Diagnosing the issue

board2death986

[H]ard|Gawd
First rig in sig. It's using an older 600w ST60F Silverstone and some say it should run that setup fine, but I occasionally get random shut offs during heavy loads in games and major lag sometimes just cruising the desktop. Has to be the PSU right?

Has to be the PSU right?

Not really as HOOfan1 said: The crashes can be related to the PSU but the lag during cruising is probably not. It could be mobo, GPU or HDD related. Just some basic troubleshooting:
[Testing the RAM]
Download Memtest86+ v2.11 or whatever the latest version is, unzip it, burn the ISO file to a CD, and then boot from it, just like you would do with the XP/Vista install CD. Let Memtest+ run for at least three hours on each stick of RAM separately as well as test the RAM all together. Go for a full 24 hours if you want to be completely sure that the RAM is not a problem. If you start seeing errors, than your RAM is defective or you have incorrect settings for the RAM.

[Testing the Hard drive]
Download the CD image of Hitachi Drive Fitness Test, burn the ISO file to a CD, and then boot from it, just like you would do with the XP/Vista install CD. Test the hard drive and see if any problems are found. DFT will run on most manufacturers' hard drives. Alternatively, you can use Seagate's SeaTools for DOS to test a Seagate or Maxtor drive. For a Western Digital drive, you could use Data Lifeguard Tools for DOS to test a Western Digital drive.

[Testing the CPU]
Use Prime 95, OCCT, Orthos or Intel Burn Tool to stress test the CPU.

[Testing the GPU]
Use Furmark or ATI Tool to stress test the GPU. If you see any artifacts, the GPU could be overheating, too overclocked, or faulty.

System no longer has those "lag" sessions but I still get random shut downs during heavy load games like crysis, oblivion, etc. System goes off and reboots, that's about all the clues I have to go on.

Watt are your temps?

Yeah, look at the temps closely.

OP try running your machine with the case cover off and a fan on it, does it help?

My money would be on the gfx card over heating, if OCed notch it back

Seems like the only game that crashes now is Crysis, so the gfx card could be the cuplrit. It is running at stock settings, but last I checked it was getting to about 70 C during load

Seems like the only game that crashes now is Crysis, so the gfx card could be the cuplrit. It is running at stock settings, but last I checked it was getting to about 70 C during load

That's a normal temp for load. It's probably a driver related issue, try some older and newer drivers.

got as high as the mid 80's, but it didn't crash during the test (odd, was running crysis wars for 30 mins straight, checking temps periodically). I'll try downloading some new drivers though

Back