DFI P965-S - Newbie Need Help: Unstable with 4GB (4x1GB) RAM

rybeck

Limp Gawd
Hi,

I am struggling to settle down stable OC with 4 sticks (total 4GB) on my current rig. Spec is following..

DFI Infinity P965-S with BIOS (4/24)
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.4GHz
4 GB CORSAIR TWIN2X2048-6400C4 DDR2 800 (PC 6400) 4-4-4-12
Antec Neo Power 480W
BFG 7950GT OC 512MB
74GB WD Raptor SATA
300GB Maxtor DiamondMax 10 SATA
XP Pro x64 SP2
Thermalright Ultra-120 extreme HSF

Since the day-1 I built this, I had no satisfying OC, and I tried various different approach in no luck. e.g. change the HSF, switch the RAM sitting, unplug the extra USB 2.0 connection etc..
No matter how low (or even default setting (done by clear CMOS)) setting I start with, once I started Ortho with 4 sticks, it failed by either showing "error message" or turn-off automatically...
Yesterday, all of sudden I just gave a shot with only two sticks sitting on 1st and 3rd slots (which was tottal 2GB), and I made fairly satisfying result...
Followings are some pictures I took.

(1) With 2 sticks: OC goes alright..

(2) With 2 sticks: OC goes alright..Ortho stays over 9 minutes..

(3) With 4 sticks: Ortho failed

(4) With 4 sticks: Ortho failed.. This is shot made before Orthos started.. which failed and restarted computer automatically..

(5) With 4 sticks: Ortho failed

(6) With 4 sticks: Ortho failed.. very second after this shot, computer restarted automatically..

I have mixed doubt, and one of them is my PSU (480W) which I believe it is not quite big enough... But is it big deal to use 4 sticks over 2 sticks to give too much load on PSU? Is that why my computer automatically restarted while Orthos is running?

I need some help.. ~

you could try bumping up your cpu voltage to around 1.4 and retesting, also look up the suggested voltage for your ram as 1.5v seems rather low.

you could try bumping up your cpu voltage to around 1.4 and retesting, also look up the suggested voltage for your ram as 1.5v seems rather low.

I guess I know how to bump upcore voltage, but which one is for memory voltage? If you meant by DRAM voltage, it is setup as 2.1v..

Please correct me if it is not correct...

Back