DFI LANPARTY DK P35-T2, NB temp has suddenly gone way up, reasons?

Baker_God

[H]ard|Gawd
my NB on this board has always run a bit high, mid-40's, but now it's idleing at 56C and getting up to 70c during load. I'm a bit confused, my system is overclocked but the temps have never been this bad. It just started rebooting in games the other day and I checked my temps and it was way up. The heatsink is hot enough to burn my finger. The cpu and gpu are both on water, the nb is the only thing that is air cooled. Anybody have any ideas as to why my NB is suddenly on fire? I've just recently added a GTX 260 and I think my psu might not have enough juice to cover everything. Could this be a reason?

That's a 520 watt PSU?

I can pretty much GUARANTEE that with you using a GTX260 AND A 4 ghz overclock, you're overdriving that PSU at load.

No idea why this would heat up the northbridge though. You should definitely grab a high quality 750W PSU as soon as you can.

Since i know you have some free time, try your old card. I bet you the northbridge doesn't get as hot, right?

Could be. Unfortunately you can't cool the NB with aftermarket cooling or your warranty is void. DFI sucks like that.

That's a 520 watt PSU?

I can pretty much GUARANTEE that with you using a GTX260 AND A 4 ghz overclock, you're overdriving that PSU at load.

You have a bit of a skewed perspective of how much power computers use. Although I would not trust a Powerstream 520W with that system for different reasons, it is very unlikely, if not impossible, that the rig in question will require 520W in DC power. A 750W PSU is certainly not necessary for this kind of system. For the record, I'm running a quad overclocked to 3.8GHz with a 4870 (which uses more power than a GTX260) on a 520W Corsair PSU without overloading it, and there's no way that a 4GHz dual-core chip and a GTX260 would use more power than that.

Anyway, that has absolutely nothing to do with an overheating northbridge, and that issue would certainly not be caused by a deficient PSU. It could be that the heatsink came a bit loose for some reason, or that the thermal paste between the NB chip and the heatsink needs to be replaced. Baker_God, I suggest that you remove the NB heatsink, reapply thermal paste, remount it securely, and then see if your temps have improved.

well that's the problem, the northbridge heastsink is mounted fine. In fact it's scorching hot to the touch, so the heat is getting through no problem. I'm just trying to figure out what caused it, the temp issue just kinda popped up over night.

Has the airflow in your case changed at all? Try placing a fan over the heatsink and see what effect that has on your temps.

Before you void your warranty by changing the paste, check your airflow, make sure your fans aren't dead and are still plugged in, reset your bios (check your NB voltage setting as well)

nb voltage is set to default, air flow has not changed and I've reset my bios a few times playing around with different settings. The nb just runs really hot for no reason, it's frusterating.

Back