absolutely sweet, and I would pull the trigger day one.

But realistically though, I doubt it will be anywhere near $2000. The Asus 4k is $3500. I don't see any reason for Dell to drop the price that significantly just to attract customers.
With time, yields will increase and prices will fall. Also, Dell places orders that are an order of magnitude larger than Asus's orders. I think $1999-2199 MSRP is entirely realistic for a device that ships in late November.

With time, yields will increase and prices will fall. Also, Dell places orders that are an order of magnitude larger than Asus's orders. I think $1999-2199 MSRP is entirely realistic for a device that ships in late November.

Hmm....thats an interesting proposition....but I dunno, I still feel its unrealistic. I do agree with your "yields will increase and prices will fall" statement.....but not when the 4k market is still barely saturated.

Anyway if it turns out true, and they start at $2000 a pop....I'm buying one as soon as it goes live.

Very interesting. If it has low input lag this will be the ultimate gaming monitor. Of course even my two GTX 780 in SLI won't suffice! Quad Titan/GTX 780?

I'm predicting the Korean brands are going to be coming in on the 32" and 39" 4K monitor market pretty quickly. Seiki can make a TV with the 39" 4k glass and sell it for $700. I cant see a better controller board with DP pushing that cost up past $900...

The only "problem" I see gaming at 4K is the textures. Software developers currently are working on the gold resolution: 1920x1080 and the processing power of the upcoming consoles that isn't enough to fill up all the textures. So you will have some great images at 4K combined with low texture ones.

Regardless of price, I will be waiting for the second revision of these monitors. It doesn't seem worthwhile to take the 4K plunge yet for gaming, for professional use it's a different story.

Regardless of price, I will be waiting for the second revision of these monitors.

Given the horrific problems with Dell's quality control (see U3014, 2713HM obvious problems), I would too stay away from these for a long long time...

Can you summarise the issues for me please?

On my U2713HM I haven't had nor of the issues a lot of people seem to complain about but, alas, one very disgusting dead pixel just appeared almost at the center of the screen.

With my U2913WM that I'm returning I have had a terrible experience with input lag issues. The lag is terrible. To this day DELL isn't fixing the lag issue this monitor (basically the same as the LG) has though LG has actually fixed it.

On such a expensive monitor as the 4K DELL will be, I'm certainly wating, if ever, for a third revision not matter how desperate I could be.

Can you summarise the issues for me please?

In general: bleeding (2713HM, 3014), cross-hatching (2713HM, 3014), strange pixelation (3014). The 3014 is truly haunted by these, for 2713HM the last reports seem kinda promising.
There are loads of relevant posts, you could eg try the following posts/threads:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1754377
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1710005&page=51

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040043789&postcount=7
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1756207

Last edited:
Very interesting. If it has low input lag this will be the ultimate gaming monitor. Of course even my two GTX 780 in SLI won't suffice! Quad Titan/GTX 780?

You're two GTX 780's will be fine. JJ from Asus and Ryan from PCper both tested the Asus 4k, and it doesn't require four Titans to play. This is assuming you be smart, and not run 8X MSAA on your 4k display. Anybody who does is idiotic.

Don't forget about the U2713HM's image retention (common AH-IPS issue) & the 3014's flickering scan lines. Also, all of Dells newer models except for the U2713HM have really obvious overshoot ghosting & twice as much input lag (30ms) vs. competitors (<18ms).

Best to just wait for another manufacturer use these panels (Eizo/NEC/ViewSonic) or wait for Samsung to create 4k PLS panels

You're two GTX 780's will be fine. JJ from Asus and Ryan from PCper both tested the Asus 4k, and it doesn't require four Titans to play. This is assuming you be smart, and not run 8X MSAA on your 4k display. Anybody who does is idiotic.

Could you enlighten an idiot like me as to why one would be an idiot running 8X MSAA on a 4k display?

Could you enlighten an idiot like me as to why one would be an idiot running 8X MSAA on a 4k display?

There should be almost no need to run AA on a 4k display. The pixel density will take care of that. If you really have to turn on AA, then 2x is the most you should ever need for a 4k display. With that said, two 780's will suffice for most situations on 4k resolution.

Then you got guys screaming bloody mary....that games like Metro LL and Crysis 3 require four Titans at 4k to be anywhere remotely playable. Yeah thats true if you run something stupid like 8X MSAA....but if you turn off AA then you won't need four Titans, two will suffice.

I'm speaking from experience here. I run a 30 inch 1600p monitor....and even that monitor doesn't have the highest pixel density....the 27 inch 1440p ones have a higher density than mine. But all I do is run 2x AA or zero AA, and everything looks fine.

Don't forget about the U2713HM's image retention (common AH-IPS issue) & the 3014's flickering scan lines. Also, all of Dells newer models except for the U2713HM have really obvious overshoot ghosting & twice as much input lag (30ms) vs. competitors (<18ms).

Best to just wait for another manufacturer use these panels (Eizo/NEC/ViewSonic) or wait for Samsung to create 4k PLS panels

To be fair, most of the Dell's have a "game mode" that practically eliminates input lag which is a good move. TFTCentral reported the U3014 game-mode to have virtually zero input lag. Plus the new Dell lines also have a greatly improved AR film and zero-PWM features, all great moves. That being said, they still do have their issues. Besides a huge defect dead pixel line down the whole right side of a customers U3014, it did have massive IPS glow which I can't stand. The ghosting overshoot you mention also makes the new Dell line poorer than standard 60 Hz IPS for motion.

The Game Modes have locked color settings & poor factory settings so it's a moot feature

Back